Sponsored by:

First time Porsche owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 02:06 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default First time Porsche owner

After thinking and planning/saving for gts, I walked in to just get some info on the T and walked out after putting an deposit down on Carrera T —> http://www.porsche-code.com/PJJ1AQB7

What won me over was fact I’m never going to use 420 or 450hp on roads legally. My current wagon has 335hp and weighs a 1000 pounds more and I can still get into plenty of trouble in it.

Only reason I considered a S was for RAS. The GTS was all about stripped down sound deadening. Both of which are now on the T. The lightweight windows are nice bonus.

Biggest option I had to pass on was the carbon seats, since wife was surprised how much it was and meant my whole family couldn’t go for ride together. 🤨

PDK - I wanted because it’s faster + let’s my wife drive it - just incase.

Happy to learn at dealership the standard sport mirrors do manually fold back ...

Few questions:

I want the door pulls in red but don’t care for the red pinstriping that comes as part of interior package. I think I read somewhere, the reds pinstripes disappear if I get the heated seat options on the standard 4 way seats? Can anyone confirm this.

How much would it cost roughly to replace the standard black pulls with red ones?

Does anyone know roughly what the cost to “upgrade afterwards” the steel brakes to the 380mm S style discs and red rotors?

pccb are tempting but cost a kidney and seem overkill and pricey.

I’ve been told a few more weeks till my build is locked down... for an late April/ early may delivery.

these next 4 months will be the longest 4 months of my life ... but just in time for summer

Old 01-28-2018, 02:09 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to the club! The T is awesome and you've got a solid spec.

Definitely try 18-ways too. Folks here typically have a clear preference so confirm which seat works for you if you haven't already done so.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:45 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Welcome to the club! The T is awesome and you've got a solid spec.

Thanks.

Definitely try 18-ways too. Folks here typically have a clear preference so confirm which seat works for you if you haven't already done so.
i sat in 18 ways at the dealer - but that seemed to be all they had.

Previously i sat in the carbon seats in a gt3 in a showroom. I’m pretty flexible but getting in/out was surprisingly a lot of effort - too much for everyday use.

Wondering if there’s a “technical sales” at Porsche that can answer the detailed question I have like the pin-stripping? Wish they had left it black or plaid or anything else ... right now I’m leaning toward the standard interior + red seatbelts.

Lots GS to lock down in the next 2 weeks or so...

Old 01-28-2018, 03:31 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ask your dealer. If they don’t have an answer contact Exclusive in Atlanta. But be forewarned that CXX gets pricey quickly.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:50 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,206 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by G99x.y

Funny, I got MT because it's more fun + my wife can't drive it...just in case.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:41 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

After thinking and planning/saving for gts, I walked in to just get some info on the T and walked out after putting an deposit down on Carrera T —> http://www.porsche-code.com/PJJ1AQB7

What won me over was fact I’m never going to use 420 or 450hp on roads legally. My current wagon has 335hp and weighs a 1000 pounds more and I can still get into plenty of trouble in it.

Only reason I considered a S was for RAS. The GTS was all about stripped down sound deadening. Both of which are now on the T. The lightweight windows are nice bonus.

Biggest option I had to pass on was the carbon seats, since wife was surprised how much it was and meant my whole family couldn’t go for ride together. ��

Happy to learn at dealership the standard sport mirrors do manually fold back ...

Few questions:

I want the door pulls in red but don’t care for the red pinstriping that comes as part of interior package. I think I read somewhere, the reds pinstripes disappear if I get the heated seat options on the standard 4 way seats? Can anyone confirm this.

How much would it cost roughly to replace the standard black pulls with red ones?

Does anyone know roughly what the cost to “upgrade afterwards” the steel brakes to the 380mm S style discs and red rotors?

I’ve been told a few more weeks till my build is locked down... for an late April/ early may delivery.

these next 4 months will be the longest 4 months of my life ... but just in time for summer

Hey G99,

You've got a great build. My advice is this - Stop now. One of the advantages of the T is it’s minimalist character, combined with some nice performance options thrown in.

