Sponsored by:

>>The Official Porsche 991.2/911T Club<<Purist Driver's Car>>

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 04:19 PM
fl0950
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Now that I have the T...

I picked up my GT Silver T (MT) from Porsche of Colorado Springs and drove it back to Wisconsin over 2 days, about 1200 miles. John Dyste did a great job delivering the car and it's an amazing dealership with a bunch of interesting cars on the showroom floor, including 2 GT3 Tourings waiting to be picked up by their owners. My last 911 was a '14 50th Anniversary, also a MT. I'm surprised how different the T is: much more torque at low revs, greatly improved 7 speed, vastly better PCM and overall tech. The car feels very different overall. I am waiting on an allocation for a GT3 Touring, and given how much I'm enjoying the T, I wonder if the GT3 will be worth it. I plan on some track days at Road America, so I've no doubt on the track it will be a big difference, but on the street I have my doubts. One other surprise, since I didn't spec the car, it came with the full bucket seats. I'm 65, and was worried about comfort, but on two 8-10 hour days driving the car back, I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable they are. A bit difficult to get in and out of though, but I'm pleased. Enjoy the pics.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:24 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fl0950

Super photo. Lovely car.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:31 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

I picked up my GT Silver T (MT) from Porsche of Colorado Springs and drove it back to Wisconsin over 2 days, about 1200 miles. John Dyste did a great job delivering the car and it's an amazing dealership with a bunch of interesting cars on the showroom floor, including 2 GT3 Tourings waiting to be picked up by their owners. My last 911 was a '14 50th Anniversary, also a MT. I'm surprised how different the T is: much more torque at low revs, greatly improved 7 speed, vastly better PCM and overall tech. The car feels very different overall. I am waiting on an allocation for a GT3 Touring, and given how much I'm enjoying the T, I wonder if the GT3 will be worth it. I plan on some track days at Road America, so I've no doubt on the track it will be a big difference, but on the street I have my doubts. One other surprise, since I didn't spec the car, it came with the full bucket seats. I'm 65, and was worried about comfort, but on two 8-10 hour days driving the car back, I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable they are. A bit difficult to get in and out of though, but I'm pleased. Enjoy the pics.
Watch this video. Maybe it'll help you decide a bit.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:43 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

I picked up my GT Silver T (MT) ... One other surprise, since I didn't spec the car, it came with the full bucket seats. ...
Welcome aboard. Looks like we have twin cars. Enjoy.

[Edit: I’ll take that GT3T off your hands when it gets here! Just kidding. Actually, like you, this T seems perfect, and all the car I’d ever need. Without being in danger of getting into more trouble with more hp.]

Last edited by BlackOptic; 06-14-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:25 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Beautiful car... then again, I might be biased!

I'm glad you mentioned that you had a 50th anniversary. Before deciding on the T, my other option was a '14 50th Anniversary, as I wanted a somewhat special car. How would you compare them in terms of everyday usability? Also, what other things come to mind when comparing both vehicles?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2018, 06:46 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Congrats, fl0950 and welcome to Club T! Great car and beautiful photography!
Old 06-14-2018, 10:33 PM
fl0950
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

Alex,
Compared to the 50th, the T is pretty different. It's got more low end power because of the turbo and the MT seems much more refined. The T has a shorter throw that makes the shifting more precise, definitely a firmer, more mechanical feel, which I like. So around town, the lower RPM power is a plus. You can turn the exhaust off or on; when it's in the "quiet" mode, it's pretty mellow, nice actually. And I was surprised how quiet the car seemed, less tire noise for certain on the highway. And the systems (PCM, lighting, Bose) are much improved. I had the Burmester in the 50th, but the Bose is fine. As to ride, the T is firm even in normal, but not objectionable, and the roads in parts of Wisconsin can be pretty bad. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Larry
Old 06-14-2018, 11:21 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Alex,
Compared to the 50th, the T is pretty different. It's got more low end power because of the turbo and the MT seems much more refined. The T has a shorter throw that makes the shifting more precise, definitely a firmer, more mechanical feel, which I like. So around town, the lower RPM power is a plus. You can turn the exhaust off or on; when it's in the "quiet" mode, it's pretty mellow, nice actually. And I was surprised how quiet the car seemed, less tire noise for certain on the highway. And the systems (PCM, lighting, Bose) are much improved. I had the Burmester in the 50th, but the Bose is fine. As to ride, the T is firm even in normal, but not objectionable, and the roads in parts of Wisconsin can be pretty bad. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Larry

Thank you Larry!

