991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting the record straight - the 911 T is a gift from Porsche

Old 03-17-2018, 05:40 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I struggled a bit with the options. I was looking to build a modern RS America. I was originally going to the standard black Sport Tex, but the dealer advised me that by adding cooled seats it would change to leather no charge. It's a bit overkill for me, but I get heated and cooled seats and leather for less than the Carrera T interior package. Tinted tail lights and red belts are a bit of a flourish, and I couldn't pass up the sport design front bumper. I wish I could get the folding buckets because I need the rear seats for my 2.5 year old, LWB simply aren't an option as much as I would like them.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:52 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Getting back to Stout’s comment about wishing for a 250 hp, $50k Porsche. My base 981 Cayman has 275 hp, cost $53k (no options, which is how I ordered it) and weighs a bit less than 3000 Ibs. Just saying..

A 912-like model, perhaps with the 2.5 l turbo from the 718s, would be interesting. At a reduced price from the base Carrera of course. Unfortunately I don’t think we will ever see a 2500 lb 911 again.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:58 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Doesn’t Porsche make a few really nice mid engine cars now, Boxster, Cayman, GT4, Carrera GT? What’s wrong with adding one of those perfect driver platforms with enough power to play with the Audi R8’s and others.
Are you trying to say that 1. Porsche makes the Carrera GT now and 2. That it didn’t have enough power to play with the Audi R8 and others?
Old 03-17-2018, 05:59 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Getting back to Stout’s comment about wishing for a 250 hp, $50k Porsche. My base 981 Cayman has 275 hp, cost $53k (no options, which is how I ordered it) and weighs a bit less than 3000 Ibs. Just saying..

A 912-like model, perhaps with the 2.5 l turbo from the 718s, would be interesting. At a reduced price from the base Carrera of course. Unfortunately I don’t think we will ever see a 2500 lb 911 again.
Porsche sees the Cayman/Boxster as the "lower priced" 911. I do think you will eventually see the base Carrera going to a turbo 4 cylinder, but as a function of environmental regulation. You'll never see a 911 cheaper than the current base Carrera.

anyone who wants a 250hp 911 for 50k should consider a 964. It's the last of the handmade and truly analogue 911s and will give you all the pucker-factor you need.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:16 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan Pryce

I struggled a bit with the options. I was looking to build a modern RS America. I was originally going to the standard black Sport Tex, but the dealer advised me that by adding cooled seats it would change to leather no charge. It's a bit overkill for me, but I get heated and cooled seats and leather for less than the Carrera T interior package. Tinted tail lights and red belts are a bit of a flourish, and I couldn't pass up the sport design front bumper. I wish I could get the folding buckets because I need the rear seats for my 2.5 year old, LWB simply aren't an option as much as I would like them.

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing your T. My 'little ones' are a bit older than yours, but they may occasionally go in the back for short journeys.

Roll on our deliveries!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:10 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Just drove a gts cabrio, pdk, ras, no pdcc followed by a base c2, pdk, pse.... trying to make final decisions before my T build lock in less than 2 weeks.

Impressions.
GTS
1. Holy chassis!! No comparison. The rear axle steering and spasm ARE TRANSFORMATIVE. Someone said it here before but now im a true believer. Im adding RAS to my T build. Super pumped about being able to spec this chassis for a lower price. Its a legit gift.
2. Boooooooost. Its faaast. But u really need to push the car to squeeze the power and you can catch it sleeping. Especially in manual mode if youre sleeping i didnt notice that much power difference compared to the S i have driven. Probably too scared to push it enough to find out.
3. Less sound deadening. Very noticeable. This will make a big difference on the T. Im getting the lightweight glass now after hearing what the gts sounded like.

C2
What a great engine.
1. Throttle response. Instantly notice it being eager and the smaller turbos make it feel like it wants to go and rev. Cant really tell its turbocharged (especially coming out of the gts).
2. Weight transfer... much more work to steer. Fighting understeer aftet coming out of the gts is shocking. The upgraded chassis in the T will be a game changer.
3. Traction. The lower power c2 is glued down. I could break the as$ loose on the gts at will once the turbos were loaded. AT WILL.

