Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Driving Roads... State-By-State

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019 | 01:15 PM
dbk123
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nephroid
One of my favorite roads. Just a beautiful area in general.
I agree the Kanc is great, but it gets crowded on weekends when the weather is nice. Route 118 heading into North Woodstock is pretty nice too and can make for a nice loop in the White Mountains.
Old 05-02-2019 | 10:01 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

New Jersey - see the attached maps for a decent ride that would make a decent short day trip.

to start take 80 West and get off exit 12 and set you GPS to Stillwater, NJ.

once you get to Stillwater set the GPS top 901 Fairview Lake Rd. Newton - once you’re on Fairview Lake Rd head towards Culvers Inlet which will take you out to Route 206 just South of Stokes State Forest - plenty of decent roads in that area.

Fairview Lake Road isn’t that long but it has plenty of great turns and an absolutely smooth surface with some great scenery- I thought it was awesome

The 3 pics are on Struble Road in Sandyston - tight twisty - runs through deep forest in NJ - road surface is so so but as you can see the scenery is nice.

Had to do some serious braking as a turkey ran out into the road, I was surprised when I saw the G Meter recorded a 1.19 under hard braking - the car handled it fine and came to a nice even controlled stop without the ABS kicking in.
Old 05-02-2019 | 10:08 PM
dbk123
Instructor

Jim137a - thanks for another great post! While I live in Vermont now, my grand parents lived in Blairstown and I can attest that there are some really good roads around there.
Old 05-02-2019 | 10:44 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dbk123
Jim137a - thanks for another great post! While I live in Vermont now, my grand parents lived in Blairstown and I can attest that there are some really good roads around there.

Thanks for the kind words.

I did a few road trips to Vermont my favorite is the Smugglers Notch Route - see the attached article. On one 7 day trip I did Smugglers Notch which was awesome, the Kancamagus - awesome and the Airline Road which was just ok IMO.

Stayed here the last time I did the Smugglers Notch loop - clean, quiet, safe and convenient to a few restaurants.

https://www.mensjournal.com/travel/a...new-hampshire/
Old 05-03-2019 | 08:27 AM
dbk123
Instructor

I've been exploring some roads on central Vermont in preparation for the Treffen event in Woodstock this September. We've found some really fun stuff down there too. During our exploration earlier this week we discovered a ton of stuff with fantastic road surface and lots of fun sweepers.

Let me know next time you come up this way!
Old 05-12-2019 | 04:35 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Pennsylvania

I took advantage of the beautiful weather we had yesterday and went to do some more exploring out in Pennsylvania. I may have over done it but WTH - clocked 638 miles and found some decent roads.

The first stop Snow Shoe to Renovo via 144 N - about 35 miles of very smooth roads, hardly ann side streets and much of it uninhabited. The bottom half is what I would describe as “ wide open country road “ where you can really stretch your car out. The top half as you get closer to Renovo is tighter, more challenging and technical and has some really good turns.
I’ll definitely be back to hit this road again, next time I think I would do snow Shoe to Galeton via Route 144.

Renovo to Emporium via Route 120. The road surface so so but not horrible - some fast sweepers on the lower portion coming out of Renovo.

Emporium to Kinzua Bridge State Park via 120 and 146 - road surface was fair to good - again it was like an easy ride through the country - nothing to challenging. Kinzua was definitely worth seeing
https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/F...s/default.aspx

Stopped at the Olga Cafe in Coudersport for some dinner - it wasn’t bad but the place is pretty cool. The dessert was OUTSTANDING- white chocolate cheese cake with blueberry sauce. Friendly and good service.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...nsylvania.html

Kinzua Bridge

Whittimore Rd Emporium, PA

Olga Cafe

Last edited by Jim137a; 05-16-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2019 | 05:22 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Just put this map together - from a local PCA drive a month or so ago. Lots of elevation and scenery changes. 93 miles and about 2:40 if your drive at the speed limit

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sb...M-&usp=sharing

The following users liked this post:
forestial (10-30-2021)
Old 05-21-2019 | 11:27 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Pennsylvania

Took a nice long road trip out to PA today and wandered around looking for some decent roads.

1st stop was route 29 from West Nanticoke to Eatonville, PA. Stay on route 29 the entire way, the start of route 29 as you leave West Nanticoke 29 has some really great tight turns as it climbs up the mountain, after that section the road opens up and is really smooth and has some decent high speed sweeping turns. Here’s a video of my down hill run on that section of 29.

After that I wandered around a bit and found Route 87 from Mehoopany to Dushore, PA. 87 is a tighter and narrower road. The road surface is decent to fair but I enjoy this type of road.

Then I hit 487 South from Dushore to the Bloomsburg area. 487 is smooth for the most part and about 30 of the 50 mile run is through forest and farmland.