That is just what I wanted to hear, as I never actually got to drive the 50th and always bugged me not having tested it before making the choice, but it looks like the T was the right choice!
Old 06-14-2018, 11:25 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Took delivery of my T today And Rodger and Porsche North Houston are outstanding with the experience and service. Rodger changed the side markers for me. Took it for a quick drive and I love it. I will do a better write up in two weeks as I have to park it for next 10 days due to other commitments.
Power out of tight corners and the car jumps, great hook up and power.
Replaced shifter boot with a GT4 type, only one in alcantara and guards red stitching. Procedure, twist ring below shifter and under boot, pull up, then use a very thin upholstery tool and insert in front of boot, slightly offset from sender, now pull up and pry with tool. All comes up. Remove shifter from boot by pinching the pins under boot ring. Reverse to install. 5-10min.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:37 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Fl0950. Great pictures. Lovely.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:04 AM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

love the car and your excitement of it.

congrats and enjoy!
Old 06-17-2018, 03:40 PM
Northern911T
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Reverse gear issue:

Not sure if reverse should be like this with my T and manual. When reversing on surface with some angle, and when the car just little bit moves and slightly lifting the clutch, the engine keeps the revs by itself between 1000 rpm - 2500 rpm and they and changing all the time, and I am not moving my foot on the throttle, so the engine by itself changes the rpm´s. Weird. This does not happen with other gears.

So I was just wondering if it should be like this or not. Do you guys have the same if reversing and just slightly lifting the clutch. When clutch fully lifted, no problem when reversing.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:44 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgavem

Took delivery of my T today And Rodger and Porsche North Houston are outstanding with the experience and service. Rodger changed the side markers for me. Took it for a quick drive and I love it. I will do a better write up in two weeks as I have to park it for next 10 days due to other commitments.
Power out of tight corners and the car jumps, great hook up and power.
Replaced shifter boot with a GT4 type, only one in alcantara and guards red stitching. Procedure, twist ring below shifter and under boot, pull up, then use a very thin upholstery tool and insert in front of boot, slightly offset from sender, now pull up and pry with tool. All comes up. Remove shifter from boot by pinching the pins under boot ring. Reverse to install. 5-10min.

Congrats Tor, beautiful car!

Enjoy it in good health.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:42 AM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern911T
Reverse gear issue:

Not sure if reverse should be like this with my T and manual. When reversing on surface with some angle, and when the car just little bit moves and slightly lifting the clutch, the engine keeps the revs by itself between 1000 rpm - 2500 rpm and they and changing all the time, and I am not moving my foot on the throttle, so the engine by itself changes the rpm´s. Weird. This does not happen with other gears.

So I was just wondering if it should be like this or not. Do you guys have the same if reversing and just slightly lifting the clutch. When clutch fully lifted, no problem when reversing.
I’ve been noticing the ‘hill lock’ feature when moving forward on a slight hill. Even without engaging the electronic parking break, when taking your foot off the brake, the car will continue to ‘hold’ until you start to release the clutch. Same thing happens in reverse?
Old 06-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Northern911T
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes the hill lock feature engages when more than 5 degrees of angle.

the reverse is different somehow. The engine itself changes the rpm between 1000- 2500 rpm, when I reverse, dispete, my throttle is constant. So do you have this when reversing and slightly lifting the clutch, so that the car slightly moves? That is when the engine itself starts changing the rpm s. So I am not sure if it should be like this or not. This is somehow weird.

Quick Reply: >>The Official Porsche 991.2/911T Club<<Purist Driver's Car>>