Sponsored by:

No full EV 911? I think bets are off

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 07:36 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts
Default No full EV 911? I think bets are off

I noticed in the general discussion site that there was a thread about no full EV 911 planned. However, that was April 4. Now it is April 13 and with the news of a new CEO for VW group, it looks like all bets are off.

https://www.usnews.com/news/business...t-replaces-ceo

I would bet that a full electric 911 may come back to the works, even if we previously thought that is relegated to the Mission E vehicle.

Also interesting is that there is a decoupling of Audi and Porsche. Porsche is now put in a separate group with Bentley, Bugatti and Lamborghini. Given that Porsche will be the big muscle in that group, maybe more Porsche-developed engines for the non-sports car models? I can see using the 4-cylinder 718 engine in a next generation Macan.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:02 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,202 Likes on 725 Posts

Hopefully this full electric 911 will also be self driving.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:09 PM
WCE
User

Received 177 Likes on 86 Posts

992.2 hybrid for sure.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:01 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

I can't imagine a hybrid will be a satisfactory product. ( I understand the 918 is a great car, but it's $1 million and not as practical as a 911). The 911 is already a space constrained vehicle, batteries, electric motors and additional electrical equipment will need to compete for space with the ICE. The added weight of two powertrains isn't going to help things, and we all know the car will need to grow to fit all the components. How many of us would be happy with the engine shutting down to run on electric only- don't most of us disable the stop/start system as a routine task?
My thoughts lead to thinking that an all electric 911 would be a better solution. Yes, the battery would be heavy, but take away the ICE, fuel tank, transmission, exhaust, coolant, radiators, etc, and I think the weight penalty would be modest. An AWD version would also be a slam dunk and no driveshaft. The way most of use our cars, a 250 mile range would be plenty and the battery can take up space used by the fuel tank, driveshaft and transmission. I just think it would result in a simpler, purer sports car, rather than a fantastically complicated and expensive hybrid. If we need to give up the ICE, go all electric and make it sick fast.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:41 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

^^^ An all electric 911 may do well if Formula E take off. Brave new world when most kids no longer read car magazines but are hooked up to devices like the one I am typing now.

Just one more link:

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...plate=mobile02

Reading through the lines, maybe Porsche will just concentrate on extra expensive cars while Audi takes over the role of cars in our budget. We may be the last consumers to be have bought "affordable" Porsche cars
Old 04-14-2018, 01:35 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Reading through the lines, maybe Porsche will just concentrate on extra expensive cars while Audi takes over the role of cars in our budget. We may be the last consumers to be have bought "affordable" Porsche cars
And what a tragedy that would be. Can you say "Cadillac problem"?

However, I don't think we will see this. Audi + Porsche bring the lion's share of VG's profits. Decreasing Porsche's volume won't help in that pursuit.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:42 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd really like us to get to the end game of electric asap. Get the pain of hybrid complexity and expense over with, and the NA to turbo remorse forgotten. We'll get used to the whizz whizz noise, click clunk and wurr sounds (I don't mean 991.1 to .2).
That Tesla P100D is literally ludicrous, I'm ok with a 911 like that.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:27 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by _RS_
I'd really like us to get to the end game of electric asap. Get the pain of hybrid complexity and expense over with, and the NA to turbo remorse forgotten. We'll get used to the whizz whizz noise, click clunk and wurr sounds (I don't mean 991.1 to .2).
I'm with you. Porsche should skip the pain and embarrassment of the 911 hybrid...unless of course they have some secret weapon technology where the hybridization is completely unnoticeable.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:22 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

For me the battery tech is just not there yet. Not enough energy density and too long to charge. There is new tech out there that is promising, but some years off. The Teslas are fast but still way too heavy. I plan to keep my 911.2 C2s, but I already see it as a sort of new vintage gasoline engine powered curiosity Our boring car is a Lexus RX450h, and that will be the one we keep for awhile then trade for some nifty new plug-in hybrid or full electric vehicle once the tech is acceptable. Not sure I ever see myself in a 911 electric although if Porsche does end up making one it will be way faster than my 911.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:04 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by _RS_
"The end game of electric." You mean when the subsidies run out because the taxpayers are all taxed out, the bubble mania that drove money-losing Tesla higher than profit-making GM pops, and everyone wakes up and realizes we never will be able to make enough chargers, let alone generate enough affordable electricity, to make EV anything more than a tree-huggers wet-dream? Well, considering Germany has boondoggled billions on wind power, generating mostly taxes, debt, and skyrocketing rates, yet refuses to admit the enormity of that colossal mistake, I would not be holding my breath. Ideologues never have been any good at admitting their mistakes. The insanity may have quite a ways to run yet.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:27 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Setting aside the political debate, from a pure car perspective here's my two cents:

Hybrid 911 - meh. It will be neither fish nor fowl. Too heavy to be a legit track car and nothing particularly special from the stand point of innovation - say what you will but the Model S is innovative. The 918 is heavy.
Electric 911 - yuck. Very hard for me to get excited about that. A fully electric Panamera sure, why not? Or even a Cayenne. But there is absolutely nothing sporty about a Model S. It's fast as s**t in a straight line but otherwise exactly what you'd expect a 6K lb car to feel like.