Performance - you’ve added RAS. Combined with PASM, Sport Chrono and the PDK. That’s about all you need, and all you can get.

Interior - Since you’ve picked black, you’re least likely to notice the lack of full leather. It’s going to look great. The four way seats are essentially the eighteen ways without all of the motors. They’re comfortable, lighter and free.

Exterior - The GT Silver and those wheels look great.

Changes - The door pulls. Yes you can change them. They’re on sale at Suncoast for $449.00 and they have multiple colors. Call your local dealers (plural) and negotiate the labour cost. It’s not a big job. Link to Suncoast door pulls attached.

The only item that I’d add to your build is the self dimming mirrors. I think this is a safety and aggravation item. The rear view mirror is manually adjustable. The outside mirrors are not. The car is low, and you’ll spend every night-drive being blinded by the cars and trucks behind you. I wouldn’t buy a car without them. My humble opinion.

Hope this helps. Car looks fantastic. Enjoy !

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...1GTSTRAPS.html

Old 01-28-2018, 04:58 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Biggest option I had to pass on was the carbon seats, since wife was surprised how much it was and meant my whole family couldn’t go for ride together. ��

Few questions:

I would get PCCB's if you don't track. You'll probably spend at least 75% of the cost upgrading the discs/calipers front/rear. The brakes on the non-S were a let down for me as far as pedal feel on the street is concerned, but others have been fine with it. I love my S brakes. There are also probably after market options that are cheaper. I assume you have driven non S and S to compare brakes? New PDK is awesome since 991.1, too.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:20 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Ask your dealer. If they don’t have an answer contact Exclusive in Atlanta. But be forewarned that CXX gets pricey quickly.

what does CXX stand for?
Old 01-28-2018, 06:22 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Originally Posted by guab
I would get PCCB's if you don't track. You'll probably spend at least 75% of the cost upgrading the discs/calipers front/rear. The brakes on the non-S were a let down for me as far as pedal feel on the street is concerned, but others have been fine with it. I love my S brakes. There are also probably after market options that are cheaper. I assume you have driven non S and S to compare brakes? New PDK is awesome since 991.1, too.

Thanks- what’s holding me back is not the price of entry for pccb but the story of replacement costs!

i think i’ll see how it goes and upgrade to S brakes if and when the standard T just won’t cut it.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:25 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Since the plan is to hang to this T for a looong time - what recommendations are there on the extended warranty?
Old 01-28-2018, 06:27 PM
RON1X
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what it stands for but its basically anything beyond the option list, i.e. custom altered or changed to your specification. Anything can be done to your liking, but it gets $$$. Gorgeous build, I like the minimal nature of the T, and the red seat belts are going to look so good as a pop of color.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:34 PM
G99x.y
Pro

@Bennedict14 - Agree on glare issues, was thinking of just getting the side view mirrors tinted - cheaper, no added weight for motors for the mirrors, .....
Old 01-28-2018, 06:45 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what does CXX stand for?
Its all the special request stuff. If you order off-the-menu, or more accurately, off the secret menu Sometimes it's decals, sometimes its special materials for interior, special requests that Porsche is willing to entertain. Sometimes they are reasonably(ish!) priced, sometimes you can tell they quote you a price that means they don't really want to do it, but it's your money, so...
Old 01-28-2018, 08:18 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
Changes - The door pulls. Yes you can change them. They’re on sale at Suncoast for $449.00 and they have multiple colors. Call your local dealers (plural) and negotiate the labour cost. It’s not a big job. Link to Suncoast door pulls attached.
Save yourself $440 and DIY........order the strap from strap works and have fun..........Phil
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9159...ap-change.html
Old 01-28-2018, 09:23 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Originally Posted by Phil T
Save yourself $440 and DIY........order the strap from strap works and have fun..........Phil
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9159...ap-change.html

agreed. I’ll start with passenger side. If it doesn’t work I can always go back to suncoast.

Quick Reply: First time Porsche owner