Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M4 to 991.2 Base Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 04:10 PM
tez2013
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, you guys have definitely surpassed the Bimmer forum in terms of participation lol.

Appreciate all the insightful feedback as well as the clever analogies which had me cracking up.

Not sure I made it clear, but I would be looking for a PDK. My last daily driver of 3 years was a manual. Living in a hilly area, sitting in traffic gets old fast.

Someone on the other board also suggested I explore 997.1TT as a potential option. Don't know much about that platform, but seems that cost would be in line with 991.2 Base... will have to do some research on that.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:13 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tez2013
Well, you guys have definitely surpassed the Bimmer forum in terms of participation lol.

Appreciate all the insightful feedback as well as the clever analogies which had me cracking up.

Not sure I made it clear, but I would be looking for a PDK. My last daily driver of 3 years was a manual. Living in a hilly area, sitting in traffic gets old fast.

Someone on the other board also suggested I explore 997.1TT as a potential option. Don't know much about that platform, but seems that cost would be in line with 991.2 Base... will have to do some research on that.
The 997.1TT is a great car and I loved owning it, but the 991 is just so much better. You should try both before you search for a car. Also keep in mind the 997.1TT doesn't come with a PDK, only manual or automatic. I wouldn't recommend getting the automatic. The manual is fine, but if it's not what you're looking for then that may not be the car for you.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:14 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

the 997.1TT is a fantastic car. Much more raw and very mod friendly. However - for a daily, I'd recommend the 991.2, also if you're set on a PDK, the tiptronic in the 997.1 sucked.

Some advice that nobody[surprisingly] stated.... GO DRIVE your options back to back Let that decide for you. We all have opinions based on our personal wants - yours are likely weighted differently even if similar.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:16 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
People who spend 300K on a sports car care. Porsche needs these kinds of accolades to sell the GT2; most of which will neve even see 5K miles in their lifetime.

Because it's a Porsche it has a certain build quality, driver feel and level of engineering - across any model or trim the brand offers. This is consistently a higher level when comparing the cheapest Porsche to the most expensive BMW. So yes, I am a Porsche *****. Everything they make feel and performs as if it was made well. Because it is a Porsche, it IS better than a BMW - because of the reasons I stated and also status if any cares; i don't but many do.

IMO - a base 911 is more fun to drive on the street than a modern 488 which is basically a street legal race car. An M4 is less fun to drive on the street than a base 911 or any Porsche 2 door for that matter. So.... I still prefer the 911/porsche > 488. The viper was a brilliant sports car. The M4 isn't brilliant for anything.

FOR ME, I have a cab because I'm not a hardcore track junky. I want a really solid all around sports car that I can drive anywhere, anytime and fit luggage to take my wife for the weekend or just go out to dinner in. The sole competitor for this is a Lotus but they don't offer a cab. Again, for me and the majority of 911 owners, Porsche is the sole option in the market for this segment.

Sorry that you think the M4 is a nirvana but there is much data to support it has drifted far from the genius that was a 2002, E30, E36 and E46 M car.
Totally agreed. I even traded "down" from a Lamborghini Huracan to a GTS cab because you're right, it's a much more fun car. Easier to enjoy in every way, and it just feels like a quality car throughout unlike most of its competitors even at higher price levels. There isn't really much else I would rather have than a 911.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:48 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche always put engineering/quality before all else that's why they are so successful. Jeep is the only company that has to be like Porsche in a way. If Jeep fails at what they do they have nothing else to cover the bottom line. One bad motor or bad review the party is over for Jeep. Porsche did what they always do. They engineered a 4 inch longer, wider, heavier car into a the next generation base car with more power/handling just as LIGHT as the 997's etc....THAT'S what the other car makers fail to do at time and time again.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:12 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
I bought a new 2015 M3 but sold it after only 9 months. I was expecting a practical sports car experience, but it shared a garage with my S2000 so it ended up feeling like a wallowing boat every time I drove it.
Very unfair to put them in a garage side by side and judge them by which one would you take for a ride lol. For hi-rev NA lovers s2000 would be a choice every day of the week. I am very upset Honda (as BMW too) dropped the ball producing real sports car.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:29 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Tez, the only good reason to go with the TT Tip is if you're looking to go big power for straight line runs since the Tip I believe is rated to withstand more power than the PDK. Otherwise, look to the 997.2TT PDK since the .2 has a much, much better stock suspension and there are no concerns of having to address some of the known coolant or oil leak precautionary measures. Also, the 997.2 has the same general interior/infotainment design as the 991.1 (which are both outdated anyway but still a lot better than the 997.1).
Old 01-18-2018, 06:52 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Lol@ base 911 being "ordinary" comments. Lets address that / curb appeal for a minute.

