Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

>>The Official Porsche 991.2/911T Club<<Purist Driver's Car>>

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 11:09 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Remind me why the GT2 seat is not available in the US ? That is a great seat.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:07 AM
crand002
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cars look great!

Sorry if it's been covered, when did Michelin PS4s' become standard?
Old 05-04-2018, 09:12 AM
crand002
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sjglaser

I’m afraid then my T is a triple travesty: FAL, rear wiper (meaning normal glass), and glass sunroof. But here’s the thing, I won’t track it and just simply drive. Having said that, I can only imagine how much sharper the “purer” builds are as it relates to handling, sound and performance, because so far, for me, the T is fabulous.
Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend. I’m glad you love your car and that you were able to spec it exactly the way you wanted to.

It’s simply my opinion. I feel Porsche has given customers a car that many manufacturers simply do not do. In fact, Porsche has not done a car like the T or at least to the extent they went to with this model (closest maybe the 964 RS America?). Instead of offering just a “Tribute” car with only exclusive interior and exterior finishes, they are giving customers a combination of standard exclusive performance features, albeit modest, in the form of weight reduction, gearing and improved handling. Additionally, Porsche offers customers who lust for the performance oriented features only found in higher performance models cars, options like LWB’s w/rear seat delete and RWS.

Because I feel that the T could be much more than primarily a cosmetic “Tribute” car, I don’t see why someone who is not going to take full advantage of the performance component offered in the least powerful 911 wouldn’t just get a base or an S. Again, just my opinion. With that being said, the T in any configuration certainly does look good!
Old 05-04-2018, 11:40 AM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by crand002
...Sorry if it's been covered, when did Michelin PS4s' become standard?
In the US, mine came with Pirelli Pzeros.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:47 AM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Because I feel that the T could be much more than primarily a cosmetic “Tribute” car, I don’t see why someone who is not going to take full advantage of the performance component offered in the least powerful 911 wouldn’t just get a base or an S. Again, just my opinion. With that being said, the T in any configuration certainly does look good!
I have a 2017 S with PDK - awesome car - spectacular transmission. But for me personally, it sanitizes what having a true off-the-track "sports" car experience is all about. I liken it to buying an aerobatic airplane and only flying it on autopilot. Now I am not any more interested in tracking my Porsche, than I am flying airshows, but that doesn't mean that I don't or I can't enjoy the performance and what I see as a better engaging driving experience for my own personal daily enjoyment.

That is exactly why the 911 T appeals to me because it can be a little of both!
Old 05-04-2018, 12:02 PM
crand002
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ronht
I have a 2017 S with PDK - awesome car - spectacular transmission. But for me personally, it sanitizes what having a true off-the-track "sports" car experience is all about. I liken it to buying an aerobatic airplane and only flying it on autopilot. Now I am not any more interested in tracking my Porsche, than I am flying airshows, but that doesn't mean that I don't or I can't enjoy the performance and what I see as a better engaging driving experience for my own personal daily enjoyment.

That is exactly why the 911 T appeals to me because it can be a little of both!
I get it for sure. I daily a manual M3
Old 05-04-2018, 01:12 PM
russdc
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
In the US, mine came with Pirelli Pzeros.
My car came with Michelin PS4
Old 05-04-2018, 01:17 PM
sjglaser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! No offense taken at all. I will admit I went for the cosmetic/marketing angle more than the performance bits. For me, the T has a certain "vibe"the base or "S" just doesn't have. Maybe it's an emotional connection since there's an original "T" in the family living abroad (see photo). On the other hand, those that have chosen the performance features (glass, seats, etc) are getting a very cool, fast car.

Last edited by sjglaser; 05-04-2018 at 01:21 PM. Reason: I should have blakened out license plate.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:00 PM
crand002
Intermediate

Beautiful T, I'd love that in my garage
Old 05-04-2018, 03:25 PM
racemor
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 45 Posts

Your post got me thinking, so I went back to the configurator and built an S that was as close to my T spec as I could make it. It turned out to be $16k above the price of my T, and that is without the cool, unique bits like short final drive, short shift, thin glass, less sounds deadening, and the chance to own a potentially rare 911. For those of us that have a budget to watch, I think the T becomes even more impressive. The only real benefit when comparing this S build to my T build would be the extra power. But having driven my base car for almost 2 years, I've never felt like it needed to be faster in a straight line. It just needed a little more "edge", something I'm hoping the combination of T features will give it.

