Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 07:46 PM
RazMan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of the 'India/China rubbish' is actually quite high quality these days and equal to many of the stock units - certainly those installed in 5-10 year old cars anyway, and there are any number of happy people on here who have made the change with no regrets (myself included)
I did not mean to disrespect your product though - I was merely pointing out that for a fraction of the cost, you can gain a whole lot of extra functionality over PCM while maintaining a stock appearance. My reason for moving to the dark side was because I got a horrendous quote of £375 for simply updating the maps of my PCM3 plus the dealer actually refused to code it for a retrofitted reversing camera!
£200 for a Chinese head unit which includes a reversing camera,DAB, TPMS, engine management, GPS with all the maps I can ever hope for and the choice of thousands of free apps too? It's was a no-brainer for me

Last edited by RazMan; 04-03-2019 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:12 AM
Tom Walton
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ridiculous not to offer Android Auto

There are loads of premium Android phones these days. I've got a Pixel 3 which smashes my previous iPhones to bits. Not offering Android Auto is lazy at best!

[QUOTE=Papa Fittig;14804182]
Originally Posted by phx991
nice attempt defending Porsche I am in minority then.
On a side note, Android platform is more configurable, open and comes with more capabilities. Always have a smile when my wife comes with an issue or a request regarding her iPhone.
In general, never see a good outcome of a company's position supporting a "closed" platform.
Some may have remembered Apple fiasco with laser printers, which they developed before anyone else to only lose high value market to HP and others due to Apple refusing to have their printers work with Pcs.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:04 AM
SDK Autos
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 34 Posts

HI guys,

We've just released the latest version of Porsche Android 2.0

http://www.sdkautos.com

Video here:

Old 07-03-2019, 09:07 AM
John Dorman
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw your unlisted install videos, doesn't look too bad.

Couple questions

Can I write my own APKs / Launchers if want and load them?
Why do you recommend the Porsche WiFi over a phones tether?
Will I be able to update this to Android Q?
If I decide to ditch Android could I just install whatever version of Linux I want on it?
What's stopping me from doing this with a Arduous / Raspberry PI?
If I buy this will you provide source code so I can modify it and contribute back to the community?
Old 07-03-2019, 09:34 AM
SDK Autos
Instructor

Hi John,

Can I write my own APKs / Launchers if want and load them?

Absolutely you can

Why do you recommend the Porsche WiFi over a phones tether?

Porsche Wifi

Will I be able to update this to Android Q?

Possibly

If I decide to ditch Android could I just install whatever version of Linux I want on it?

Sure theoretically

What's stopping me from doing this with a Arduous / Raspberry PI?

Months if not years of work to integrate and interface with the PCM

If I buy this will you provide source code so I can modify it and contribute back to the community?

It's Android source code
Old 07-03-2019, 09:38 AM
John Dorman
Intermediate

Why do you recommend Porsche WiFi?

I understand it's Android source code, but you had to write your own Launcher and APKs for stuff, do you plan to provide that to buyers who want to enhance the product?
Old 07-03-2019, 09:41 AM
John Dorman
Intermediate

Also, what board did you use? Tegra 4i?
Old 07-03-2019, 10:04 AM
SDK Autos
Instructor

Originally Posted by John Dorman
Why do you recommend Porsche WiFi?

Purely for ease of use, it's on every time the car starts, doesn't drain your phone battery, etc. It also works fine from a phone HotSpot

I understand it's Android source code, but you had to write your own Launcher and APKs for stuff, do you plan to provide that to buyers who want to enhance the product?
There isn't a large community for this type of product, even my sales volumes are extremely low - supporting an open source community would take time away from the development of the product, I spend a lot of time just helping people install the system as it is and there are better Launchers that can be installed and used for the system (I recommend a few for people who purchase the unit). Also I don't recommend users install unsigned APK's so the time investment there is also negligible if that makes sense. I'm all for helping people get the unit installed and up and running and customized with Launchers and software that has passed Google's standards but beyond that, if people are welcome to do whatever they'd like with the units of course.

Hope that helps - I'm a Porsche enthusiast (drive a 991.2 GTS) and I just did this for my own car, it become popular in my Porsche club and now I distribute online in extrrmely low volumes, it's by no means my main business or income, just a Porsche community thing (I did it for Audi when I owned a TT many years ago and again for BMW with I owned a M2 and M4 before buying my 911).

Hope that gives some background and insight. Thanks for the interest John.
The following users liked this post:
John Dorman (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 10:07 AM
John Dorman
Intermediate

Right on dude, I am going to order one soon once I work up the ***** to install it.

You know any good shops in SoCal?
Old 07-03-2019, 10:12 AM
SDK Autos
Instructor

Originally Posted by John Dorman
Right on dude, I am going to order one soon once I work up the ***** to install it.

You know any good shops in SoCal?
I don't sorry, but based on your questions I can tell you're technical and know what you're doing so I don't imagine you'd have trouble doing it yourself. Otherwise any competent stereo installer, auto electrian or even mechanic can have it done in roughly one hour.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:24 AM
John Dorman
Intermediate

Sounds good, can't wait to purchase it and get it installed. I might tear apart my S7 also and see what mods it would take to get this working with there MIB platform. I have the B&O system in it so I know that the fiber is going to be different, but I can't imagine much else will be.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:03 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Can you post complete install videos or share a link to the unlisted ones?

your youtube channel has incomplete videos.

its a lot of kit, where does it all reside behind the dash.

P cars are very finicky about electronics, Nick Murry comes to mind
Old 07-03-2019, 11:19 AM
John Dorman
Intermediate

The videos aren't great but the install looks very easy if you are skilled with cable management.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:37 PM
SDK Autos
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Can you post complete install videos or share a link to the unlisted ones?

your youtube channel has incomplete videos.

its a lot of kit, where does it all reside behind the dash.

P cars are very finicky about electronics, Nick Murry comes to mind
I supply full installation videos and installation guides with each unit as well as 7 day support to help guide people through the process and answer any questions that have as they go.

You're right, P cars electrics are comparatively tourblesome, a lot of effort, testing and work goes into making the units work seamlessly.
The following users liked this post:
fastforddriver (07-04-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 10:17 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 172 Posts

does anyone here actually have this kit installed and can testify? this looks amazing but im not sure how flawless it'd run on a .2?

Quick Reply: Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?