Weight, torque and downforce are what makes a sports car a sports car IMHO. Until we see massive technology advances in battery technology to deal with range/weight and heat issues, I don't see a legit 911 electric that could be what a C2/C2S/C2GTS is right now - a nearly perfect combination of performance and luxury w/o much compromise at all.

Note: See sig.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:29 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
I noticed in the general discussion site that there was a thread about no full EV 911 planned. However, that was April 4. Now it is April 13 and with the news of a new CEO for VW group, it looks like all bets are off.
Just keep in mind that the VW AG CEO does nothing with the Porsche 911 unless Porsche SE (aka the Porsche family) allows it.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:51 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
"The end game of electric." You mean when the subsidies run out because the taxpayers are all taxed out, the bubble mania that drove money-losing Tesla higher than profit-making GM pops, and everyone wakes up and realizes we never will be able to make enough chargers, let alone generate enough affordable electricity, to make EV anything more than a tree-huggers wet-dream? Well, considering Germany has boondoggled billions on wind power, generating mostly taxes, debt, and skyrocketing rates, yet refuses to admit the enormity of that colossal mistake, I would not be holding my breath. Ideologues never have been any good at admitting their mistakes. The insanity may have quite a ways to run yet.
A dozen or so years ago, when the Peak Oil theory was hot and heavy, it seemed that electric cars were all but a necessity for automotive power. With nuclear and coal plants providing the electrical energy. Now we have OPEC holding back production, US oil companies with many wells fracced, but not in production and due to the recent low crude oil costs, 100s of billions of oil projects had been put on hold waiting for higher prices. Oil has a long way to run, and nothing beats the flexibility, safety and economics of the gas or diesel engine. And the chargering situation, imagine the Jersey Turnpike on a holiday weekend and the line up for chargers, catastrophe. No, electric cars are not ready for prime time and will represent a clear compromise from the convenience of the ICE. If greenhouse gases concern you, take mass transit, bike or walk.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:12 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

The last of the old always beats the first of the new. I plan to hang on to my GT3 Touring for a long, long time in large part because it’s one of the last of the dying breed of noisy, thirsty, challenging normally aspirated manuals, and it is utterly awesome. However I’m under no illusion: the electrics are coming.

I also daily drive an electric while my wife has a plug in hybrid. There is no question that of these electric feels like the future (and the hybrid sucks). In comparison even a thoroughly modern German sports car feels antiquated- it’s amazing how much our brains compensate for turbo lag and downshifting (even PDK), but when you’ve lived without them they seem downright archaic. Other throwbacks- visits to the shop: one in 30k miles (checkup and a new set of tires). Visits to the gas station- chargers at home and work, how’s that for convenient? Running costs are incredibly low, meanwhile dynamically there’s no question in my mind that electrics will soon embarrass my 13 mpg city rated GT3, and that’s despite the extra weight they’re carrying.

These are just periferal reasons why those in the industry are now predicting a far faster shift to electric than even optimistic projections from a few short years ago. It’s not just the car companies that are investing billions into the technology (Porsche through VAG included), it’s also the oil companies. Shell is a major shareholder in my company, and they (along with other oil companies) are actively planning for “Peak Demand” to come much sooner than previously expected largely because of the much faster than expected shift away from oil for transportation fuels.

As for the generating capacity to feed all those cars you can be sure that the market will provide. PV’s exponential growth (30x increase in the last 10 years, currently adding 100 GW per year) and cost reduction (now half the cost of fossil fuels in sunny areas) helps. EV’s flexibility in time of charge helps a lot as well. Industry heavyweights like Shell and Daimler are moving to address both generation and electricity storage in ways that are not widely understood, and when combined with cheap PV will have a huge impact. Obviously the grid will need to adapt, but that’s constant and very doable, as recent AC adoption rates in Europe and accompanying change in afternoon summer demand have demonstrated.

I’m effectively in the oil industry, and have every reason to hope we keep burning it at our current rate for a long time to come. I also have enough insight and perspective to realize that’s not going to happen. We’re about to see an massive shift and it’s coming far faster than most can appreciate. I’ll get a nicer EV when one becomes available, but you’ll need to pry my GT3 out of my cold, dead hands. Because as good as EVs are they’ll need to get an order of magnitude better before they come close to making up for the lack of noise and drama in a sports car. In my eyes at least. Last of the old...
Old 04-16-2018, 01:40 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
Hopefully this full electric 911 will also be self driving.

... and four doors with a hatch.

Quick Reply: No full EV 911? I think bets are off