Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 04:40 PM
Chris - 97C2
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
I am considering the GIAC tune offered by the dealers. If you read your warranty booklet, it states all parts installed by the dealers and car is warrantied by Porsche North America. The price is 2200 plus labor and ads 130ft-lb and 80hp.
When I do it (likely in spring) I will also add center radiator and a intercooler from AMS to ensure I get better cooling as I plan to take it on the track 1-2 weekend per year. If you don't track, maybe the tune only is ok for you
Do you happen to know what Porsche dealers actually are GIAC authorized? Hard to tell from their website. Also, I'm very skeptical that there is any warranty coverage by Porsche. Would love to know that there is, however, but have never seen this with any other manufacturer. For example, APR and Audi have some sort of deal through some dealers, but it's still an APR warranty on a slightly detuned tune, and not an Audi warranty. Similarly, I have seen dealers "shield" their tuned customers from the computers at HQ, but one accidental hookup and they know you've been flashed. There is a flash counter in the ECU that no one can get around (I'm told).

I say all this just for clarification. I'm still planning on doing a flash at some point anyway 450HP/tq in a T will be a blast!!!
Old 08-10-2018, 04:49 PM
SJDave
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arezzo
Got such a deal on 7/29 that I could not resist.
Some mods, clear LED side lights, GT3 Matt black steering wheel inserts, Classic 911T logo ( thanks Alex)
Model stickers delete
Beautiful car, congrats!

You used Alex's logo attachment mechanism, or came up with something different? I'm a little concerned about what heat will do to the glue Alex used to attach the nuts to the logo...
Old 08-10-2018, 06:33 PM
Arezzo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SJDave
Beautiful car, congrats!

You used Alex's logo attachment mechanism, or came up with something different? I'm a little concerned about what heat will do to the glue Alex used to attach the nuts to the logo...
Not quite, I used alloy spacers, s/s screws and 2 part epoxy on the classic 911T pins.
Still you make a good point. I did unscrew the grill off the body to better figure it out.
There is plenty of plastic there that should melt before the epoxy !
Forgot to take photos !
I am unsure whether I will leave it on.
May explore other 911 grill alternatives, so easy to replace. GT3 Touring (ha).
Old 08-10-2018, 10:13 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Arezzo

Got such a deal on 7/29 that I could not resist.
Some mods, clear LED side lights, GT3 Matt black steering wheel inserts, Classic 911T logo ( thanks Alex)
Model stickers delete

Congratulations! Car is beautiful, and happy to see another T with the original badge!

Originally Posted by SJDave
Beautiful car, congrats!

Just a small clarification: Although I used glue to attach the screw connector to the original pins, they were also threaded there. I think it would be next to impossible to remove them without actually breaking the original pins off the badge.

This is such a simple mod, but I think brings a lot of character to the T.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:08 PM
shing911500e
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree that the classic 911T logo adds charm and character to the aesthetic of the car and am debating the merits of doing it to my own T.

I guess my struggle is that the 991 version isn't technically a 911T. It's a 911 Carrera T. Similarly, the original long hood car of the late 60s and early 70s wasn't a Carrera. It was simply a 911T. Please know that my post isn't intended to be negatively provacative, it's a point of curiosity more than anything.

As the final point of potential reference, the 911R (60s version and 991 version) has always been simply, the 911R.

Thoughts?
Old 08-11-2018, 02:11 PM
newtown03
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shing911500e
I agree that the classic 911T logo adds charm and character to the aesthetic of the car and am debating the merits of doing it to my own T.

I guess my struggle is that the 991 version isn't technically a 911T. It's a 911 Carrera T. Similarly, the original long hood car of the late 60s and early 70s wasn't a Carrera. It was simply a 911T. Please know that my post isn't intended to be negatively provacative, it's a point of curiosity more than anything.

As the final point of potential reference, the 911R (60s version and 991 version) has always been simply, the 911R.

Thoughts?
Porsche was trying to recreate the 1988 Club Sport(see description from wiki below), I'm considering making a "CS Club Sport" decal on the left fender(like the 1988) and deleting all T decals, the old 911 T was a stripped down version to lower the selling price.

The 911 Carrera Club Sport (CS) (option M637), 340 of which were produced from August 1987 to September 1989, is a reduced weight version of the standard Carrera that, with engine and suspension modifications, was purpose built for club racing. The CS had a blueprinted engine with hollow intake valves and a higher rev limit, deletion of: all power options, sunroof (except one unit), air conditioning (except two unit), radio, rear seat, undercoating, sound insulation, rear wiper, door pocket lids, fog lamps, front hood locking mechanism, engine and luggage compartment lights, lockable wheel nuts and even the rear lid "Carrera" logo, all in order to save an estimated 70 kg (150 lb) in weight. With the exception of CSs delivered to the UK, all are identifiable by the "CS Club Sport" decal on the left front fender and came in a variety of colors, some special ordered. Some U.S. CS's did not have the decal installed by the dealer; however, all CS's have a "SP" stamp on the crankcase and cylinder head. The UK CS's were all "Grand Prix White" with a red "Carrera CS" decal on each side of the car and red wheels. Although the CS was well received by the club racers, because it cost more than the stock 911, but had fewer comfort features. According to Porsche Club of America and Porsche Club Great Britain CS Registers, 21 are documented as delivered to the U.S. in 1988 with 7 in 1989, one to Canada in 1988 and 53 to the United Kingdom from 1987 to 1989.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:59 PM
vtrich
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

