Sponsored by:

Best Driving Roads... State-By-State

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 12:03 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Burren
Texas, Houston area: literally nothing. It sucks, hahaha.
Nonsense.

The following 2 users liked this post by 911-TOUR:
md1046swt (07-05-2019), TXGerman (10-20-2021)
Old 02-17-2019, 02:35 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
This.

Fricken sick road !!
Old 02-17-2019, 11:30 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 353 Posts
Default IOWA - Loess Hills Scenic Byway

Loess Hills Scenic Byway is a great drive (which is hard to come by in Iowa) and the Schonesland Porsche Club (Des Moines) does an annual drive to enjoy the great scenery and the roads.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:48 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by passion4audio

I’ll start:

CALIFORNIA (Southern)
“Pine to Palms Scenic Byway”
Start City: Temecula
End City: Palm Desert
Miles: Approx. 60

Link: https://www.total911.com/pine-to-pal...alifornia-usa/

Directions from Temecula:

Take CA Highway 79 South. You slowly climb into the mountains.
Continue past Vail Lake Resort.
Enjoy 13 miles of Hwy. 79 until you come to CA-371 East / Cahuilla Road in Aguanga. - Take an immediate left at the stop, and follow the signs to Palm Desert.

Continue on CA-371 for 20-plus miles through the town of Anza until you come upon Highway 74, and turn towards Palm Desert. From Palm Desert, it’s only about 30 minutes to Palm Springs - and all the options that offers.

My son and I had a great time driving this road. Very beautiful scenery and fun roads. Saw two Porsches along the way. From Palm Desert, it's only about 30 minutes to Palm Springs and all of its housing and entertainment options.
For those old enough to remember, the twisty section of Highway 74 is where the beginning of the 1960's movie, Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World was filmed. I've always wanted to drive that road as I visit the area frequently, but would be in a rental car and not my 911 :-(

Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:04 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 220 Posts

Just got back from doing the North NJ Skyline Drive route. I could see where it would be fun, if I had done as others have said and arrived very early in the morning. Road surface is okay. Lots of hills and turns.

There were too many people meandering through the route when I got there around 2:30 or so this afternoon. One knock on it is that there are a few too many places where cars might enter the road, some around blind hills or curves. But the views over the lakes in the area are very nice. I had plenty of time to admire then while I chugged along at 30 mph behind large SUVs.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:19 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Lake Shore Dr. @ 3am.

Honorably mention, lower Wacker Dr.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:42 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by V999
Just got back from doing the North NJ Skyline Drive route. I could see where it would be fun, if I had done as others have said and arrived very early in the morning. Road surface is okay. Lots of hills and turns.

There were too many people meandering through the route when I got there around 2:30 or so this afternoon. One knock on it is that there are a few too many places where cars might enter the road, some around blind hills or curves. But the views over the lakes in the area are very nice. I had plenty of time to admire then while I chugged along at 30 mph behind large SUVs.
‘Sunday’s are tough in NJ - way too much traffic. Also, there’s generally a fair amount of police presence on Skyline - if I venture over there I do it on a weekday between 10 AM and 2 PM.

‘’Google the Walpack Inn - great road a few epic turns, tight, technical, hardly any side streets, very few homes as most of the area is National Park Service Land, road surface is so - so but it will keep you honest.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:51 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

UT-158 from Eden, Utah to Powder Mountain ski area

This thread needs more pics!

The drive to Powder Mountain from Eden, Utah is fun, especially on nice fall day. It's a dead-end road to a ski resort that's dead in the off-season. So, that means almost NO OTHER TRAFFIC. Very nice.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:16 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim137a
‘Sunday’s are tough in NJ - way too much traffic. Also, there’s generally a fair amount of police presence on Skyline - if I venture over there I do it on a weekday between 10 AM and 2 PM.

‘’Google the Walpack Inn - great road a few epic turns, tight, technical, hardly any side streets, very few homes as most of the area is National Park Service Land, road surface is so - so but it will keep you honest.
I'll check it out, thanks. That whole area is really pretty nice on both sides of the bridge.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

I'll check it out, thanks. That whole area is really pretty nice on both sides of the bridge.
If you’re up in that area after you do Route 615 head to the Dingmans Ferry Bridge - make sure you have a dollar bill as they only accept cash.

