Sponsored by:

991 Ducktail Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 03:29 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,227 Likes on 742 Posts

Looks sharp!

Replace your rear tail reflector markers with white ones.

https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.ph...gory&path=4_44
Old 04-01-2018, 12:52 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Looks sharp!

Replace your rear tail reflector markers with white ones.

https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.ph...gory&path=4_44
Thanks. I looked at those before but decided I wanted to keep the reflectors. Now if someone made a white reflector I'd be in.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:48 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=PSGA4;14897977]I choose not to add the sunroof module at this present time/QUOTE]

Maybe this is why. I replaced the sunroof module with the Cup Aero kit and zero issues.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:55 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PSGA4
Looks amazing!! Bravo!
I just went through the same process but decided to do the install myself. It's pretty straight forward once you have the awesome instructions that the very generous fellow Rennlister, Plenum provides. That gentleman's top notch. I choose not to add the sunroof module at this present time, but more than likely will do so in the near future.
I do have a quick question, did you ever get a 'Check high level brake light warning' ? I have had my dealer program out the active spoiler, don't get the spoiler malfunction warning now but keep getting the 'check high level brake light'. I've been to my local independent Porsche shop and they can't figure it out either, everything that needs to be updated using PWIIS is correct.
Just throwing it out there to the community for advice...Your car looks brilliant! Ducktails for life...
Disconnect, check and reconnect the harness that plugs into the brake light. I would get that message sometimes as well when applying the brakes. Checking my connections fixed it.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:26 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

I'm all set on the programming and Niello Porsche charged me $90. They had to do a reset to eliminate the brake light error message.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:50 AM
PSGA4
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fixed it!!👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Update...
It's a weird one but my high level brake light warning was due to the pins on the Porsche supplied wiring harness for the ducktail that came with the kit not matching the pins on the main body harness to which it connects.
Fortunately I work in an industry along side Avionic tech's who had a look and metered all the pins and outputs and it was pretty obvious where the issue lay. Both Porsche harnesses that are included in the kit, one for a coupe and one for a cabriolet where pinned incorrectly. When the harness was connected to the body side the #8 red/black wire in the DT harness matched against a blank spot in the connector on the body side. Those connectors are tricky to take apart without breaking the locking tabs. Fortunately I had the spare cabriolet one to play with before trying to do the same on my installed harness. With a bit of finesse and of course the expertise of my co-worker, we changed the pins to correlate with the body harness side, metered the outputs and bingo, the brake light worked.
Don't understand why they didn't match but it's all sorted out and just took a little bit of digging around from the right guy to figure it out pretty quick.
Thanks for your suggestions, appreciate it.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:53 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely love the Duck!!

The Sport Design option includes the front and rear spoiler (duck).

Is there a known aero significance or possible consequence of only using the rear?
Old 04-04-2018, 09:12 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage

Is there a known aero significance or possible consequence of only using the rear?
Thanks. Possibly but I'm not worrying about it. My car is a SPASM car with the added front lip and higher rear spoiler. I doubt there is much difference between the ducktail and rear spoiler. Regardless I did this for looks.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:15 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Turned out great!
Old 04-06-2018, 07:32 PM
smbryan
Racer

Yes
Old 04-06-2018, 08:43 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Originally Posted by smbryan
Yes
So if you have the answer how about sharing what the differences are.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:58 PM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don’t routinely drive over 100mph I wouldn’t worry about it.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:37 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by N2B8TOR

If you don’t routinely drive over 100mph I wouldn’t worry about it.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:39 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by PSGA4
Update...
It's a weird one but my high level brake light warning was due to the pins on the Porsche supplied wiring harness for the ducktail that came with the kit not matching the pins on the main body harness to which it connects.
Fortunately I work in an industry along side Avionic tech's who had a look and metered all the pins and outputs and it was pretty obvious where the issue lay. Both Porsche harnesses that are included in the kit, one for a coupe and one for a cabriolet where pinned incorrectly. When the harness was connected to the body side the #8 red/black wire in the DT harness matched against a blank spot in the connector on the body side. Those connectors are tricky to take apart without breaking the locking tabs. Fortunately I had the spare cabriolet one to play with before trying to do the same on my installed harness. With a bit of finesse and of course the expertise of my co-worker, we changed the pins to correlate with the body harness side, metered the outputs and bingo, the brake light worked.
Don't understand why they didn't match but it's all sorted out and just took a little bit of digging around from the right guy to figure it out pretty quick.
Thanks for your suggestions, appreciate it.
Do you recall which pin(s) you moved? I have the same issue and think I’ve narrowed it down, but would appreciate any insight you have. Also, any recommendations for how to disassemble the harness to move the pin?

thanks!
Old 10-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Chris Keefer
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a Question on this install:

I received the spoiler, along with a bunch of other parts from Suncoast for this. 2 support plates, one for the duck and then one for new vent slats?? In the box was additional rear vent slats as well as a block-off for the 3rd brake light. I called SunCoast to inquire as to why it came with all the extra parts and the guy claimed it was supposed to come with it but also wasn't very convincing. Has anyone else run into this? The main reason I ask is because I'm not quite sure what needs to be replaced and what doesn't at this point. I've read the porsche step by step which really isn't anything to brag about. I have hte wiring harnesses, which I expected to get, but the rest has me a little confused as there really isn't any mention of the slats from everything I've read.

TIA for any answers on this.

Quick Reply: 991 Ducktail Install Questions