Sponsored by:

M4 to 991.2 Base Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:50 PM
tez2013
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default M4 to 991.2 Base Carrera?

Would like to hear from folks that have made the switch, or experienced both.

Currently in a FBO 340i and considering these two as future candidates. Car would be a daily driver, and would not be taken to the track (already have a track car), so please keep that in mind for perspective.

Typical use case would be ~ 30 miles a day with a mix of back roads, highway and city traffic. I'm assuming both would cope reasonably well with winter driving (given snow tires). I'm specifically looking for rear-wheel drive for a more lively driving experience. Which one would ride more comfortably - I've read conflicting opinions on this. Not too worried about storage space... more interested in driving dynamics / fun to drive factor at less than jail time speeds.

Posted a similar thread on the M forums, but would like to get thoughts on this side of the fence as well.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:26 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

The base 911 is based on a Porsche. The M4 is based on a 320 with more HP and better shocks. The Porsche quality, engineering and experience is a whole other level above BMW. Btw, I daily drive a BMW 5 series M sport and have a 911 C2S as my fun car.

Curious to see the BMW replies. Care to give us a link?
Old 01-17-2018, 10:40 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1457509
Old 01-17-2018, 10:56 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Yes. Do it and don't look back.

Have driven current M3/M4, and on track. Not a great car, as some previous M products have been. Meanwhile, the 991.2 base Carrera 7MT is one of the best Porsches of the last 20 years full stop. In terms of driving fun and excellence at what it's supposed to be, it's up there with 987.2 Boxster Spyder, 997 Carrera GTS, 997 RS 4.0, and current GT3—heady company to be sure. Just happens to be hidden by an "ordinary" badge, if any car wearing "911" and "Carrera" can be considered ordinary. Some say it's too quiet, but I don't find that to be the case. After that, the accepted criticisms are few...
Old 01-17-2018, 11:02 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I love BMW and have had two E92 M3s and currently have an F85 X5M, but if there aren't any practical reasons for you to pick the BMW over the Porsche I would pick the Porsche every day of the week. It will feel lighter, nimbler, more engaging, and it will be much more fun and special than the BMW. You really can't go wrong with any level of 911.

I noticed in the other thread that you have kids. I also have kids and they fit fine in the back. They love riding in the Porsche.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:17 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

While I don't really love either of them, and while I think the M4 is one of the best looking sedan-based coupes out there, it's far from any 911 if you ask me. To live with or to drive through backroads, I would go base .2 Carrera all day. Although I admit, the test drive in the M4 was a much more fun experience (a better "quick fling" if you're not going through twisty roads). It's kind of a give and take in that regard. While my main complaint toward the .2 is that it's too refined, filtered and muted for my tastes (I'm too new to the 911-ownership game, so I crave getting that element of gruffness that made it famous into my system), the M4 also is very filtered and muted (and clumsy) compared to previous M3's. And while I don't love the sound of either option, and while the M4 probably sounds louder.. the sound it makes is highly offensive. Odd, as the N55 (that you have) I find sounds very good. While the S55 (M4) sounds like literal crap.

The 911 is an entirely different level of car.

The M4 is an absolute mess of a car in terms of driving dynamics. It's all over the place. Not a scalpel, but a hammer that should've been a scalpel. It is a turbo and it FEELS like a turbo. If you like to get your car sideways, feel the rush of laggy turbo-torque and just have brutal tire roasting sessions, then that's the car for you. The 991.2 base is extremely balanced, doesn't feel like a brutally torquey turbo, doesn't feel like a high revving N/A, but kind of works its way into the middle to feel a bit of both, but less than the extremes of both, to deliver a package that'll obliterate the M4 around a track or curves. If you're like me, it may not feel as pronounced in character when you drive it, compared to cars that unabashedly deliver a more extreme spectrum of a certain character. Sort of like the M4 (which again, itself feels mundane in every way but torque compared to previous M3's). If you have access to windy roads, the 911's performance, chassis, actual sports car nature, and handling will be vastly more engaging, sporty and fun.

But why are we telling you? You need to drive them both.

Long story short. I'd say 911, undoubtedly. But I admit, after my *personal* experience driving a base .2 C2, I did have to convince myself into the pro-911 side while writing this more than I would've liked. But that's me, and we all get tickled differently.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:42 AM
Lawsofpower
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 911 base is based off a 911. The M4 is based off of the 4 series a la, a 3 series derivative. Please, don’t undermine the engineering of the M division. The DNA of the Ms are fundamentally different than non-M BMWs. The performance is noteworthy and respected but the mission statement of the two. companies are entirely different.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:42 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Currently I am ready to jump from an M2 to a 991.2 GTS.

M2 is the best fun to drive car. Fast, small and easy for fun to drive rides.

I consider 911 a complete different car as the experience from rear engine is totally different that any front engine car.

I believe even the basic 991.2 is one of the best cars anyone can buy today.
I was considering the option of Carrera T instead of GTS but GTS click all my requirements for a future long term relationship.