1 - After crossing the bridge follow route 739

2 - Set your GPS to 550 Log Tavern Rd. Dingmans Ferry PA.

3 - Your next heading is 803 Raymondskill Rd. Milford, PA.

4 - Next is 988 Twin Lakes Rd. Shohola, PA - follow that over to Barryville, NY. There’s a fairly decent place there to grab a bite to eat. The Carriage House Barryville, NY.

5 - Take 97 S thru Hawks Nest and onto Port Jervis.

Dingmans Ferry Bridge

Hawks Nest Route 97 - just North of Port Jervis, NY
Old 02-19-2019, 05:28 PM
ZA206
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll just leave this here.... if you guys haven't heard of the Dragon in NC, I'd be shocked.

https://tailofthedragon.com/

Diamondback in NC is also awesome...

-ZA
Old 02-19-2019, 05:32 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim137a
If you’re up in that area after you do Route 615 head to the Dingmans Ferry Bridge - make sure you have a dollar bill as they only accept cash.

1 - After crossing the bridge follow route 739

2 - Set your GPS to 550 Log Tavern Rd. Dingmans Ferry PA.

3 - Your next heading is 803 Raymondskill Rd. Milford, PA.

4 - Next is 988 Twin Lakes Rd. Shohola, PA - follow that over to Barryville, NY. There’s a fairly decent place there to grab a bite to eat. The Carriage House Barryville, NY.

5 - Take 97 S thru Hawks Nest and onto Port Jervis.
Wow. That looks like an awesome drive. Thanks for laying out the way-points. My ex-GF has a lake house, somewhere in the Poconos, which we've gotten to by crossing at Dingman's Ferry. She's been trying to get me back up there, so next good weather weekend, I'll probably grab her and take a spin up that way and do that route.

I did the "Watchung Long Route" from the Porsche GTS Community web app over lunchtime today (https://www.porsche.com/microsite/gt...track/nYmBnRG0). It was pretty nice, if a bit short. Very few other cars; none going in my direction. Decent road surface. I worried a bit about deer, but that's always a worry pretty much anywhere these days, even in suburban areas.

I picked up the car 9 days ago and have put on about 950 miles. Another 1050 to go before I can stand on the go pedal.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:50 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

My favorite road in the DC Metro area is by far GW Memorial Parkway. Connects Mclean to MT Vernon (George Washington's home); to avoid traffic, I'd suggest an early-ish morning drive on a weekend. Drive the whole thing from top to bottom .. a few lights in the way in Alexandria, but that's a nice place to stop and grab a cup of coffee before continuing on down the road.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:57 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Wow. That looks like an awesome drive. Thanks for laying out the way-points. My ex-GF has a lake house, somewhere in the Poconos, which we've gotten to by crossing at Dingman's Ferry. She's been trying to get me back up there, so next good weather weekend, I'll probably grab her and take a spin up that way and do that route.

I did the "Watchung Long Route" from the Porsche GTS Community web app over lunchtime today (https://www.porsche.com/microsite/gt...track/nYmBnRG0). It was pretty nice, if a bit short. Very few other cars; none going in my direction. Decent road surface. I worried a bit about deer, but that's always a worry pretty much anywhere these days, even in suburban areas.

I picked up the car 9 days ago and have put on about 950 miles. Another 1050 to go before I can stand on the go pedal.
I’m not sure if you’re aware of the new App from Porsche called “ Road Trip “. It will generate random routes for you based on your current location. Also, it has a bunch of pre layed out trips with hotels, restaurants etc.

here’s the link for the App on the Apple Store (its also available for android ).

Porsche Road Trip by Porsche Digital Inc.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pors...441643910?mt=8
Old 02-19-2019, 11:11 PM
pharaohjrb
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Minnesota:

From Ely to Highway 61 in Northern Minnesota. Ely being the gateway to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, and Highway 61 running along the North Shore of Lake Superior makes the trip worthwhile to see both sides of this amazing route that connects the two. Recently repaved and smooth as glass for most of the trip.

Quick Reply: Best Driving Roads... State-By-State