Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time Porsche owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 09:49 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

What do I tell/ask my SA to start the secret order process? He seems to know very little about the car.

eg does the PDK still have the shorter drive ratio they mention? Or is that lost, like the diff, when you move to pdk?
Old 01-28-2018, 10:08 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by G99x.y
What do I tell/ask my SA to start the secret order process? He seems to know very little about the car.

eg does the PDK still have the shorter drive ratio they mention? Or is that lost, like the diff, when you move to pdk?
Spend some time researching here on RL to see what you would actually want from the "secret" list of CXX options- i think there is a thread called "guide to CXX" or special requests or something like that. If your SA sucks, just start talking to another one- like casually, and just see who knows about it at your dealership. Most SA's do not need to know a ton of technical details- honestly, that's what the internet is for. Their job is to do paperwork and take heat from you when things go wrong.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:08 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14

Hey G99,

You've got a great build. My advice is this - Stop now. One of the advantages of the T is it’s minimalist character, combined with some nice performance options thrown in.

Performance - you’ve added RAS. Combined with PASM, Sport Chrono and the PDK. That’s about all you need, and all you can get.
Wise words but I'd take it one step further for a minimalist drivers car and scrap the PKD and RAS. Why have the car drive for you? I have a 991.2 GTS coupe with SPASM, MT and no RAS and it is plenty agile and a blast to drive. RAS only kicks in below 31 mph for turn in, hardly a game changer unless you are auto crossing. And the car is plenty stable at high speeds. IMHO. Minority opinion, I know.

PS I also have GT Silver with black leather interior and red belts. Its a good combination, but the GT silver is a classy / quiet color, almost subdued, be sure that is what you want.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:22 PM
G99x.y
Pro

One more question - does the Mode **** control do everything it does on the S model? Does the suspension change on the T at all? Or is the suspension only have one firmness setting?

Does it still have the button you push that gives you 30 seconds of everything turned up to 11?
Old 01-29-2018, 09:29 AM
G99x.y
Pro

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
Wise words but I'd take it one step further for a minimalist drivers car and scrap the PKD and RAS. Why have the car drive for you? I have a 991.2 GTS coupe with SPASM, MT and no RAS and it is plenty agile and a blast to drive. RAS only kicks in below 31 mph for turn in, hardly a game changer unless you are auto crossing. And the car is plenty stable at high speeds. IMHO. Minority opinion, I know.

PS I also have GT Silver with black leather interior and red belts. Its a good combination, but the GT silver is a classy / quiet color, almost subdued, be sure that is what you want.

BlueNorther -

PDK is a peice of tech i grew watching in formula 1. Always dreamed one day i'd be able to use flappy paddles. Plus in daily bumper to bumper crawling traffic a manual gets tired fast. I learned that the hard way.

Without RAS.. i might as well get a base Carrera.

Silver is definitely the color i want. I purposely went with dark grey for my winter car knowing Id get this a 911 silver - it highlights all the curves and lines of the car best. The other options either (yellow or red or white) two loud for daily driving or (black) mute the shape of the 911 too much. I would seriously consider the Chalk ... oh well.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:51 AM
G99x.y
Pro

Originally Posted by tse
Funny, I got MT because it's more fun + my wife can't drive it...just in case.
Nice .... I'd be on the divorce advice blogs if i tried that ...
Old 01-29-2018, 03:28 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,286 Likes on 473 Posts

Hi G99.

Congrats on the T order!

I have one on order too! My CP08 date is currently quoted as 20th March, so am hoping for an early April UK delivery.

Your T in GT Silver with PDK looks very classy, cool and grown up compared to my build.

I've gone in a different direction with Racing Yellow, 7MT, the Sport Chrono clock and the Carrera T interior pack with yellow highlights!

