Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 04:45 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by hpapad01
Just PMed Wizard. I was # 4 on his original list. Thank you guys for your search and putting the group together! Much appreciated StealthPilot!
Thanks to everyone for chipping in their thoughts and getting the group buy together.

Let's stay in touch to see how this goes once we all start getting these installed.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:50 PM
weespeed
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still in if there is an Android version. Pm'd wizard. Hope that will be enough to get the group buy going.
The following users liked this post:
2006Z06 (06-25-2021)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:23 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by weespeed
I'm still in if there is an Android version. Pm'd wizard. Hope that will be enough to get the group buy going.
It's already going. We have enough people. everyone can get the group buy rate now.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:13 AM
judd10
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
PM me your email address and I will pass it on. I think we have the critical number so everyone who signs on will get the discount.
Thanks for coordinating the group buy! I am, however, probably going to wait for the wireless version. Good luck and please post your end results, experiences and feedback on the unit.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:51 AM
bob99
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would love to see some videos of the installs, if anyone here is doing their own!
Old 02-11-2018, 01:09 PM
DanishAmerican
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Great thread! I have been looking for options to add CarPlay to my 2014 991.1. Can’t wait to hear from people who is installing this.

A few questions I hope someone can answer:
1) why is there a non-standard Siri button on the screen?
2) do you need to install a dedicated microphone or can you use the built-in microphone from the integrated phone system?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2018, 04:14 PM
gforcealt
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be interested to see where to mount the modules. The NAV-TV install discussions I've seen put the module behind the PCM. I pulled the PCM today, and there's not much space back there. Moreover, if you found a place back there to stuff them, you'll be hard pressed to access the modules again. I found a thread where someone with a Cayenne mounted them to the back of the glove box, but that still didn't seem to make them easy access.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:15 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanishAmerican
Great thread! I have been looking for options to add CarPlay to my 2014 991.1. Can’t wait to hear from people who is installing this.

2) do you need to install a dedicated microphone or can you use the built-in microphone from the integrated phone system?

Thanks
Does require its own mic. The PCM has no functions that support high quality audio and microphone use that can be hijacked, so the only way to make this work is with a second mic.

Siri button looks normal to me. Can you explain further?
Old 02-12-2018, 01:46 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wizard263789
No unfortunately it's only PCM or CDR+ 3.1 or a CDR 3.1 solution from the guys in OZ. I'm not aware of any PCM3.0 solutions at this point.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by amet
are you sure yours is 3.0? mine is 2012.5 991 but shows as PCM 3.1
I know what you mean, but the HW is 3.0. That is why we cannot retrofit the backup camera. Our version does not include a video board, hence I assume the Apple CarPlay retrofit will not work.

Originally Posted by amet
there was never any doubt here.. I knew what it was... question was why he thought his was 3.0
See screenshots below. Albeit it says PCM 3.1, in the details you can see the HW is actually 3.0, but the SW is 3.1
My understanding is that for all practical purposes, this version of PCM is considered 3.0

Old 02-12-2018, 02:19 PM
wizard263789
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RYE
Thank you!

I know what you mean, but the HW is 3.0. That is why we cannot retrofit the backup camera. Our version does not include a video board, hence I assume the Apple CarPlay retrofit will not work.

See screenshots below. Albeit it says PCM 3.1, in the details you can see the HW is actually 3.0, but the SW is 3.1
My understanding is that for all practical purposes, this version of PCM is considered 3.0

For info we have asked the manufacturer previously regarding these 'early' PCM3.1s with software version 3.xx, the manufacturer tells us CarPlay will work with them; we've not tried ourselves mind.

I'd suspect the reversing camera issue is more to do with the software not supporting the switch to the camera when reverse is engaged, as these PCMs do have video input and for non USA regions were sold with a TV tuner option and we have retrofitted a TV tuner to one of them without any issues.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:46 PM
DanishAmerican
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Does require its own mic. The PCM has no functions that support high quality audio and microphone use that can be hijacked, so the only way to make this work is with a second mic.

Siri button looks normal to me. Can you explain further?
I have CarPlay in our Macan, and there is no Siri app. You access Siri by holding down the home button.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:28 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

I have CarPlay in our Macan, and there is no Siri app. You access Siri by holding down the home button.
I saw that. But this product also has the usual home button (the white one at the bottom left of the screen) which works to access Siri. So you have two ways to access Siri. Doesn't seem like a negative to me. Perhaps you can get rid of the Siri icon if it bothers you - on my Mercedes you can delete any non-standard CarPlay apps.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:06 AM
bob99
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks
I think I've figured out the non-standard Siri button.

I currently have a Pioneer head unit in another car, and noticed today that the icon in that space (second from left, lower row) is the "Pioneer" icon that takes you back to the head unit functionality.

I re-watched Nick Murray's Carplay review from his 2017 C4S, which is factory installed by Porsche, and that icon is the one that returns to the PCM.

Since this is a stand-alone implementation of Carplay, and you toggle between Carplay and standard PCM via the long press of the info button, I assume the manufacturer just added a "Siri" button instead, and used the older Siri icon from a previous version of iOS.

Pioneer SPH-DA120 head unit with "Pioneer" button.

Porsche 2017 C4S factory Carplay with "Porsche" button.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:13 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

@wizard263789 Do you think we might be able to get them to turn that Siri button into a Porsche button that exits CarPlay and takes you to maybe the info screen or the radio?
Old 02-14-2018, 03:29 PM
wizard263789
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I think they might change it to a generic 'exit to car system', but as the system fits a number of manufacturers (it's just the internal sub-board thats different for each manufacturer) I suspect they won't make it explicitly Porsche oriented. As it is at the moment any non-carplay button takes you back to the car system, 'source', 'tuner' etc, not that there's a shortage of ways to activate siri; the icon, the white 'home' icon, the pcm 'phone' button....

@wizard263789 Do you think we might be able to get them to turn that Siri button into a Porsche button that exits CarPlay and takes you to maybe the info screen or the radio?

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1