And don't take this post the wrong way, I agree with the theory that a true, purist Carrera T would have LWBs, PCCBs, RAS, the big sterao and nothing else (and maybe not even the stereo). That is totally what my single, 34 year-old self would have ordered for sure. But my 50+ year-old self has a price point to meet and has a wife and daughter that like to ride to the mountains and take long trips, so there are a few compromises that need to be made. Luckily Porsche's practically a la carte system allows us all to come up with cars the fit our unique needs.

As for the name and marketing direction, I think pushing the car out to us as "lightweight" and a rebirth of the long-hood T was a mistake. We have all found that there are no big weight savings with the new one. And the old T was lowest powered, base 911 that didn't have any special items that gave it an advantage other than price, so no real match-up from the archives there either. What should they have called it? I don't know, maybe RSA or Club Sport? But I guess when you make a bazillion different variations of the same car, maybe you will eventually run out of names.

Last edited by racemor; 05-04-2018 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spellings
Old 05-04-2018, 04:50 PM
sjglaser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

racemor, your rationale reflects my thinking exactly.....I'm a 50-something; however, if I was in my 30s, I think I would have gone more toward the racing bits..... Thanks, Steve
Old 05-04-2018, 06:00 PM
crand002
Intermediate

Originally Posted by racemor
Your post got me thinking, so I went back to the configurator and built an S that was as close to my T spec as I could make it. It turned out to be $16k above the price of my T, and that is without the cool, unique bits like short final drive, short shift, thin glass, less sounds deadening, and the chance to own a potentially rare 911. For those of us that have a budget to watch, I think the T becomes even more impressive. The only real benefit when comparing this S build to my T build would be the extra power. But having driven my base car for almost 2 years, I've never felt like it needed to be faster in a straight line. It just needed a little more "edge", something I'm hoping the combination of T features will give it.

And don't take this post the wrong way, I agree with the theory that a true, purist Carrera T would have LWBs, PCCBs, RAS, the big sterao and nothing else (and maybe not even the stereo). That is totally what my single, 34 year-old self would have ordered for sure. But my 50+ year-old self has a price point to meet and has a wife and daughter that like to ride to the mountains and take long trips, so there are a few compromises that need to be made. Luckily Porsche's practically a la carte system allows us all to come up with cars the fit our unique needs.

As for the name and marketing direction, I think pushing the car out to us as "lightweight" and a rebirth of the long-hood T was a mistake. We have all found that there are no big weight savings with the new one. And the old T was lowest powered, base 911 that didn't have any special items that gave it an advantage other than price, so no real match-up from the archives there either. What should they have called it? I don't know, maybe RSA or Club Sport? But I guess when you make a bazillion different variations of the same car, maybe you will eventually run out of names.
I agree with many points here. And on paper I agree that an S would cost more (at MRSP) with similar options to that of a limited production T. The T really is a bargain, if you can get one
Old 05-04-2018, 09:04 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

In my case I love the concept of the T, but being a daily driver, I wanted to combine my options into what I like to call the Beauty and the Beast. So, yes, I do have the full leather including the steering column in deviated stitching (love it!!!), the T-Interior, 4-way seats (very comfy) and rear seats, along with glass sunroof. But at the same time I also wanted to have the Sport Chrono, Rear Axle Steering, short shifter, Sport Exhaust, shorter final drive transmission, Sports PASM. And the T was the perfect 911 to combine all of those things nicely, and even better, at a much better price than doing it on a Base or an S. So in my book, that is a double win.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:34 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
Remind me why the GT2 seat is not available in the US ? That is a great seat.
Crash test regulations.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Franz993
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 33 Posts

Can’t wait for my T to arrive in June. Does anyone know if the OEM 5mm spacers make sense for this car? I like the flush look but not sure if it is needed?

Quick Reply: >>The Official Porsche 991.2/911T Club<<Purist Driver's Car>>