Sponsored by:

M4 to 991.2 Base Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 02:06 PM
Lawsofpower
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

While still true, much, much less so than before. Gone are the days of vivacious M’s with bespoke high revving engines. The S55 is a modified N55, bigger turbos thrown on it, and a chassis that can’t keep up.

Ever driven an F10 M5? Great luxury car, feels how you would’ve expected a 550i to feel like if they turned up the boost.

Truer words haven’t been spoken.
perhaps but isn’t the 991.2 just a 991.1 with turbos attached to it? The current M3/M4 are light-years better than their predecessors. I had an e92 and currently have an F80. Don’t let nostalgia confuse you as to how great the current Ms are. Most of what you’ve highlighted about past models are trivial at best. Those characteristics offer no real advantage today. The current model is faster, more reliable, better mpg and has far more utility.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:07 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawsofpower

perhaps but isn’t the 991.2 just a 991.1 with turbos attached to it? The current M3/M4 are light-years better than their predecessors. I had an e92 and currently have an F80. Don’t let nostalgia confuse you as to how great the current Ms are. Most of what you’ve highlighted about past models are trivial at best. Those characteristics offer no real advantage today. The current model is faster, more reliable, better mpg and has far more utility.
oh no you didn't
Old 01-18-2018, 02:18 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Jzips
I was given an M4 to drive for a week. Good car, but its sportiness felt “bolted on”. The car feels like a sedan in drag. And that ersatz exhaust... The car is just constantly farting.

A 911 on the other hand, is not in drag. A base 991.2 is like the hottest chick in your high school. Not the hottest chick in the world, but the kind dreams are made of. A 991.2 S is like the hottest chick in your college—she would’ve been the hottest chick out of 20 high schools. Not essential to have the S, but offers just a little more. A little more dreamy. The Turbo is like a super hot 30 something trophy wife with fake **** wearing lots of jewelry. On the arm of an older guy in $400 Prada sneakers and white jeans. She looks expensive and isn’t quite as pure. The GT3 is like a 20 year old Eastern Eurpean model. Skinny, tight. Lusty as all hell on the runway. Not that easy to live with every day.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:20 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was given an M4 to drive for a week. Good car, but its sportiness felt “bolted on”. The car feels like a sedan in drag. And that ersatz exhaust... The car is just constantly farting.

A 911 on the other hand, is not in drag. A base 991.2 is like the hottest chick in your high school. Not the hottest chick in the world, but the kind dreams are made of. A 991.2 S is like the hottest chick in your college—she would’ve been the hottest chick out of 20 high schools. Not essential to have the S, but offers just a little more. A little more dreamy. The Turbo is like a super hot 30 something trophy wife with fake **** wearing lots of jewelry. On the arm of an older guy in $400 Prada sneakers and white jeans. She looks expensive and isn’t quite as pure. The GT3 is like a 20 year old Eastern Eurpean model. Skinny, tight. Lusty as all hell on the runway. Not that easy to live with every day.
That explains why I need every 911 model.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by RRDnA
^^^Have you driven a current M4? Its pretty ordinary, BMW have gone through 3 or 4 iterations before getting it close to being good or perhaps the better words would be "on par" e.g CS

The base Carrera has a very responsive engine and a really nice blend of torque/power profile - handles well too. One is a practical purpose built sports car and one isn't.
I have, not as special as the earlier M cars, but its entirely liveable, fun enough to drive, and really good looking. This is a street car, so ultimate performance is meaningless.

One is a purpose built Grand Touring coupe, the other is a sporty coupe derived from a standard coupe platform, which has resulted in many excellent cars.

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Porsche bread and butter has always been >100K cars. You're getting the same engineering as a 200K car.

BMW's bread and butter is ~40K Cars. The M is the same engineering that goes into 30K cars with the volume **** turned up a little.
?
Huh? Are you bipolar? A GT3 RS is a $200k car...a tarted up version of a $92k car. The M4 is a tarted up version of a $40k car. At least be consistent. As to the price argument, there are many very expensive cars that are total crap to drive, so its pointless.

The carerra doesn't have to look aggressive. Wanna know why? It looks like a Porsche - that is enough and it has nothing to prove to anyone. The M4 was designed for the generation that was blowing up their Skunk2 or Spoon B16B & B18C Vtecs when "Fast and Furious" came out and have started to make a little more money.