But life would be boring if we all made the same choices!
Old 01-29-2018, 03:35 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
...I'd take it one step further for a minimalist drivers car and scrap the PKD and RAS. Why have the car drive for you? I have a 991.2 GTS coupe with SPASM, MT and no RAS and it is plenty agile and a blast to drive. RAS only kicks in below 31 mph for turn in, hardly a game changer unless you are auto crossing. And the car is plenty stable at high speeds. IMHO. Minority opinion, I know.
I hope you're right, as my T build is also SPASM, 7MT and no RAS!
Old 01-29-2018, 04:10 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
Hi G99.

Congrats on the T order!

I have one on order too! My CP08 date is currently quoted as 20th March, so am hoping for an early April UK delivery.

Your T in GT Silver with PDK looks very classy, cool and grown up compared to my build.

I've gone in a different direction with Racing Yellow, 7MT, the Sport Chrono clock and the Carrera T interior pack with yellow highlights!

But life would be boring if we all made the same choices!

I think you just described my single life/bachelor build
Old 01-29-2018, 04:13 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Hmmm - well, I am divorced...
Old 01-29-2018, 04:16 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Found out from a freind the PDK doesn't have PTV. !!!

How much of a big deal is this? .... want this to be the best cornering car i ever had ... losing the rear diff was hard but now I'm wondering if this is too much marketing
Old 01-30-2018, 12:36 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks- what’s holding me back is not the price of entry for pccb but the story of replacement costs!

i think i’ll see how it goes and upgrade to S brakes if and when the standard T just won’t cut it.
If you'd prefer ceramics but don't prefer the replacement costs, the solution for the GT cars (possibly upcoming for the T) is Surface Transforms. They make carbon ceramic rotors that are half the price of PCCB replacements but are safely refurbishable up to 4-5 times for only $2k per refurbishment of the whole set. Check out our website page for more details : )
Old 01-30-2018, 05:37 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks- what’s holding me back is not the price of entry for pccb but the story of replacement costs!

i think i’ll see how it goes and upgrade to S brakes if and when the standard T just won’t cut it.

If that is the case then go for PCCB's, they are a life of the car part. With just two exceptions. The first is if you are going to track the car hard and a lot. Odds are you could do a few track days a year for a very long time (and autocross all you want for like forever) and the PCCB's will be fine. Especially if when going to the track you are careful to always run with plenty of pad. The second is if you ding one. But as long as you are careful with that and not a track rat you can expect to never need another set of PCCB's.
Everyone grouses about the T not having S brakes when really the brakes are already far more than you will ever need or be able to use on the street. Stopping distances for all 3 are virtually the same. The real differences are in heat dissipation you will never even be aware of unless you are on the track, and brake pedal feel you will notice every time you so much as touch the brake pedal. Oh, and when it comes time to clean the wheels. Oh, and every time the car is in motion, and you are aware of the improved steering feel and lithe responsiveness of a car with 12lbs less unsprung weight per wheel.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:26 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Originally Posted by chuck911
If that is the case then go for PCCB's, they are a life of the car part. With just two exceptions. The first is if you are going to track the car hard and a lot. Odds are you could do a few track days a year for a very long time (and autocross all you want for like forever) and the PCCB's will be fine. Especially if when going to the track you are careful to always run with plenty of pad. The second is if you ding one. But as long as you are careful with that and not a track rat you can expect to never need another set of PCCB's.
Everyone grouses about the T not having S brakes when really the brakes are already far more than you will ever need or be able to use on the street. Stopping distances for all 3 are virtually the same. The real differences are in heat dissipation you will never even be aware of unless you are on the track, and brake pedal feel you will notice every time you so much as touch the brake pedal. Oh, and when it comes time to clean the wheels. Oh, and every time the car is in motion, and you are aware of the improved steering feel and lithe responsiveness of a car with 12lbs less unsprung weight per wheel.

If this is true ... "Stopping distances for all 3 are virtually the same." ... i don't care then. At this point Im embarrassed to say i like the larger disc and yellow...
Old 01-31-2018, 07:27 PM
G99x.y
Pro

How needed are heated seats? I’m not going to drive this at winter time.

Quick Reply: First time Porsche owner