If they were trying to recreate the Club Sport they kinda missed the mark in not insignificant ways. In my view, we have a Carrera T and I think Porsche has tried and succeeded in making the car distinct. Over time, I hope that the character of the Carrera T will become endearing and individual, maybe like the Club Sport but more like the RS America.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:43 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 376 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by vtrich
If they were trying to recreate the Club Sport they kinda missed the mark in not insignificant ways. In my view, we have a Carrera T and I think Porsche has tried and succeeded in making the car distinct. Over time, I hope that the character of the Carrera T will become endearing and individual, maybe like the Club Sport but more like the RS America.
I don't think there was an "if." Well respected Rennlisters have reported that there was a licensing issue. I agree the weight/cost savings don't align with past iterations, but I do think it came together to a well received package...
Old 08-11-2018, 10:19 PM
brucewinter
Racer

Received 344 Likes on 157 Posts
Default On its way from jersey to florida

Old 08-11-2018, 10:28 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 124 Posts

I know that in the "T-world" it is heresy against the "ethos of the T" to spec a sunroof, and even worst, a glass sunroof. BUT, you've got to admit, that with some colors, the black glass roof just looks FANTASTIC! Red, Yellow, White and GT Silver just looks outstanding with it. That is why like some others here, I spec'd it on mine, and I love it.

And one cool feature is this: If you tilt the sunroof (glass or metal), the spoiler goes up another notch, giving it almost a ducktail look.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:00 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Does anybody know the location and weight of the sub-woofer (base sound system) in the T?

thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:46 PM
shing911500e
Instructor

Originally Posted by anythingbuttime
I don't think there was an "if." Well respected Rennlisters have reported that there was a licensing issue. I agree the weight/cost savings don't align with past iterations, but I do think it came together to a well received package...
Precisely the point I was making with my original post on the issue. The car deserves to stand on it's own merits. It something far more spicy than what the original T was ever intended to be, but may not be the reincarnation of the Club Sport ( of which I'm very familiar). I think the RS America reference is getting closer to what this car is about but still, it's something different. For which I love it, and for which I say, keep the name as Porsche did. It's a Carrera T and there has never been another! Celebrate as I do, every time you see it and drive it!
Old 08-11-2018, 11:49 PM
shing911500e
Instructor

[QUOTE=shing911500e;15209221

]Precisely the point I was making with my original post on the issue. The car deserves to stand on it's own merits. It something far more spicy than what the original T was ever intended to be, but may not be the reincarnation of the Club Sport ( of which I'm very familiar). I think the RS America reference is getting closer to what this car is about but still, it's something different. For which I love it, and for which I say, keep the name as Porsche did. It's a Carrera T and there has never been another! Celebrate as I do, every time you see it and drive it!
Old 08-12-2018, 12:12 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by newtown03
Porsche was trying to recreate the 1988 Club Sport(see description from wiki below), I'm considering making a "CS Club Sport" decal on the left fender(like the 1988) and deleting all T decals, the old 911 T was a stripped down version to lower the selling price.

The 911 Carrera Club Sport (CS) (option M637), 340 of which were produced from August 1987 to September 1989, is a reduced weight version of the standard Carrera that, with engine and suspension modifications, was purpose built for club racing. The CS had a blueprinted engine with hollow intake valves and a higher rev limit, deletion of: all power options, sunroof (except one unit), air conditioning (except two unit), radio, rear seat, undercoating, sound insulation, rear wiper, door pocket lids, fog lamps, front hood locking mechanism, engine and luggage compartment lights, lockable wheel nuts and even the rear lid "Carrera" logo, all in order to save an estimated 70 kg (150 lb) in weight. With the exception of CSs delivered to the UK, all are identifiable by the "CS Club Sport" decal on the left front fender and came in a variety of colors, some special ordered. Some U.S. CS's did not have the decal installed by the dealer; however, all CS's have a "SP" stamp on the crankcase and cylinder head. The UK CS's were all "Grand Prix White" with a red "Carrera CS" decal on each side of the car and red wheels. Although the CS was well received by the club racers, because it cost more than the stock 911, but had fewer comfort features. According to Porsche Club of America and Porsche Club Great Britain CS Registers, 21 are documented as delivered to the U.S. in 1988 with 7 in 1989, one to Canada in 1988 and 53 to the United Kingdom from 1987 to 1989.
see Jordan Pryce post earlier in this thread, he is making a CS.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:16 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 376 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
I know that in the "T-world" it is heresy against the "ethos of the T" to spec a sunroof, and even worst, a glass sunroof. BUT, you've got to admit, that with some colors, the black glass roof just looks FANTASTIC! Red, Yellow, White and GT Silver just looks outstanding with it. That is why like some others here, I spec'd it on mine, and I love it.

And one cool feature is this: If you tilt the sunroof (glass or metal), the spoiler goes up another notch, giving it almost a ducktail look.
I thought this wasn't true on the T. I thought the spoiler already raised more, so you didn't get the extra sunroof bump. Has this been confirmed. I Am on the other side of this one. To my taste, I think it looks terrible on any lighter colored car (red, yellow,silver, white, etc..) ..but I know I would enjoy the open view upward while behind the wheel. I am currently spec'd without it but I am not at lock yet..and I do keep thinking about making the call to add it...

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club