The T is truly a totally different model from the base. You wont need to be on track to notice this. Whichever editors dont think so are on drugs. Its not a baby gt3, but it IS a baby GTS. I think if you want a GTS but set your budget to around 100k, the T is a sweet proposition.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:15 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Just drove a gts cabrio, pdk, ras, no pdcc followed by a base c2, pdk, pse.... trying to make final decisions before my T build lock in less than 2 weeks.

Impressions.
GTS
1. Holy chassis!! No comparison. The rear axle steering and spasm ARE TRANSFORMATIVE. Someone said it here before but now im a true believer. Im adding RAS to my T build. Super pumped about being able to spec this chassis for a lower price. Its a legit gift.
2. Boooooooost. Its faaast. But u really need to push the car to squeeze the power and you can catch it sleeping. Especially in manual mode if youre sleeping i didnt notice that much power difference compared to the S i have driven. Probably too scared to push it enough to find out.
3. Less sound deadening. Very noticeable. This will make a big difference on the T. Im getting the lightweight glass now after hearing what the gts sounded like.

C2
What a great engine.
1. Throttle response. Instantly notice it being eager and the smaller turbos make it feel like it wants to go and rev. Cant really tell its turbocharged (especially coming out of the gts).
2. Weight transfer... much more work to steer. Fighting understeer aftet coming out of the gts is shocking. The upgraded chassis in the T will be a game changer.
3. Traction. The lower power c2 is glued down. I could break the as$ loose on the gts at will once the turbos were loaded. AT WILL.

The T is truly a totally different model from the base. You wont need to be on track to notice this. Whichever editors dont think so are on drugs. Its not a baby gt3, but it IS a baby GTS. I think if you want a GTS but set your budget to around 100k, the T is a sweet proposition.
this is a great synopsis
Old 03-17-2018, 08:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

The T would interest a lot more Porsche enthusiasts if it came with the six speed instead of the seven. I think that was a mistake on Porsche's part.
The following users liked this post:
Das14444 (01-24-2020)
Old 03-17-2018, 08:36 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The T would interest a lot more Porsche enthusiasts if it came with the six speed instead of the seven. I think that was a mistake on Porsche's part.
The 7 speed is great except for the tall gears. 7th gear gets locked out most of the time so its mainly 7 to 6 shifts that tend to get missed (grabbing 4). Otherwise its functionally the same shape as the 6 speed (with the lockout). From what i understand the gearing is even taller in the 718 6mt, so it sucks even worse. Even in the 981 gt4. I think 2-4 should be way shorter and rev faster, it would load the turbos more quickly as well.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

The spacing is different than the six speed and it has a very different feel. I've driven the seven a few times and didn't care for it much.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Agreed. Every single review that I have read said the T should have had a 6-speed box, as seen in the GT3, 911R, GT4 etc.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:44 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes, agree. I miss the 6 MT gearbox from my Cayman GTS. Precise and mechanical. I would roll down the window to hear sounds of the shifts as they bounced off the concrete walls from the garage at home and at work. Snick! Snick! A cliche I know, but sounded like the bold action of my Remington 30-06. My 991.2 GTS gearbox although not sloppy is not as precise and is nearly silent. And I rarely use 6th gear, let alone 7th, on my spirited interstate commutes: 3rd, 4th, 5th and repeat.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:44 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

The spacing is different than the six speed and it has a very different feel. I've driven the seven a few times and didn't care for it much.
Reports say that the 991.2 manual box is better than the 991.1. And that the manual box in the T is better than the 991.2 C2, due to shorter final drive ratio (from the Carrera S) and the shorter gear lever.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:49 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

I bet 90% of T buyers will like the 7mt enough to skip on the pdk... which says alot about how good it is. Agree it can be much better like the 6mt, but just saying thats not perfect either. They even compared the 6mt in the R to the gt3 and said its wayy better. 911guy- youtube- several days ago.
if you want a perfect manual gearbox you gotta pay mucho dinero apparently. If i was in california i would strongly consider havinh sharkwerks redo my gearbox just the way i like it.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:01 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan Pryce

My 991.2 GTS has a similar build, and had I skipped the leather interior and gone with white (both of which I was considering) and factoring in my 4% discount, would be less than 10 grand more than your T- build . So I'd say a relative stripper GTS is not a bad value, if not exactly a gift from Porsche.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Setting the record straight - the 911 T is a gift from Porsche