Sponsored by:

Whats in Your Car Washing Tool Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 03:33 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon D
Just took a chance on a new wheel coating McKee 37 wheel coating will report back after a few weeks as to how clean it keeps the Black centerlocks.

Wheel coating
Would love to hear how that's working for you. I ordered a bottle of Dr. Beasley's Matte Paint Coating for the satin black centerlocks, but haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by DoubleDare; 05-22-2018 at 03:35 PM. Reason: addition
Old 05-23-2018, 10:14 AM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I just coated a new set of satin black GTS wheels with Gyeon Rim, super impressed with it so far. Not done many miles but after a weekend I just rinsed with the pressure washer and removed about 90% of the brake dust alone without any soap. I didn't coat the back side of the spokes near the barrel and the dust remained there so now got to go back over the inside. It kind of enhances the satin black and leaves a really nice, rich finish.
I previously tried the Kamikaze Stance and it sucked, wasn't nearly as hydrophobic and left a dry finish, especially in the barrels where the brake dust just sat and was still a chore to remove.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:19 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I really don't get this wheel stuff. I always wash wheels when I wash my car and no matter what protectant/polish etc is applied there is always some dirt/dust remaining which is easy to remove. I wash twice a week so is this stuff for those that only wash every couple of weeks? I don't get it. Help me out.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:33 AM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911boy
I really don't get this wheel stuff. I always wash wheels when I wash my car and no matter what protectant/polish etc is applied there is always some dirt/dust remaining which is easy to remove. I wash twice a week so is this stuff for those that only wash every couple of weeks? I don't get it. Help me out.
It may be specific to the black satin 911 GTS wheels. They have a matte, textured finish. Gorgeous though the wheels are, brake dust adheres to the finish like nothing i've ever seen.

I've done a full wash of the car (wheels first), then found the wheels still coated with brown dust/rust, then washed the wheels thoroughly again - only to find lots of brown crap still on the wheels.

Since then, switched to a matte paint shampoo, which seems to help. But a good wheel coating that works on the satin finish would be great.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:48 AM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911boy
If you have clear coated wheels then it's easy to get the brake dust off with soap and a wipe.
The satin wheels are just a painted finish and the dust gets stuck in the pores of the paint, if you leave it for any period of time it's a real PITA to remove.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:54 AM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

It may be specific to the black satin 911 GTS wheels. They have a matte, textured finish. Gorgeous though the wheels are, brake dust adheres to the finish like nothing i've ever seen.
Couldn't agree more.

Since then, switched to a matte paint shampoo, which seems to help. But a good wheel coating that works on the satin finish would be great.
Give the Gyeon Rim a go, has everything I was looking for.
I tried Cquartz on the Macan, while it's easy to apply it's much harder to remove. Rim was super easy to apply and even easier to remove. I got two coats out of a 30ml bottle.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:58 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,255 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by _RS_
That bad boy is scary, not for use inside the garage (by me anyway), it blows stuff of the shelves! I use the smaller sidekick in the garage, slower but safer, blow drying is preferable either way.
Do you use the sidekick to dry off the entire car?
Old 05-23-2018, 01:17 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought the sidekick two weeks ago and used it to dry the car after washing it. I did not expect it to be able to pull this off but it did and worked fine for me. I do have a ceramic coating on the car which makes it a bit easier I guess.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:44 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

I love the Gyeon products. I have my car coated with Gyeon Can Coat. Also coated the wheels with the same and I can just spray them clean. I do have PCCB's so it starts easier.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:08 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,255 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
I bought the sidekick two weeks ago and used it to dry the car after washing it. I did not expect it to be able to pull this off but it did and worked fine for me. I do have a ceramic coating on the car which makes it a bit easier I guess.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:07 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bikerlee
Couldn't agree more.

Give the Gyeon Rim a go, has everything I was looking for.
I tried Cquartz on the Macan, while it's easy to apply it's much harder to remove. Rim was super easy to apply and even easier to remove. I got two coats out of a 30ml bottle.
Thanks Bikerlee. Any chance you have before and after pics of the rims you could post?

I'm curious to see how the coating changes the look of the satin finish.

Apparently the finish is intentionally left textured to reduce gloss (hence, the matte/satin look), and presumably coating the surface would fill in and smooth over the texture.

But then, if you want the brake dust/rust to stop building up in the finish's texture and be easily washed away, it seems that's exactly what you'd have to do - fill in or coat over the texture.

I'm also wondering how things go two years out when it's time to replace the coating. One probably can't machine polish the wheels to remove the old coating due to the complex wheel design and textured finish. So do you re-apply new coating over the old?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:44 PM
Loft23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two bucket optimum no-rinse and lots of wash cloths.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:26 AM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DoubleDare
Thanks Bikerlee. Any chance you have before and after pics of the rims you could post?

Apparently the finish is intentionally left textured to reduce gloss (hence, the matte/satin look), and presumably coating the surface would fill in and smooth over the texture.

But then, if you want the brake dust/rust to stop building up in the finish's texture and be easily washed away, it seems that's exactly what you'd have to do - fill in or coat over the texture.

I'm also wondering how things go two years out when it's time to replace the coating. One probably can't machine polish the wheels to remove the old coating due to the complex wheel design and textured finish. So do you re-apply new coating over the old?
I'll take a pic this afternoon when I get home, didn't take any before or after pics.
Can't say I noticed much texture, the spokes especially just seem to of had a flat painted finish.
It does add a richness, which I really like, found untreated the paint just looked dry and permanently dirty.
I was able to remove a year old Cquartz coating from the paint by hand with some Meguiars 205. Rim is only rated for a year so will either give it a light polish by hand or just go over what little is remaining by then.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:52 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

A clean towel every time for wash. Maguire wash soap. Zymol spray wax (after every other wash)

Clay bar every year, a coat of Soft 99 (Japanese brand) sealant wax and then another coat of Soft 99 Authentic carnauba wax

been using Soft99 products since my first car when I was 16. Their Fusso coat sealant wax is what they are known for.

Last edited by vodkag; 05-25-2018 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-27-2018, 11:42 AM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DoubleDare
Here's a pic after just soap and rinse with a pressure washer, no wiping or cleaning just to see how the coating alone performs.
Coating was been on for a week and the initial sheen is almost gone, looks almost like it did before the coating now, which is a shame as I really like the extra depth it gave right after application.

Quick Reply: Whats in Your Car Washing Tool Kit