Sponsored by:

How is a warrantied 2012 not covered by Porsche? Crosspost - 991 fire

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:16 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
Truly sorry but the most important thing is that you are not physically harmed.

That smoke looks like a fuel that ignited by the hot exhaust. The only thing that I can think of is a fault with emission system (such as evaporating fuel that get into filters and purge valves that ignited when it made it to the exhaust). That check engine light with that warning could indicate something with failed emission system.

From manufacturer's side, they may think that it is caused by owners' neglect or mods since there is no history of high mileage 991.1 catching fire like that.

I have no idea how to help you besides speculating from video and photos, but I suggest to keep close contact with your lawyer.

PF
That is consistent with the display. It said vent and showed a fan symbol. Good call!

Old 04-25-2018, 07:43 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Typical 991 rennlist thread. Car bursts suddenly into flame, hmm, how can we make the OP at fault...

Anyway, OP, best of luck, hopefully your insurance won't try to find some way to wiggle out of a claim. I'd check the fine print of the CPO, it wouldn't surprise me if it excludes major fire. The devil is always in the fine print of any warranty / insurance policy. Never surprises me what isn't covered.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:38 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Actually both threads have been mostly supportive and helpful. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:58 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the problem with ecu cars these days. Everything is electronics & if there is no error codes in their ecu reader, internal visual inspection is forgotten or done half-heartedly. Porsche Collision Center is certainly at fault for declaring that car safe for you to drive. You could have lost your life!

Also, constant revving with failed emission can lead to engine fire, that is why the ecu usually put the car in limp mode. Were you able to rev the engine normally when the check engine light came up?

PF

Originally Posted by Sir5n

That is consistent with the display. It said vent and showed a fan symbol. Good call!

Old 04-25-2018, 10:10 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

I'm terribly sorry to see this happen, but I'm confused as to what you're looking for here.

Insurance will look after this. If you don't like their findings you are legally entitled to asking your provinces insurance ombudsman to get involved.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:12 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Car was a 991.1 C2S

Had an engine fault warning on the dash up. It did say safe to drive. I saw steam out the rear view and declined by shutting the car off.

The car was ablaze within minutes.

Thought more about that today and am feeling a little better knowing I declined.
Agree with the others that this is an insurance issue and the insurance company may decide to go after Porsche if they can prove it was something they should be responsible for. But warranties don't cover fires, generally.

But what does decline mean? You used it twice. You declined what? Not driving as you were clearly on the road, so what does it mean?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:50 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skiahh

Agree with the others that this is an insurance issue and the insurance company may decide to go after Porsche if they can prove it was something they should be responsible for. But warranties don't cover fires, generally.

But what does decline mean? You used it twice. You declined what? Not driving as you were clearly on the road, so what does it mean?
Declined as in didn’t take the ‘possible to drive’ part of the warning seriously.
I got out and did a circle check after seeing steam/smoke out the left mirror.

I was in the right lane preparing for a right turn.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:59 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

I didn’t rev the engine as I was stopped at a red light and the car didn’t go into limp mode. The warning appeared at about 50 or 60 feet before I stopped.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:37 AM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
If my car catches fire and I can safely get out of it, I would rather it burn to the ground than have to get it fixed and never be right again.
Not to change the topic, but I agree. My car has a fire extinguisher. And, after seeing this, I would wonder why I would want to stop a fire, and have a half burnt to the ground car? ( If someone was in it.. then that’s different.)
Old 04-26-2018, 01:15 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BlackOptic

Not to change the topic, but I agree. My car has a fire extinguisher. And, after seeing this, I would wonder why I would want to stop a fire, and have a half burnt to the ground car? ( If someone was in it.. then that’s different.)
This is on topic.

No, and I like you’re post.

The engine is completely enclosed. Taking a 2 or 5lb extinguisher up to the car is useless. Sure you can hit it early but it will most likely re flash and the hand held apparatus will be depleted.

Oh wait, you could squeeze under the burning car and try to spray up.....Go for it!

This is is why I ran to the gas station nearby and just before I stole an extinguisher looked at my car and thought, ain’t gonna do a bit of good.

I never understood why some organizations require a fire extinguisher to be installed for events that untrained participants would utilize in the case of a fire.

A fixed system will work best. Hand held extinguishers will do very little.

Rant over......
Old 04-26-2018, 02:13 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 391 Posts

CPO
No Mods,
88k-kilometres
NO REASON.
I’m asking again,
Why is a car that is covered under full CPO extended warranty excluded from a catastrophe?

Porsche, want to weigh in on this?
Agree that insurance will likely be your best and possibly sole recourse here. Hope you had a good company that will be fast with their decision and investigation. Porsche may still want to get involved as to help determine the cause and see if there is some fault that has been missed but non likely to compensate you with a new car unless your insurance goes after them for some fault...agree with that. But they may reach out to you at some point given the public nature of the post and all to see what is going on.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:56 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn’t rev the engine as I was stopped at a red light and the car didn’t go into limp mode. The warning appeared at about 50 or 60 feet before I stopped.
If the car did not go into limp mode, then most likely you did a spirited or a very spirited drive just before the check engine light came up. You did nothing wrong though. Keep us updated mate.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:16 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porscheforever

If the car did not go into limp mode, then most likely you did a spirited or a very spirited drive just before the check engine light came up. You did nothing wrong though. Keep us updated mate.
Yah, my nervous wife in the passenger seat doing double digit speeds on a Sunday afternoon. Your definition of a spirited drive? Not
Old 04-27-2018, 05:55 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Holy sh**.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:11 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default 2012 CPO july 2019

I have a 2012 that is CPO until july 2019 so your comment below is erroneous.

QUOTE=StormRune;14966319]Being that the car is a 2012 it would have been at the extreme limits of any official Porsche CPO coverage, but you also use the phrase "the car was under an extended warranty that covered (specically) the engine". That doesn't sound like a Porsche CPO warranty. What is it?

​​​​It's also not clear if anyone has determined a cause, so things like road debris punctures (there was a thread about that recently) or a mistake in maintenance could be to blame. Has a cause been determined? There is another burned car thread here on the forums and it was determined to be caused by a mechanic leaving a rag in the engine compartment. Has there been recent maintenance on the car? Maybe a mechanic left something loose.

I don't how you can leap to expecting Porsche to cover something when no cause has been determined (to my knowledge)... especially if it isn't under their warranty (see question 1 above). I know you are upset, but it would probably be prudent to wait for some facts to come to light before leaping to conclusions (unless you have them and didn't mention them yet).

Please let us know if you have or get more solid information. Sorry for you loss... she looked like a beauty![/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: How is a warrantied 2012 not covered by Porsche? Crosspost - 991 fire