Sponsored by:

991 Ducktail Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:32 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 991 Ducktail Install Questions

I'm going to order the Sport Design Ducktail and have it installed on my 2014 C2S with sunroof. Does anyone know what the extra $200 is for when ordering the tail with "coupe with sunroof"?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...BoCCKAQAvD_BwE

It states "Note: "***" For Coupe models with sunroof, a new sunroof control module (which modifies sunroof settings) must be installed, dealer installation and activation will be required." What difference does that make? I'm not going to be running it open at high speed and there's no way the sunroof retracts that far that it could hit the ducktail.

Anyone have better pricing on this? Looks like it just went up $200 from last week.

Do you reuse the third brake light from the deck lid or spoiler? I've read comments for both but it would seem more logical to use the one from the spoiler.

What parts are included in the kit? Is everything included to complete the install?

I talked to my body shop today, Jake Tomlinson in Auburn, and he said to have the programming done after they finish the paint and install. I know there's a code to keep the spoiler from deploying at speed and another one to deactivate the switch. Can I leave the switch activate so I can lift it and clean under there or does it matter? I'll schedule the programming for my drive home from Jake's at Niello Porsche.

Any other tips for the install?

Old 02-19-2018, 10:38 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the extra money has to do with the sunroof needing to be reprogrammed.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:39 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Thanks, It states sunroof control module. What does it do?
Old 02-19-2018, 11:52 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I think the sunroof module changes the angle or distance the sunroof retracts for aerodynamics. Either way I don't have it. You don't need it. Just don't do 150 with the sunroof open.
You reuse the brake light from the engine cover.
If you order from Suncoast it will include everything you need for install.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:00 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Ryan, thanks. I won't order the module then. Did your dealer charge you to reprogram the spoiler?
Old 02-20-2018, 12:17 AM
-Ryan-
Pro

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
Ryan, thanks. I won't order the module then. Did your dealer charge you to reprogram the spoiler?
No they didn't charge me, it doesn't take very long. The reason you have to get it reprogrammed is so you don't get a spoiler malfunction message on the dash every time you go over 70 or whatever speed the stock spoiler automatically goes up at.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:59 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
I think the sunroof module changes the angle or distance the sunroof retracts for aerodynamics. Either way I don't have it. You don't need it. Just don't do 150 with the sunroof open.
You reuse the brake light from the engine cover.
If you order from Suncoast it will include everything you need for install.
Not to argue with you, but if the factory thought it necessary then not installing it will have detrimental effect on handling at some certain speed. Perhaps this owner will never be in that situation, but how many times will this car change hands before that tidbit gets lost in the sands of time? What if 10 years from now some new owner tracks the car or takes it on the autobahn? If Porsche engineers thought it necessary then I for one would follow their advice. None of us can know the exact reason or consequences. Airflow is a science. If money is too tight to do it right, don’t do it at all IMHO.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:04 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I added the duck and did everything by the book including sunroof module and even new center button console losing the spoiler button. Dealer programming too.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:52 AM
-Ryan-
Pro

Originally Posted by ibmiked

Not to argue with you, but if the factory thought it necessary then not installing it will have detrimental effect on handling at some certain speed. Perhaps this owner will never be in that situation, but how many times will this car change hands before that tidbit gets lost in the sands of time? What if 10 years from now some new owner tracks the car or takes it on the autobahn? If Porsche engineers thought it necessary then I for one would follow their advice. None of us can know the exact reason or consequences. Airflow is a science. If money is too tight to do it right, don’t do it at all IMHO.
Get a hold of yourself sir.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:26 AM
dmia
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
Most important thing is to make sure you take the spoiler to a good paint shop. You can easily install the spoiler yourself if you're a DIY kind of guy. The most difficult part of installing the spoiler is attaching and routing the wires to the appropriate spots on the spoiler. Everything else is super simple using the instructions provided by a fellow RL Plenum. Otherwise take it to the dealer to have it installed and programmed. Shouldn't take them more than 2-3 hours to do everything.

Porsche recommends you spend the $200 for the module (and another $300 for install) as well as a new front Sport Design bumper. I personally don't like the front SD bumper. There have been countless discussions on whether you should follow the book regarding the moonroof module. It's up to you and how picky you are. I'm super picky and even I didn't get the module. Just keep the sunroof closed if you're going over 100mph. Who leaves the moonroof open at that speed anyways? If airflow is important to you, keep all windows and moonroof closed at high speed.

Good luck I love my duck tail!
Old 02-21-2018, 03:19 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by dmia
Most important thing is to make sure you take the spoiler to a good paint shop. You can easily install the spoiler yourself if you're a DIY kind of guy. The most difficult part of installing the spoiler is attaching and routing the wires to the appropriate spots on the spoiler. Everything else is super simple using the instructions provided by a fellow RL Plenum. Otherwise take it to the dealer to have it installed and programmed. Shouldn't take them more than 2-3 hours to do everything.

Porsche recommends you spend the $200 for the module (and another $300 for install) as well as a new front Sport Design bumper. I personally don't like the front SD bumper. There have been countless discussions on whether you should follow the book regarding the moonroof module. It's up to you and how picky you are. I'm super picky and even I didn't get the module. Just keep the sunroof closed if you're going over 100mph. Who leaves the moonroof open at that speed anyways? If airflow is important to you, keep all windows and moonroof closed at high speed.

Good luck I love my duck tail!
One would imagine the SPASM lip should provide about the same frontal downforce as the SD bumper?
Old 02-21-2018, 12:06 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
Get a hold of yourself sir.
I get it, it sounds preachy. But the truth is that a previous owner of a vehicle can get sued for knowingly modifying a vehicle in an unsafe way. The key words being 'knowingly'. Talking about such things on an internet forum for the world to read will take away any chance of pleading ignorance if the worst was to happen.
The following users liked this post:
OmairK (12-05-2022)
Old 02-21-2018, 12:10 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Oh boy...
Old 02-21-2018, 12:19 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I just installed the Cup Aero kit and bought/installed the sunroof module. I understood that if the sunroof is opened at speed it will deactivate (lower) the rear wing as the open sunroof messes with the aerodynamics.

The new sunroof module deactivates this interaction between the sunroof and the rear wing.

I had a local Porsche speed shop do the install and took care of the paint work too with a Co. they use for all their race cars. Everything came out perfect.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:33 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
I just installed the Cup Aero kit and bought/installed the sunroof module. I understood that if the sunroof is opened at speed it will deactivate (lower) the rear wing as the open sunroof messes with the aerodynamics.

The new sunroof module deactivates this interaction between the sunroof and the rear wing.

I had a local Porsche speed shop do the install and took care of the paint work too with a Co. they use for all their race cars. Everything came out perfect.
Thanks. I'm a bit unclear on what the module deactivates. If I have the dealer change the programming so the spoiler doesn't raise up at speed then what you stated wouldn't have any affect on this. Maybe I'm confused.

I posted a photo of my car in the first post as the sunroof doesn't interfere with the ducktail physically. Having the sunroof open is going to affect the airflow regardless what's hanging off the back and what speed you're driving. I'm not planning on any 150 mph blasts or track days with the sunroof open.

So what I'm still looking for is a definitive answer on what the new module does. If it limits the travel of the sunroof then by how much?

If you go back and read my first post I've got the install covered.

Quick Reply: 991 Ducktail Install Questions