Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old Today, 04:38 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2111
That's the same unit I ordered
If that's the case, here's an APK for the app. I couldn't get the one in the PlayStore to install for some reason, but you can try first.

Ancel bm300 pro apk

​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
andy2111 (Today)
Old Today, 06:49 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
I think some CHSTEK users have sound from all speakers, including someone who recently installed it in their boxster. Those like me, the rear sound is faint, which I suspect has something to do with the PCM setting prior to removal, I am guessing the Bose surround option needs to be disabled (I've heard this is preferable). Since the sound quality was way better than before, it didn't bother me, plus I had my fader set to the front previously which might also be the problem. Maybe someday, I'll try to swap back the PCM and try things out but there's no motivation to get the rear sound.

Also here is the decoder for Erisin and looks like it's the same as what we get from CHSTEK, but in blue?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msAyd4M
We get sound from the rear speakers in the Cayman, which has non-Bose and Erisin. There is little to no control as such over the rear-speaker sound, but it is there. In a small car with only two seats, we don't consider sound from the rear as important, but others might.

For Bose, it is worth repeating that, prior to removing the PCM, it is recommended to set the PCM to 75% max volume, all faders to their central positions, bass and treble to neutral and the 'surround' mode disabled. The pseudo-surround source is a synthetic form of 'surround sound' - the BOSE amp doesn't have 5 discrete channels AFAIK, so it attempts to create a form of surround sound by phase manipulation of 2 channel sound. Aside from generally sounding awful, if this mode is left enabled, it could have undesirable effects on the sound one hears from an aftermarket unit since the Bose amp may get 'confused' by the signal it is now receiving.

Old Today, 08:29 AM
B1web1
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanx for the reply, I have the Erisin unit enroute but think I would prefer the larger screen of the CHSTEK. Ahhhhrgg analysis paralysis.
Old Today, 09:32 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by B1web1
Thanx for the reply, I have the Erisin unit enroute but think I would prefer the larger screen of the CHSTEK. Ahhhhrgg analysis paralysis.
My wife actually prefers the Erisin because the screen is a bit smaller! There isn't a massive advantage to a slightly larger screen unless it is a widescreen, where the two 'halves' of the screen can be used for two different purposes. When the extra screen real estate is vertical, there isn't all that much advantage IMO. But a big screen can look better to some, and that is sufficient reason to want one. If the Erisin is on its way, you could install it and see how you feel about it. If you decide you prefer the larger screen of the CHSTEK, then you should be able to return the Erisin or swap it out. Personally, I like both units more or less equally, and functionally they are virtually identical.
Old Today, 09:46 AM
B1web1
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

So torn, I spent the last 45 minutes going back in this thread looking for a post where someone mentioned a CSTEK seller who would pre wire the MOST fiber box and applicable SW update as part of the package. Does anyone have that link handy? Or a link to the correct unit for a 981 with Bose. Want to check current pricing to decide.
TIA
Old Today, 09:46 AM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 97 Posts

So I spoke to another user with my same car, 2014 Boxter S with Bose and he has the Erisin unit. He is sure that all speakers in the car produce sound. If I am reading correctly, users with the CHSTEK unit report not having sound in the rear speakers. Can anyone check me to make sure I am understanding correctly that the CHSTEK unit does not provide sound from the rear speakers?

TIA,
Brad
I have a 2014 Cayman S with Bose and I have sound coming from the rear speakers with the CHSTEK unit.
Old Today, 10:05 AM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 97 Posts

So torn, I spent the last 45 minutes going back in this thread looking for a post where someone mentioned a CSTEK seller who would pre wire the MOST fiber box and applicable SW update as part of the package. Does anyone have that link handy? Or a link to the correct unit for a 981 with Bose. Want to check current pricing to decide.
TIA
I ordered the 7862E plus MOST box together from CHSTEK Official store. They came prewired together.
Old Today, 10:14 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 142 Posts

Here's the link to the Chstek official store
CHSTEK Android13 Car Radio Carplay Navigation For Porsche Cayman Boxster 718 911 918 981 997 Auto Stereo Qualcomm Bluetooth WIFI - AliExpress 34

As mentioned the 7862-E or 7862-D are the ones to go for depending on how much storage you need, although there's such a small difference in price you might as well get the E model IMHO.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1