Final stop before heading home was Buck Mountain Rd. Weatherly, PA. Definitely the most challenging section of road I’ve ever encountered. It’s a short run up the mountain but it’s loads of fun. I shot 2 videos, a downhill run and an uphill run - neither run was anywhere near perfect but oh well. The attached pics are from a previous visit but they capture the challenges of that road.

Buck Mountain Rd. Weatherly, PA

Buck Mountain Rd.
Old 06-05-2019 | 06:26 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Pennsylvania

I’m updating some of my routes / roads after I did a little more exploring out in PA.

Took a 2 day road trip and covered 885 miles of mostly back road fun in PA. I’ve been out to that area a few times this year and the biggest challenge is finding decent food and hotels in PA. I soon discovered that the best restaurants and hotels in that section of PA are actually in New York State - LOL.

It’s a bit of a ride out there but the roads are definitely worth it. On my run 78 mile run from Snow Shoe to Galeton there wasn’t one car in front of me.

PA 125 - Shamokin to Gold Mine Rd. I posted part of this route before but just added the Gold Mine Road section - definitely worth it. Gold Mine Road isn’t that long but it’s smooth, fast, great uphill run obviously followed by a challenging down hill run.

Shamokin to Gold Mine Rd.
https://goo.gl/maps/9XPXLV7c1RjGRVec9

PA 144 - Snow Shoe to Galeton PA., 78 miles of smooth roads through mostly uninhabited portions of PA. If you want a great steak follow the map to the Beef Haus. http://beefhaus.com

There’s a few hotels in Wellsville, NY as well. I stayed at the MicroTel with was clean and had safe parking. https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/microt...&iata=00093796

PA 144 Galeton
Google Maps

PA 154 - Canton to Laporte PA. Absolutely great road, lots of great turns, elevation changes and SMOOTH pavement. While your there stop at Worlds End State Park and take a run over to the High **** Vista ( Wyoming State Forest Forest Rd Hillsgrove, PA 18619 ). https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/F...s/default.aspx

PA 154 Canton to LaPorte
Google Maps

Last edited by Jim137a; 06-05-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2019 | 09:17 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Virginia

Route 16 aka Back of the Dragon. You can start at either end of the road - Marion VA to Tazewell, VA.

Approximately 32 miles long and almost 300 turns on smooth pavement - it was pretty epic.

https://www.motorcycleroads.org/2016...gon-va-hwy-16/

The following users liked this post:
Isle in Dixie (12-08-2020)
Old 07-01-2019 | 11:48 PM
Steve Pittman
5th Gear

Texas:

Have you been on the FM 3090 route to Yankees Tavern and then back up FM 149 into Sam Houston Forest. Good run takes about 2.5 hrs round trip. We usually start at Bucees off 290.
Old 07-02-2019 | 04:20 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve Pittman
Texas:

Have you been on the FM 3090 route to Yankees Tavern and then back up FM 149 into Sam Houston Forest. Good run takes about 2.5 hrs round trip. We usually start at Bucees off 290.
I had heard that Buc-ee's was the bomb, but the online reviews are mixed. I figured they were 5 stars across the board from what native Texans say!

I friend did a 250 mile 3-day bicycle tour up in Sam Houston forest and said it was epic! I hope to do it this fall.
Old 09-18-2019 | 04:37 AM
passion4audio
Advanced

Default Please post your favorite driving road(s)

Twisty backroads?
Old 09-18-2019 | 08:08 AM
*991*
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
The roads are typical South and Central Texas high speed secondary roads that are kept in pretty good shape, aided by the near lack of freeze cycles here (I'm not sure where you are dmk2). They are mostly 2 lane roads. There are a few sections with limited passing opportunities, but for the most part you get the chance to let your car stretch it legs and feel the joys of passing like you can't often do around bigger city back roads any more.

A couple of other possible stops along or near the route at Los Maples Park, especially in the fall since it is one of the few places in Texas where a fair number of trees turn color, and Garner State Park which provides a place to cool your heels a bit. Both have some nice moderately hilly/rock hiking trails if that is of interest. Of course in summer both get pretty toasty.

Los Maples

Garner State Park
WOW Beautiful Pics!!!
Old 09-18-2019 | 10:04 AM
BOPE
Racer

Originally Posted by StormRune
One of the more famous choices in south Texas is the Three Sisters (aka the Three Twisted Sisters), southwest of San Antonio. Not too many windy roads warrant their own specialized warning sign like the one shown below.

If you decide to try this, you might want to include a side-trip to Utopia off the map south of Leakey (bottom center). The Laurel Tree restaurant in Utopia is a phenomenon in itself. You reserve the table for the entire lunch period or evening and get a gourmet multi-course meal at a surprisingly reasonable price. Combined these are the two reasons I'll venture that far south in Texas. The restaurant is only open on Saturdays so plan around that. You must call and make reservations ahead of time.

The Laurel Tree
I totally agree with this route suggestion. It's outstanding by any measure!

Jason

Quick Reply: Best Driving Roads... State-By-State