Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting the record straight - the 911 T is a gift from Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 07:52 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 453 Posts

I found in the previous two 5 speeds that Ive owned highway driving was annoying. They were not porsches though. Passing at cruising speeds, you never really had enough power in 4th, and 3rd was too much juice. Stoplight to stoplight it was the best, but I feel like 6 speeds are the perfect amount for a daily driver. Weekend car... 5 speed definitely has its advantages especially if you dont like shifting gears very often.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:52 PM
Buzzman57
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche T PTV

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
Too often I see ignorant comments here and in the press about the T claiming that it's all marketing since they could have gone lighter, used a different engine, included the S brakes etc. But the fact is this - Porsche gave us a gift by providing us with a cheaper way to get all of the good handling options.
That is all.

PS - Mine can't get here soon enough!

Q.
Porsche have made a lot about the PTV and manual transmission but all the characteristics lend themselves to the pdk box too and relative to a pdk Standard car the weight gains and dynamics still apply. However, no where do Porsche clarify if the pdk option includes PTV plus (as standard on the S). I presume this is included and will be disappointed to learn it is not upon delivery (May). Any of you US pdk fanboys made the enquiry. Not one of the reviews I have read or watched and Porsche’s own literature fails to clarify this point.
I am interested to hear from anyone enlightened on this matter.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:56 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Buzzman57

Q.
Porsche have made a lot about the PTV and manual transmission but all the characteristics lend themselves to the pdk box too and relative to a pdk Standard car the weight gains and dynamics still apply. However, no where do Porsche clarify if the pdk option includes PTV plus (as standard on the S). I presume this is included and will be disappointed to learn it is not upon delivery (May). Any of you US pdk fanboys made the enquiry. Not one of the reviews I have read or watched and Porsche’s own literature fails to clarify this point.

I emailed contact@porsche.de to answer this question. It might be worth multiple people emailing. I also called Germany because PCNA did not know. The person I spoke to said they need to forward this to Stuttgart at the plant where it is built. I also asked my service manager. No response yet. If all the reviewers lied and you actually get PTV/LSD with the PDK Im 50:50 on getting it as I have a little time before my build lock. I have the manual on my build right now.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:34 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts

Q.
I read somewhere in a previous thread that PTV was NOT included with PDK, but I have no first-hand knowledge.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:41 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Q.
If you go an read literature on the GT3, it gives you more insight. PTV can be had with PDK, but not included, ie Option. PTV with PDK uses the electronic diff to help rotate car. For Manual, PTV is brake based. So dont get PTV with manual car, just upgrade your diff.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:57 AM
Buzzman57
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PTV

porsche have now confirm that there is no PTV with PDK on Model T. It is deleted when you select PDK option. This raises a question as the car purchase price is no different. I am juggled and will take up upon delivery as none of this was explained and Porsche sales staff have not been briefed particularly well about this car. There was confusion with tinted gorilla glass option too.
Thank you for your interest.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:00 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

The info I obtained confirming this was from porsche but not in response to my email to germany. Still no response after 2 tries (first one was a month ago). I would consider this conclusion definitive unless I hear otherwise, in which case I will post further communication from Porsche here.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:07 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Why isn't there a credit if PTV is taken away when PDK is selected? PTV is a $1300 option on the C4.

What's the rationale to neuter the PDK version?
Old 04-06-2018, 06:01 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,282 Likes on 473 Posts

Why isn't there a credit if rear seats and/or PCM are not selected (in UK) ?

I selected rear seats, PCM and heated rear screen with standard glass. All free options!
Old 04-06-2018, 07:34 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini
Why isn't there a credit if PTV is taken away when PDK is selected? PTV is a $1300 option on the C4.

What's the rationale to neuter the PDK version?
Because Porsche.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:48 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Pdk version will still be bad as$ just for the chassis options and special interior options.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:30 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,282 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Pdk version will still be bad as$ just for the chassis options and special interior options.

And a bit quicker! But I'm loving my 7-speed manual transmission!

I read a recent review of the T by a very well respected motoring journalist. He said he'd choose PDK for a T. And it would be very nearly as quick as a GT3 with MT on the 0-60 dash!

Quick Reply: Setting the record straight - the 911 T is a gift from Porsche