Sponsored by:

I Don't Know Jack! Floor Jacks..

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 10:13 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Thanks. Any videos or instructions not using that product?
Old 02-02-2018, 11:09 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I have 2 ea. 2 ton 'Professional' jacks made by JEGS. This jack apparently has other labels. Also 4 of the jack point jack stands, and 4 high quality jack pads made by Reverselogic that 'lock' on the underside of the car. It's not really locked but stays attached to the car. For the jack pads, the oval piece is inserted into the hole at the jack point, and rotated 90 degrees. At that point it is hanging on the underside of the car and they work great. They are high quality and the owner of the company is great to work with, as is the owner of Jackpoint.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:44 AM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlee
I looked at the Jackpoint jack stands and think they are probably perfect for the 911 but I wanted to also use them on the Macan and not sure they would be tall enough.
I placed and order for these last week, a bit more flexible in height, permanently out of stock so will see how long they take to get here...https://safejacks.com/products/2-pac...d-by-safe-jack
Been looking at both. JackPoint looks to be the one size fits all creme de la creme. Waiting to see Safe Jack’s 991 specific saddle pad supposedly in testing now. Will have to pull the trigger in a few months.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
By far, the easiest way to put a 991 up in the air is Jackpoint jack stands. They allow you lift the car at the correct points on the car and keep the jack stands there at the same time with the open side design.

I am very happy with mine...need a low profile, jack, too (learned that the hard way).
Old 02-02-2018, 12:01 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

I really want some. I just don't want to pay for them.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:05 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

I forgot to mention, depending on what you are doing under the car, Race Ramps work great too.

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-02-2018, 12:14 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Don't do it.
Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Why not? I mean... I know it's not ideal... and learned very quickly that you can't stack them... but using one puck to jack up the car or fit a regular jack stand did the trick on my 981 for changing wheels and brakes.
I'm with LexVan. Here is the hockey puck pad with a cam-locking mechanism I bought online. It disintegrated on what I think was the third use. Without the lock keeping it in place the car might have shifted on the jack when it crumbled. Its not worth the risk to the car or my body in my opinion.

The RennLine pads or the Jackpoints make more sense, or any of the nicer jacks mentioned above that include a rubbery pad built-in.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:18 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flickroll
I forgot to mention, depending on what you are doing under the car, Race Ramps work great too.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_7i5bkzwmym_e
I put a pair of those on my Christmas wish list to no avail! Good suggestion I think. It's not completely clear to me which one would work without causing approach angle problems, striking the body before the tire gets on the ramp... especially with a SPASM car. Any suggestion?
Old 02-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I'm with LexVan. Here is the hockey puck pad with a cam-locking mechanism I bought online. It disintegrated on what I think was the third use. Without the lock keeping it in place the car might have shifted on the jack when it crumbled. Its not worth the risk to the car or my body in my opinion.

The RennLine pads or the Jackpoints make more sense, or any of the nicer jacks mentioned above that include a rubbery pad built-in.
Whoa. What IS that? I can't see that happening with actual hockey pucks. I'm wondering if that was some cheap thing meant to serve the same purpose but that really didn't hold up.

I'm not some sort of overzealous advocate for hockey pucks here. I'm just saying they seem to work well for basic maintenance tasks.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:47 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Whoa. What IS that? I can't see that happening with actual hockey pucks. I'm wondering if that was some cheap thing meant to serve the same purpose but that really didn't hold up.

I'm not some sort of overzealous advocate for hockey pucks here. I'm just saying they seem to work well for basic maintenance tasks.
Being in Texas I don't know what a quality puck looks/feels like compared too a cheap one. Maybe it was a spectacularly cheap one. It felt solid until the weight of the car hunkered down on it a couple times. So maybe a nice solid puck would be fine. I'm just going to stick with locking ones engineered for the purpose from now on after that.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:01 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

I put a pair of those on my Christmas wish list to no avail! Good suggestion I think. It's not completely clear to me which one would work without causing approach angle problems, striking the body before the tire gets on the ramp... especially with a SPASM car. Any suggestion?
I just went to look at the ones I have and there is no model number on them. They are 56"L x 12"W x 8"H. I have used them on the rear of the car only and there is no problem with a SPASM suspension.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:04 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flickroll
I just went to look at the ones I have and there is no model number on them. They are 56"L x 12"W x 8"H. I have used them on the rear of the car only and there is no problem with a SPASM suspension.
Thanks for going to the trouble! Using the Amazon link you gave earlier it appears those just happen to be the first ones that pop up. I'll put those on my short list of goodies to get.
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-02-2018, 01:06 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Thanks for going to the trouble! Using the Amazon link you gave earlier it appears those just happen to be the first ones that pop up. I'll put those on my short list of goodies to get.
https://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-RR...ef=sr_1_1_sspa
Or better... these one-piece ones for less $.
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-02-2018, 01:12 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Are the Harbor Freight ones better built than back in the mid-2000s? Mine developed a leak after about three years of use and would very slowly drop. Got one from Costco (thanks AOW162435!) and have never had an issue. Still have the HF for the few times when I need to jack up both sides of the car.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:18 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Or better... these one-piece ones for less $. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WSZH9G...pa_dk_detail_5
I clicked on the link and Amazon reports those are the ones I bought.

Quick Reply: I Don't Know Jack! Floor Jacks..