Sponsored by:

Whats in Your Car Washing Tool Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 04:58 PM
nwjade
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

I have a new 911 ordered with a mid to end of May delivery date. I have always hand washed my cars but nothing special. I've started checking into the proper way to wash and care for your car and it's a bit overwhelming. I get doing the two bucket with grit screens method and will do that. I don't know even the basics like what soap, wash mitts and drying cloths to purchase. What are the best basic products I need and where do I order them? Also, I don't mean to start a debate. I just need some help getting ready to at least be able to wash my new 911 properly without spending hours figuring this part of it out. Beyond the basics, is it necessary to get into foam sprayers and power washers and what seems like exotic cleaning to a newbie? I'm open to it, it's just as I said a bit overwhelming. Thanks for any advice and guidance!
Old 04-07-2018, 05:05 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Well the 45 posts before yours kind of say it all.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:33 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by nwjade
I have a new 911 ordered with a mid to end of May delivery date. I have always hand washed my cars but nothing special. I've started checking into the proper way to wash and care for your car and it's a bit overwhelming. I get doing the two bucket with grit screens method and will do that. I don't know even the basics like what soap, wash mitts and drying cloths to purchase. What are the best basic products I need and where do I order them? Also, I don't mean to start a debate. I just need some help getting ready to at least be able to wash my new 911 properly without spending hours figuring this part of it out. Beyond the basics, is it necessary to get into foam sprayers and power washers and what seems like exotic cleaning to a newbie? I'm open to it, it's just as I said a bit overwhelming. Thanks for any advice and guidance!
There are a couple of sponsors on this site that offer excellent cleaning products for your car -- each product is going to have its own fan base so pick a product that sounds good to you, or better yet get a couple different ones in a small size and decide which one you like best. Best wash mitt for me is something is a very soft microfiber.
Best drying product for me is air via some type of blower - just make sure it is filtered if you go that route -- that way I don't have to rub the paint .... if you go this way then you will find that the best ones are expensive but offer higher flows, ease of using, etc. ...... if you want to rub it to get it dry then get the best (softest, most absorbent) microfiber you can get your hands on.
Foam sprayers and power washers make things easier ... well except for the part of having to get them set up / broken down / maintained ... but they do come with a price tag.
If you are in an area with hard water then a de-ionizeer works wonders (I've use one for years and think it has made my car washing efforts much much easier).

The best thing I've done is to set up my outside faucet with hot water so I can wash my car with warm water.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:10 PM
2000se
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

subscribing
Old 04-10-2018, 05:15 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000se
subscribing
AKA "Thread Tools"
Old 04-12-2018, 02:58 PM
nwjade
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikeearly
There are a couple of sponsors on this site that offer excellent cleaning products for your car -- each product is going to have its own fan base so pick a product that sounds good to you, or better yet get a couple different ones in a small size and decide which one you like best. Best wash mitt for me is something is a very soft microfiber.
Best drying product for me is air via some type of blower - just make sure it is filtered if you go that route -- that way I don't have to rub the paint .... if you go this way then you will find that the best ones are expensive but offer higher flows, ease of using, etc. ...... if you want to rub it to get it dry then get the best (softest, most absorbent) microfiber you can get your hands on.
Foam sprayers and power washers make things easier ... well except for the part of having to get them set up / broken down / maintained ... but they do come with a price tag.
If you are in an area with hard water then a de-ionizeer works wonders (I've use one for years and think it has made my car washing efforts much much easier).

The best thing I've done is to set up my outside faucet with hot water so I can wash my car with warm water.
Appreciate the guidance!

I've spent a few days ordering things from Amazon to get setup including a Sunjoe 3000, foam gun, buckets, grit screens, microfiber mitts, towels etc.

Will practice on the Subaru before the 911 delivery.

Wondering if there are any filtered air blowers available without having to go with the expensive Master Blaster?
Old 04-12-2018, 03:34 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Appreciate the guidance!

I've spent a few days ordering things from Amazon to get setup including a Sunjoe 3000, foam gun, buckets, grit screens, microfiber mitts, towels etc.

Will practice on the Subaru before the 911 delivery.

Wondering if there are any filtered air blowers available without having to go with the expensive Master Blaster?
I have a battery powered leaf blower that works great. Electric so no filter needed. My car is [consumer level] ceramic coated which makes it all the more effective. Plus I can use the blower for more than just the car.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:36 PM
nwjade
Intermediate

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I have a battery powered leaf blower that works great. Electric so no filter needed. My car is [consumer level] ceramic coated which makes it all the more effective. Plus I can use the blower for more than just the car.
Thanks for the reply.

Not following, won't contaminants be drawn through both battery and electric filter less leaf blowers possibly causing damage to the paint?

Less force with a battery unit = less contaminants but then = less ability to push water off the car?

What model are you using?
Old 04-12-2018, 05:39 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
What do you mean by consumer level? Did you apply your self? If so, I'm interested in what product and ease of application.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:34 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

For consumer applied, I'm partial to this.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:54 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

Not following, won't contaminants be drawn through both battery and electric filter less leaf blowers possibly causing damage to the paint?

Less force with a battery unit = less contaminants but then = less ability to push water off the car?

What model are you using?
I bought a rechargeable blower and its pretty much useless for anything other than wheels.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:37 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,305 Likes on 732 Posts

I have a rechargeable blower that I bought specifically to do the panel seams, around lights and mirrors, and the wheels. Works great now when I dry the car no more drips down the side. It is doing what I had hoped.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:40 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Just took a chance on a new wheel coating McKee 37 wheel coating will report back after a few weeks as to how clean it keeps the Black centerlocks.

Wheel coating
Old 05-22-2018, 01:24 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

For the special attention of those in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...-and-pads.html

Old 05-22-2018, 03:24 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
For those of you that love washing and waxing your cars, what is in your kit for both?

-TJ
I participate in Concours events (I thought I was OCD in keeping my car clean until I met some guys there.) My opinion; nothing beats a handwash. Tried pressure washing once, was afraid I'll strip the paint if I got any closer so went back to hand washing. Maybe I don't know to use a pressure washer properly. Alu-Teufel Spezial tire cleaner, two buckets, gentle soap, soft shaggy mitt, $40 microfiber towels, matte non-sticky tire polish are base tools. A bunch of ancillary tools to clean and finish on top of this. I don't wax as I don't know how. I drive about 2 to 2.5k miles / year (work from home), always garaged and never in rain.

Quick Reply: Whats in Your Car Washing Tool Kit