The M4 rear seats are hardly more practical than a 991. Also the frunk in the 991 is about the same size as the trunk in the M4.
I know you are a porsche brand *****, so just it being a porsche is enough for you. A base 991 is just so boring. Its so ordinary. It has nothing interesting about it. Its capable, sure. But thats about it. If the M4 is for the F&F crowd, a 991 is for old chubby accountants. Stereotypes are fun.

The rear seats are bigger and easier to access. In addition, the rear seats fold down, making carrying larger and longer items a non issue. Not sure about frunk/trunk dimensions, but in my experience, the M4 trunk is more useable.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:37 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I have, not as special as the earlier M cars, but its entirely liveable, fun enough to drive, and really good looking. This is a street car, so ultimate performance is meaningless.

One is a purpose built Grand Touring coupe, the other is a sporty coupe derived from a standard coupe platform, which has resulted in many excellent cars.

Huh? Are you bipolar? A GT3 RS is a $200k car...a tarted up version of a $92k car. The M4 is a tarted up version of a $40k car. At least be consistent. As to the price argument, there are many very expensive cars that are total crap to drive, so its pointless.

I know you are a porsche brand *****, so just it being a porsche is enough for you. A base 991 is just so boring. Its so ordinary. It has nothing interesting about it. Its capable, sure. But thats about it. If the M4 is for the F&F crowd, a 991 is for old chubby accountants. Stereotypes are fun.

The rear seats are bigger and easier to access. In addition, the rear seats fold down, making carrying larger and longer items a non issue. Not sure about frunk/trunk dimensions, but in my experience, the M4 trunk is more useable.
Not a Porsche ***** - we have BMW and Merc in our home too... love Jags and many other cars but I think the new M's are all junk.

Porsche... so the GT2 set a ring lap record - against Million dollar cars. Porsche is compared to the likes of Ferrari, Lambo, etc for performance. M's are compared to mustangs and Maros. I LOVE M's up to mid 2000's. My M Roadsters Z3 body were some of my favorite cars I've owned. The new ones again ride like crap, don't handle and don't stop well. They have a stupid right pedal that is on or off with nothing in between completely designed to make it FEEL like a fast muscle car that the middle class buys for perceived status. I just don't like contemporary M cars for these reasons.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:10 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a 650ix BMW and I test drove almost all of the new 3's, 4's 5's series cars. I don't think BMW wants to do the 'best sports car thing' like Porsche and others try to. BMW seems to make cars 30% of all the cars they compete with but never best at any of the categories. No one could say 'but BMW is best at this!' They are not.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:23 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by oceancarrera
I own a 650ix BMW and I test drove almost all of the new 3's, 4's 5's series cars. I don't think BMW wants to do the 'best sports car thing' like Porsche and others try to. BMW seems to make cars 30% of all the cars they compete with but never best at any of the categories. No one could say 'but BMW is best at this!' They are not.
Not like they used to.

The 650 is a fantastic car for what it is. Try to review it as a sports car and it comes out like an awful car. Just like that new lexus LC - comparing it to a sports car and it seems bad. Comparing it to a GT cruiser and its a great car.

IMHO the 440 is a better car than the M4. It is a nice sporty coupe. The M4 is just a wannabe muscle car with honda bodykit parts with a BMW badge.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:41 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

IMHO the 440 is a better car than the M4. It is a nice sporty coupe. The M4 is just a wannabe muscle car with honda bodykit parts with a BMW badge.
I had a 440 as a loaner, and is it just me or does it seem kind of.. cheap? I understand loaner cars aren't the best equipped, but all the materials felt really cheap compared to my X5M. Obviously the seats weren't real leather, which I expected. What I didn't expect was everything else. The buttons felt cheap, the iDrive wheel felt cheap and flimsy, the turn/windshield wiper stalks felt cheap, the screen looked cheap. Is that how the 3/4 series cars are now, or are loaner cars made with bargain basement materials? My E92 M3s and X5M felt much higher quality everywhere.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

Not a Porsche ***** - we have BMW and Merc in our home too... love Jags and many other cars but I think the new M's are all junk.