Enjoy the selection period and let us know your thoughts.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:55 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought a new 2015 M3 but sold it after only 9 months. I was expecting a practical sports car experience, but it shared a garage with my S2000 so it ended up feeling like a wallowing boat every time I drove it. They're just too big now, so while it had plenty of power but definitely lacked that "fun to drive factor at less than jail time speeds". The M4 is the same size, so the experience would be similar. I test drove the M2 and it was definitely more fun, but the compromise of non-sports car platform was still readily apparent to me. The 911 is 100% fun to drive and a big factor in me ordering the 911 T over an S is because it's more fun pushing a less powerful car harder than reigning in a more powerful car.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:20 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

My last BMW's were 08 anf 11 M3's . the 11 had competition package . They got replaced for two Macan Turbos and now a macan GTS. My 911 cars are a completely separate experience and in a totally different stratosphere . I actually feel like the Macan is more comparable as it's much like a raised M3 (providing more utility ), AWD and height gave it the edge in for bad weather (was my go to car in hurricane Irma) yet they have quite similar driving characteristics . The Macan has a bit more weight and understeer but it's a freaking SUV . Side by side they look nearly the same size (M4 and Macan).

In contrast the 911 is off the charts more of a precision car . For starters the rear engine layout makes the car feel like it's being pushed and the front wheels simply steer . many M3 owners initially facing an adjustment from the front engine . Since I owned both simultaneously it was like being fluent in two languages . Both come naturally as opposed to having to learn one coming from the other. The clutch and gearbox is again world class in the Porsche . this is the case with both the manual and the PDK . Botrh my M3's were manual and the gearbox was not only ill positioned but spaced sloppy. The new car is improved but so is the Porsche and it was fantastic even before the recent tweaks.

Service costs more though . BMW is "free" (included in the purchase price) . So do rear tires. Every detail of the Porsche is more refined .. I would not even compare it to a 911 . I'd compare it more to a Macan and the Macan would get my vote. That's how far above the M cars the 911 is to me.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:36 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 404 Posts

Very different cars so hard to compare them. Completely different feel. M4 is more practical I suppose if you need the rear seats. I can't imagine wanting to drive the M4 on a twisty and tight back road.
Corvette Grand Sport versus 911 may make some sense if one can get past Chevy quality.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:46 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 607 Posts

I owned an F80 M3 for a year. It was a very nice and capable car but is no 911
also, I would not suggest snow driving in it . I tried with good snow tires. The car has a lot of torque and always felt lose in the back,I never driven 911 in snow so I can't comment on that
Old 01-18-2018, 09:49 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
Currently I am ready to jump from an M2 to a 991.2 GTS.

M2 is the best fun to drive car. Fast, small and easy for fun to drive rides.
I'm trading an M2 on a 991.2 C2S on Saturday. I loved the M2. I'd keep it because, while fair, the trade price isn't all that much money but I don't need it any more. With the C2S in the garage the M2 is just a lesser option on every dimension. I would say that, on a budget, the M2 is a fantastic street/occasional track option. (note: to get track performance out of it for sure requires suspension mods which weren't expensive). I suspect that after a week in the C2S the M2 will be forgotten.

To the OP - I've owned probably ten BMWs (inc. 1997 M3 and the 2017 M2) and at least twice that in Porsches, unless I was looking for a DD sedan (I had a 535i w/ Dinan chip and loved that car) in every case the Porsche products have been superior. If you can afford a base 911, I'd buy it.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:02 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawsofpower
The 911 base is based off a 911. The M4 is based off of the 4 series a la, a 3 series derivative. Please, don’t undermine the engineering of the M division. The DNA of the Ms are fundamentally different than non-M BMWs. The performance is noteworthy and respected but the mission statement of the two. companies are entirely different.
While still true, much, much less so than before. Gone are the days of vivacious M’s with bespoke high revving engines. The S55 is a modified N55, bigger turbos thrown on it, and a chassis that can’t keep up.

Ever driven an F10 M5? Great luxury car, feels how you would’ve expected a 550i to feel like if they turned up the boost.

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
.... because it's more fun pushing a less powerful car harder than reigning in a more powerful car.
Truer words haven’t been spoken.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:05 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stout
Yes. Do it and don't look back.

Have driven current M3/M4, and on track. Not a great car, as some previous M products have been. Meanwhile, the 991.2 base Carrera 7MT is one of the best Porsches of the last 20 years full stop. In terms of driving fun and excellence at what it's supposed to be, it's up there with 987.2 Boxster Spyder, 997 Carrera GTS, 997 RS 4.0, and current GT3—heady company to be sure. Just happens to be hidden by an "ordinary" badge, if any car wearing "911" and "Carrera" can be considered ordinary. Some say it's too quiet, but I don't find that to be the case. After that, the accepted criticisms are few...
This is spot on .............

Quick Reply: M4 to 991.2 Base Carrera?