Sponsored by:

Proper use of Touch-up Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 08:10 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Proper use of Touch-up Paint

Obviously throughout the ages this has been addressed in some form or fashion. But we are in driving season and we need to review.

In all of my years of using touch-up paint, I put it on and, if there is that little "bubble" of paint, I feel that this must be addressed immediately. In fact even Dr Colorchip gives to gives you rubber gloves to whisk this away before disaster occurs and you need to send your car to the crusher.

To this day, in spite of a learning experience I had from my paintless dent guy (below), I do it what everyone seems to do. As a result, on every car, I have a couple of little "body color:" stone chips.

Maybe this isn't necessary

I asked my dent guy to fix an issue on a black E-Class MB where the paint was also unfortunately chipped to the primer. As an aside I asked, "hey I do have some touch-up paint for this car. Can you go ahead and do that for me?" He's hesitant, but agrees to do it. So he calls me out and shows me the nasty dent he totally made disappear, and then I see the "bubble" of touch up paint and think that my last suggestion was a mistake. He says "don't worry about the paint bubble. That solvent will evaporate and it will be perfectly flush." And he was totally correct. It was the only application of touchup paint to a serious chip that actually worked!.

Before, and possibly somewhat embarrassingly after, I had been afraid to have a"bubble", but what he did was a perfect touchup to a chip..

Anyone want to weigh in on this? Anyone using touchup paint to the extent that chip totally disappears?
Old 05-27-2018, 09:10 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Very hard to pull it off but it can be done. I use a tiny model paint brush, and I mean tiny. Try to fill the spot can take a few days, if using OEM paint, lacquer thinner on a paper towel can level and remove excess similar to dr. Color chip. I would think if you have the time and skill you could fill the chip over a few days and color sand the spot then polish it but I am not gonna color sand any Porsche paint, lol.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:05 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

use a toothpick or needle or sharp object. Pick up a drop of paint and put it in the chip. repeat untill it is filled. if you overlap the chip or fill it over the paint height, it is too much paint

Quick Reply: Proper use of Touch-up Paint