Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old Today, 03:06 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphsmit
I got some help on XDA—my config.txt had a line missing and I didn't delete it as it was already missing in my original backup but adding it back in straight away brought up the Bluetooth Menu option under devices.

Now, to solve the "noNames" that still appear when you want to pair a new device. I tried to initiate the connection from the Racechip XLR but that still times out.

Interesting, I didn't need the a2dp setting, don't even need the btname setting, but then I am using Mekedes firmware from my earlier rookie mistake. Guess no harm including that all the time in case there some dependency FYI @andy2111 to update the doc.

Last edited by bmxtreme; Today at 03:11 AM.
Old Today, 05:19 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 152 Posts

Good to see the progress!

Any chance that your phone is running the racechip app and that it is holding the connection to the race chip controller?
Old Today, 05:56 AM
ralphsmit
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought of that, too, so I turned wifi and Bluetooth off on my phone; the head unit was connected via wifi as it needs a connection for Racehip. Will try drag some other Bluetooth devices down to the garage to play with but since everything shows as "no name" you have no idea what it's trying to connect to, could be the neighbour's phone for all I know
Old Today, 07:21 AM
ralphsmit
Advanced

I labeled the original BT "Porsche" and Bluetooth 2 as "SYU-Android," so I can tell them apart more easily. I took my iPad down, and it sees both and can connect to both, so it's headed in the right direction. I can initiate pairing from the head unit with the iPad which, although it says "no name" has a different icon next to it like a computer It does later reflect as iPad which happened with the phone too. The rest is a total lottery with all the "no names" Some connect but give no details on what you connected to, and others need a pairing code but I can't action as I have no idea what the other device is to authorize the pairing code.

Still no luck with the Race Chip XLR though.

iPhone and iPad only show up in the list once they've been connected, before that they are just "noName" too

Porsche is BT1 and SYU-Android is BT2
Old Today, 07:44 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

If you connect to the racechip on your phone can you look at the details of the Bluetooth connection to find a MAC address or some other hardware identifier that you could then use to identify the racechip from the list of nonames? This assumes you can click on them to get more info of course...
Old Today, 09:31 AM
ralphsmit
Advanced

Originally Posted by andy2111
If you connect to the racechip on your phone can you look at the details of the Bluetooth connection to find a MAC address or some other hardware identifier that you could then use to identify the racechip from the list of nonames? This assumes you can click on them to get more info of course...
That is a good suggestion, but i can't see the MAC address or any other identifier
Old Today, 10:01 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

I just had a look on mine to see if I could find anything useful

My unit connects to the new BT chip that is accessed from the new menu in settings - when I click on the active connection this is what I see

How about rebooting the XLR controller box? The manual advises to switch the ignition off and wait 10 minutes before disconnecting it - maybe a long shot but with your phone in airplane mode and a reboot of the controller you might get a clean connection...

Old Today, 10:05 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
LOL, wow, time to get a new battery. Glad there's another version of the app that works! The UX looks different than mine, but heck, as long it tells you what's important 😄. I am due for a battery change as well. Has dropped under 10v one time last week, so just ordered a replacement.
Are you going to use a battery conditioner to keep the car powered up whilst you swap the battery?
Old Today, 10:16 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
Are you going to use a battery conditioner to keep the car powered up whilst you swap the battery?
I don't know if your 911s are the same, but my previous Panamera required coding when installing a new battery, so that the Battery Management System knew that the battery had been swapped out for a new one. Something to do with the way the computer knows how much charge to put into the new battery. Apparently, the car is clever enough to know that the battery needs charging differently as it ages. If you keep the car alive while you swap batteries, this system is defeated, so it may not be a good idea. When I say 'coding', this can be done with my Foxwell (and presumably other domestic coding tools) by going into the BMS settings and telling it you've swapped the battery. God knows how the new Hybrid works, but fortunately I won't need a new (low current) 12v battery in that for a long time, so I'll cross the bridge when I get to it.

The 911s may be different, of course, but it might be checking what Porsche has to say about battery swaps.
Old Today, 10:18 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 212 Posts

^^^^
I just remembered that we swapped the battery in Mrs Zed's 981 Cayman in the 'old school' way. Just pulled out the old and stuck in the new. No coding apparently needed for that car. All that was required after the battery swap was to reset the windows so they close correctly. Everything else worked as normal and there's been no issues. Your 911s may be the same.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1