Sponsored by:

Best Driving Roads... State-By-State

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 01:11 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by david
That does look like a very special 100+ mile section of road; much thanks for sharing! The total road (and especially the section between Gateway & Naturita) looks like it would require an immediate about-face to do it from the opposite direction if one didn't live in the area.
True. You could continue to meet 50 south of Grand Junction and take it all the way down through Montrose (turns into 550 there), then to 62 in Ridgway to make a loop. The area between Grand Junction and Montrose is flat and agricultural though, not super interesting as a drive. Although it is cool to watch yourself inch closer to the Dallas Divide as you head south on 50/550.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:43 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 578 Posts

CO 141 and 145 are both worthy roads, mostly in decent shape and mostly lonely. I have yet to stay in Gateway--the resort is a bit pricey even for the Porsche crowd.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:21 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 376 Posts

Any interest in going on an amazing drive Sunday morning (or perhaps Monday) from the greater NYC/northern NJ area?

https://goo.gl/maps/DRPtRvPiK4YHCuHk7

The part that is truly amazing is the 80-mile loop north of Port Jervis.

I would drive my GT4 (or possibly BMW M2C).
Old 07-01-2022, 04:15 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 336 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim137a

Pennsylvania

Route 739

Start at Dingmans Ferry, PA and End at Lords Valley, PA.

If you cross from NJ to PA over the Dingmans Ferry Bridge you will have the privilege of crossing the only privately owned interstate bridges. They actually stand on the bridge with a bucket and collect your dollar.

Some great banked turns winding through the Delaware State Forest. Be careful as there’s a state police barracks on the route.
I know this is an old thread/post, but it brought back some fond memories. Back in the early 70s my family had a lake house in the North West corner of NJ on Lake Kittattiny. We used to cross over into PA on the Dingman's Ferry Bridge either to go to dinner or do some shopping in PA. Back then you would have been greeted by an old woman or old man on the PA side, wearing a pistol, a cloth nail bag for stuffing paper money into and a coin change machine strapped to the holster belt lol You would pay .50 cents and they would raise the gate so you could cross into PA and on to Route 521. Haven't been there since my early 20s.
The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 09:45 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 97 Posts

Arizona 89 from Congress through Yarnell and Wilhoit to Prescott, either direction. From Prescott, you can loop it through Kirkland and Skull Valley back to Prescott.

White Spar AZ 89

Yarnell Hill AZ89 from Congress

Quick Reply: Best Driving Roads... State-By-State