Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 12:55 AM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma
I noticed the spoiler in my CT will automatically deploy at different speeds when I have the windows down. I have read the spoiler behaves differently with a sunroof open, but my CT does not have a sunroof. I was driving around this past weekend and noticed the spoiler coming up at odd speeds - 30-40mph, or even less. It has never done that before, but I don't recall having both windows down before. Must be some algorithm based on window position. It also seems to have something to do with how aggressively I'm driving - I swear I noticed it coming up early if I got on the gas hard. Anyone else notice different spoiler behavior with the windows down?
I’ve read that it comes up and down based on speed (lowering at 30 something mph)... UNLESS you are driving hard and the engine decides it is too hot. I.e. the engine management will determine more cooling is required.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:33 AM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 472 Likes on 213 Posts

Mine goes up and down much more with the roof transport system attached to the top. Also, windows down definitely affects the spoiler. Curious to know exactly how it knows to lower/raise?
Old 05-08-2019, 02:43 AM
Nathing32
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I heard it will squirm out a bit, but let you keep in control. I haven't pushed mine that hard yet and was curious.
I guess you could argue that it makes sense to start with it completely off so you learn the limits of the car without any (or very little) computer intervention first. Then go to sport to see what difference that makes. Either way you’d be having a lot of fun!
Old 05-08-2019, 10:18 AM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathing32
I guess you could argue that it makes sense to start with it completely off so you learn the limits of the car without any (or very little) computer intervention first. Then go to sport to see what difference that makes. Either way you’d be having a lot of fun!
Been meaning to do exactly that in a large open parking lot at some point.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:06 AM
chowdah
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Impressions 10 days and 1200 miles into ownership:

Like:
The symphony of engine and exhaust.
The small steering wheel w/o any multi-function controls getting in the way.
Being able to slide the seat back/forth quickly with manual lever to enter/exit the vehicle. I can do this in my 1989 BMW too but this seat is lighter.

Dislike:
Scraping the front lip. Can't use the private underground garage at work with this car b/c there's no way to create an angle at the bottom of the ramp and the gate travels on a low-profile rail that's too high for this car.
Phone integration (Android). Considering my next newest car is a 2003, it's an indictment that the integration in this car is not impressing me.

Need more getting used to:
Parking e-brake. I stopped using it at first b/c the direction is counter-intuitive but I'm trying to adapt rather than just leaving it in gear.
Side bolsters hugging my shoulder-blades. The extra support is great for normal drives but became too compressing over two 7hr drives.

I bought the T having never driven a 911 before. I've only owned cars with sticks, and while this shifter is magnificent, the clutch required adjustment to avoid stalling (lighter flywheel?). The visibility is better than my E30 'vert with the top up but I'm still thankful for an LCA nanny in the T. My E39 M5 has slightly better HP/TQ but the weight difference is obvious vs the T. Of course handling sets the 911 apart. The cabin may be the least comfortable place to be of my keepers but you can't have it all. I can't wait to get through run-in to experience some high-rpms blasts! Thanks Rennlist for making my first Porsche an easy decision.
The following users liked this post:
Jeahbladejeah (02-18-2020)
Old 05-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by chowdah

Like:
Being able to slide the seat back/forth quickly with manual lever to enter/exit the vehicle. I can do this in my 1989 BMW too but this seat is lighter.

Dislike:
Scraping the front lip. Can't use the private underground garage at work with this car b/c there's no way to create an angle at the bottom of the ramp and the gate travels on a low-profile rail that's too high for this car.
Phone integration (Android). Considering my next newest car is a 2003, it's an indictment that the integration in this car is not impressing me.

Parking e-brake. I stopped using it at first b/c the direction is counter-intuitive but I'm trying to adapt rather than just leaving it in gear.
Side bolsters hugging my shoulder-blades. The extra support is great for normal drives but became too compressing over two 7hr drives.