At end of the day, to 90% of the population who are not car geeks on car forums, a M car is just another BMW with some cool bumpers (taste may vary), a porsche is a porsche, no matter how "ordinary".
Old 01-18-2018, 06:54 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666
Lol@ base 911 being "ordinary" comments. Lets address that / curb appeal for a minute.

At end of the day, to 90% of the population who are not car geeks on car forums, a M car is just another BMW with some cool bumpers (taste may vary), a porsche is a porsche, no matter how "ordinary".
exactly - even a 20K used boxster...
Old 01-18-2018, 07:31 PM
Zetta
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 100 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Jzips
I was given an M4 to drive for a week. Good car, but its sportiness felt “bolted on”. The car feels like a sedan in drag. And that ersatz exhaust... The car is just constantly farting.

A 911 on the other hand, is not in drag. A base 991.2 is like the hottest chick in your high school. Not the hottest chick in the world, but the kind dreams are made of. A 991.2 S is like the hottest chick in your college—she would’ve been the hottest chick out of 20 high schools. Not essential to have the S, but offers just a little more. A little more dreamy. The Turbo is like a super hot 30 something trophy wife with fake **** wearing lots of jewelry. On the arm of an older guy in $400 Prada sneakers and white jeans. She looks expensive and isn’t quite as pure. The GT3 is like a 20 year old Eastern Eurpean model. Skinny, tight. Lusty as all hell on the runway. Not that easy to live with every day.

you made my day, thank you
Old 01-18-2018, 08:51 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,203 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera2RS
PS I loved my modded (track suspension , Dunlop Formula R's) E30 M3 Cecotto !
As I loved my Dinan tuned 1M, should have kept it...
Old 01-18-2018, 08:55 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawsofpower

perhaps but isn’t the 991.2 just a 991.1 with turbos attached to it? The current M3/M4 are light-years better than their predecessors. I had an e92 and currently have an F80. Don’t let nostalgia confuse you as to how great the current Ms are. Most of what you’ve highlighted about past models are trivial at best. Those characteristics offer no real advantage today. The current model is faster, more reliable, better mpg and has far more utility.
Not in the least. The .1’s are larger motors, higher compression, very slightly higher redlines (which may be the same for the S55>N55 to be fair) and one has a turbo and one doesn’t (while both 55’s have FI) which in itself is a stark difference. I don’t think the .1>.2 motors are technically in common at all. The S55 from what I understand takes and then works on the N55.

Yes, it does everything better on paper and all that than the E92. And I haven’t owned both like you have, so you know what you like and where one excels far better than I do. But I can say how they both made me feel when I did drive them. Much like my personal preference to the .1 over the .2 which also touts all kinds of technical superiorties over said .1, I just don’t find the M4 to emit the soul, “specialness” and character that the previous, slower, less technically capable and refined M3’s did.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:28 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

I'd buy an E92 M3 (preferably an LRP example) or a 991.1 Carrera.
Both the new M3/4 and .2 911 aren't singing the right tunes to stir my soul...
YMMV and good luck...
Old 01-18-2018, 09:36 PM
tez2013
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So, below is a very interesting take on this comparison (from the other board), indicating that the M car would actually be more fun on the street. My interpretation of the comment being that porsche is so good and efficient that it almost lacks drama / entertainment factor (in comparison to the M car) in day to day driving situations.

Anyone care to agree / disagree with this view?

P.S. Come spring time, I'll do my best to align some test drives... that is a given. In the interim, looking to benefit from others' perspectives and experiences.

Originally Posted by BIGW0RM
I have a PDK 17 CS2 911 and a DCT 17 F80 M3.

I love my porsche for everything it is, but as a DD, it is not practical at all. It gets old quick.

While mine is very fast, the porsche just GOES where you point it. Its not a slide sideway, or burn out type of car at all. I have WAY more fun in my M3. The Porsche is great for my weekend fun or dinner dates with the wife.

My porsche replaced my M4. My F80 M3 somewhat replaced my Porsche as my DD and I couldnt be happier.

But my Porsche is still my favorite overall. Just not for my daily.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:43 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Anyone who thinks an M4 is a comfy daily driver is crazy. Truly a confused and non-inspiring package for all the reasons mentioned. It's also boomy on expansion joints and not nearly as well damped. Overall a half-**ed package by BMW M at that price point even considering it's goals are more GT than sports car. I liked the look of the car (until you realize how big it is - tall and long) the heads-up package, and the DCT was a much better "manual" experience than a PDK IMO.

991.1 base beats it around a track, not because of power but because it's an intelligently engineered package. and the .2 is more refined in many ways and faster. Go drive it no comparison.

Last edited by Chris C.; 01-18-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: M4 to 991.2 Base Carrera?