Porsche... so the GT2 set a ring lap record - against Million dollar cars. Porsche is compared to the likes of Ferrari, Lambo, etc for performance. M's are compared to mustangs and Maros. I LOVE M's up to mid 2000's. My M Roadsters Z3 body were some of my favorite cars I've owned. The new ones again ride like crap, don't handle and don't stop well. They have a stupid right pedal that is on or off with nothing in between completely designed to make it FEEL like a fast muscle car that the middle class buys for perceived status. I just don't like contemporary M cars for these reasons.
Viper set a lap record too, but who cares. Unless you spend your time lapping the nring, what does it matter. This is a street car. Porsches are compared to camaros and mustangs too. A base carrera is not being compared to a 488...they are in a massively different league. And you seem to think that because its a porsche, its better...making you a porsche *****.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:46 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by reacher
I had a 440 as a loaner, and is it just me or does it seem kind of.. cheap? I understand loaner cars aren't the best equipped, but all the materials felt really cheap compared to my X5M. Obviously the seats weren't real leather, which I expected. What I didn't expect was everything else. The buttons felt cheap, the iDrive wheel felt cheap and flimsy, the turn/windshield wiper stalks felt cheap, the screen looked cheap. Is that how the 3/4 series cars are now, or are loaner cars made with bargain basement materials? My E92 M3s and X5M felt much higher quality everywhere.
M's have real leather but the cheap buttons are consistent. The fit/finish in my 5 series M sport is way nicer as is the X5 vs X3. 3 series aren't that much more $$$ than fords and hyandais now days so there's the building to a target price equation happening.

I also loath the aftermarket looking screen in many of these new cars.... looks cheap to me.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:50 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm specifically looking for rear-wheel drive for a more lively driving experience. Which one would ride more comfortably - I've read conflicting opinions on this. Not too worried about storage space... more interested in driving dynamics / fun to drive factor at less than jail time speeds.
In terms of driving comfort, both the 991 and M4 are comfortable. The days of having to sacrifice comfort for handling are long gone, unless you buy a car which is street legal but was designed specifically for the track like the GT3. Even the GT3 provides a fairly comfortable ride, unless you drive over poorly maintained roads. If driving dynamics and fun to drive are your two top priorities, the 991 is the clear choice. The Engineers at BMW have done a great job modifying a 4 series into an above average handling car, but I doubt that even the most ardent BMW aficionado would claim that an M4 can compete with a 911's handling.

Bottom line is that the M4 is a good choice for someone who wants a powerful car with above average handling, and needs a back seat. If you want world class handling, then a 991 is the easy choice.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:59 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Viper set a lap record too, but who cares. Unless you spend your time lapping the nring, what does it matter. This is a street car. Porsches are compared to camaros and mustangs too. A base carrera is not being compared to a 488...they are in a massively different league. And you seem to think that because its a porsche, its better...making you a porsche *****.
People who spend 300K on a sports car care. Porsche needs these kinds of accolades to sell the GT2; most of which will neve even see 5K miles in their lifetime.

Because it's a Porsche it has a certain build quality, driver feel and level of engineering - across any model or trim the brand offers. This is consistently a higher level when comparing the cheapest Porsche to the most expensive BMW. So yes, I am a Porsche *****. Everything they make feel and performs as if it was made well. Because it is a Porsche, it IS better than a BMW - because of the reasons I stated and also status if any cares; i don't but many do.

IMO - a base 911 is more fun to drive on the street than a modern 488 which is basically a street legal race car. An M4 is less fun to drive on the street than a base 911 or any Porsche 2 door for that matter. So.... I still prefer the 911/porsche > 488. The viper was a brilliant sports car. The M4 isn't brilliant for anything.

FOR ME, I have a cab because I'm not a hardcore track junky. I want a really solid all around sports car that I can drive anywhere, anytime and fit luggage to take my wife for the weekend or just go out to dinner in. The sole competitor for this is a Lotus but they don't offer a cab. Again, for me and the majority of 911 owners, Porsche is the sole option in the market for this segment.

Sorry that you think the M4 is a nirvana but there is much data to support it has drifted far from the genius that was a 2002, E30, E36 and E46 M car.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:59 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

you won the Internet for me for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:00 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

M's have real leather but the cheap buttons are consistent. The fit/finish in my 5 series M sport is way nicer as is the X5 vs X3. 3 series aren't that much more $$$ than fords and hyandais now days so there's the building to a target price equation happening.

I also loath the aftermarket looking screen in many of these new cars.... looks cheap to me.
That is crazy.. The quality of everything in my E92 M3s was much higher from what I remember. Sad to see it go downhill like that.

Quick Reply: M4 to 991.2 Base Carrera?