I bought the T having never driven a 911 before. I've only owned cars with sticks, and while this shifter is magnificent, the clutch required adjustment to avoid stalling (lighter flywheel?). The visibility is better than my E30 'vert with the top up but I'm still thankful for an LCA nanny in the T. My E39 M5 has slightly better HP/TQ but the weight difference is obvious vs the T. Of course handling sets the 911 apart. The cabin may be the least comfortable place to be of my keepers but you can't have it all. I can't wait to get through run-in to experience some high-rpms blasts! Thanks Rennlist for making my first Porsche an easy decision.
Congrats and welcome to Porsche. I too came from BMW (2002's and an E38 740i) and immediately loved the drama of the 997.1 flat-6 howling away behind me. I'd been looking seriously at an AM Vantage but one test rip in the 911 and I was sold. Since then I've cycled through a 2008 Twin Turbo cab, two Macans, a 981 Cayman, a 993 C2S and two (yep two - they're that good) 987.2 Spyders. And my CT should be arriving in a week or two into the dealership. I've become used to focusing on what Porsche does brilliantly (the engine, steering, complete driving package) and learned to turn a blind eye on its electronics. There is no question BMW does a better job with electronics but for me in my Porsches I rarely, if ever, turn on the radio and I don't like the current plethora of driving nannies that are available as options. Instead, I keep the revs high and listen to the engine.

So I'm looking forward to driving the CT. I ordered it sight unseen, no test-drive etc... And I'm currently still driving arguably one of the best driving cars in the world, the 987.2 Gen-1 Boxster Spyder. So it's going to be an interesting transition back into the larger, rear-engined, 991. I'm looking forward to something a bit bigger and with the RAS it should be a GREAT drive.

Again, welcome to Porsche. The e-brake I agree is lame, but you can solve the issue with you side seat bolsters by driving faster around the corners.

Last edited by Zeus993; 05-09-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:51 AM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by chowdah

Like:

Dislike:

Congrats and welcome! I agree with your thoughts here.

On the front lip, I did not get front axle lift based on so many opinions that it isn't needed in this car. I thought I had scraped the front lip on a few ramps, but I think it was actually the soft air deflector in front of the front tire and not the actual fascia lip. At least when I look underneath I see zero sign of any contact on the fascia lip. The front lip is a replaceable component if it should get damaged.

Android integration is really bad. I partially solved that problem by picking up a refurb iPhone 6 that I solely keep in the car to use for Waze and Google Maps via CarPlay. It sucks that I have to do this but at least I can get access to Google maps. PCM overall is a known weak spot..
Old 05-09-2019, 06:01 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Comment in first 25 seconds is interesting. I don't have bucket seats, so I guess mine is not a collector car.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:21 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,219 Likes on 448 Posts

^^^ Thanks for sharing. No buckets in my T either, but mine is not a collector car either. Mine is used & enjoyed daily!

Interesting that he said the five-spoke wheels are about 7kg heavier than the Carrera S wheels (per set of 4 I presume).
Old 05-09-2019, 06:27 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
^^^ Thanks for sharing. No buckets in my T either, but mine is not a collector car either. Mine is used & enjoyed daily!

Interesting that he said the five-spoke wheels are about 7kg heavier than the Carrera S wheels (per set of 4 I presume).
Yeah, I kind of don't care if it's collector or not. It's all a bonus if it is.
I noticed that as well and was thinking it has to be all four wheels. Even then, that's unsprung as well as rotational weight.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:33 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,219 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
I noticed that as well and was thinking it has to be all four wheels. Even then, that's unsprung as well as rotational weight.
Another bonus for me selecting the Carrera S wheels on my T!
Old 05-12-2019, 04:14 PM
highwatersound
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI Guys with the carbon sport buckets, how are they on the long haul or multiple day road trips?
Old 05-12-2019, 08:02 PM
mpwww
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

For me the LWBs are incredibly comfortable and supportive seats. But that’s after you get in them. You won’t want to be hopping in/out of LWBs. It takes a little bit of levitation.

Side note I went to a PCA event this weekend (NNJR PCA Driving Clinic) and the Lava T got lots of waves, thumbs ups, and shout outs. Really happy with the color. Makes me smile every time I get in it and every time I see it parked. And it was the only T there! GT3s, GT2s, and Turbos, but only 1 T.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:22 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by highwatersound
HI Guys with the carbon sport buckets, how are they on the long haul or multiple day road trips?
can only speak to my personal experience but I didn't tire from the seating position/stiffness/"lowness" of the seat

The only thing I had to do was add a bit of lumbar support by putting a folded hand towel between the alcantara seat insert and the actual CF seat frame which was a good tip from someone else here on RL. They look absolutely beautiful, but getting in and out can be tricky especially if you cannot open your door fully then it's tough

It's very subjective, some hate them some love them so highly encourage you to sit in them if not get seat time as a passenger in a LWBS equipped car before committing either way
Old 05-12-2019, 10:33 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 377 Posts

These also helps on comfort by reclining more. I like my LWB, no issue on long trip.

https://www.trackspecauto.com/store/ts001

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club