991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 Battery Replacement DIY

Old 06-01-2019, 11:36 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

Got the Duracell AGM at Batteries & Bulbs locally. Interstate was an option but no way to know whether avail when I searched online and was time challenged as needed to get the new battery and install it today before vehicle is shipped on Monday. Install was simple using this thread and as I thought car had the original OEM battery installed. Since its a 2013 I think that means this battery is probably about 7 yrs old! Size comparison is as others have stated but fit well using the last mounting point on the battery tray. Started up quickly and charge was great....current battery failed testing at last service in January so it was time IMHO.

Original Battery - prior install

Original installed battery in position

OEM Porsche Battery

Battery Bay - ready for new one

Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group 49 Battery pic #1

Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group 49 Battery pic #2

Kinda large compared to the original
Old 08-02-2019, 08:58 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Just did mine today. Took an hour as I also tried to jam some foam in between the gas tank and firewall to stop some of the squeaking.

Original OEM battery

New Energizer battery

$269 Canadian from Costco. Car feels brand new, no more jerkiness.

Edit- weights are in kg.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:57 PM
MBR993
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Has anyone tried plugging a battery charger into the cig lighter during batter change instead of a tender? I have a micro-start xp-1 (https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...o-starts/xp-1/) and figure it should work as well to prevent memory loss when the time comes to replace my battery in a couple of years (i realize it is probably not needed but want to be safe).
Old 08-04-2019, 01:04 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,114 Likes on 665 Posts

Many who have replaced battery have said there is no memory loss, so no need for external power.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:19 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 220 Posts

I left my car in storage last winter for five months with the battery removed.

No issues.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:47 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I considered using my CTEK 7002 in power supply mode when changing my battery. I decided against it because I was worried that it makes the battery cables live during the battery change and I would have to be careful not to short the positive cable on something even with the battery removed.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:01 AM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 172 Posts

is it worth going to a lightweight battery? can you feel a 40lbs weight drop in daily driving?
Old 08-14-2019, 01:11 AM
2-Rotor
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by koven
is it worth going to a lightweight battery? can you feel a 40lbs weight drop in daily driving?
Honestly with all the electronics in these cars its not really worth it unless you have a cup car. That big battery has a lot of amps/ voltage to run all the computers and sensors in the car better than one of those lightweight batteries that are genuinely used for racing purposes.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:15 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

40lb = appx 4 hp, so doubtful you would feel that.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:30 AM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

I can't say that I can feel a difference due to weight reduction in normal driving. There was a huge difference in effort between removing the old battery and installing the new battery. It probably reduces the chance of injury. I don't know how you could put a dollar value on that.

The battery may have less AH capacity but isn't it the alternator that provides the power when the car is running? As far as starting the car, I don't know how the power output of the lithium battery compares to the agm battery. It may depend on which lithium battery you choose.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:01 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 975 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by PTGFAR
I considered using my CTEK 7002 in power supply mode when changing my battery. I decided against it because I was worried that it makes the battery cables live during the battery change and I would have to be careful not to short the positive cable on something even with the battery removed.
Modern Chargers will not keep a Battery Energized, and the actually won't put out sufficient Amperage to even allow you to open a the frunk if you completely discharge the battery.

The reason they won't keep the power on to the Charger's Clamps are for safety reasons like anti-spark, and they don't want live clamps. So the charger will not put energy to the clamps if it does not sense it is actually connected to a battery. So once you remove the battery the Charger will know and shut off.

Just an FYI...
Old 08-14-2019, 03:39 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We, Antigravity Batteries, do lightweight lithium Car Batteries... ours have some extra features that DO make it worth it in terms of going with Lithium over Lead. For example we have Wireless built-in Jump Starting on our Batteries, which is a super cool feature and I would consider that something even a non-performance minded person might opt for because you will never be locked out of your frunk or stuck with a dead battery emergency and not able to start your car. Also a much longer life cycle... but it really about your application and use of the car.

But for the weight issue.... can you feel it? Some say they notice, others not so much, so that subjective as to the feeling of the weight. But I can tell you that the 30lbs you do save with a Lithium are massive in terms of actual performance and value for the cost of the weight loss. The reasons are this... the force required to stop or slow down "Weight/Mass" actually becomes exponentially more as the speeds increase. My disclaimer is that this is not actual engineering numbers that follow but basically a demonstration of how weight works. So lets say a 10 lb brick going 10 MPH take roughly 10 pound of force to stop it (not accurate it take more, but for demonstrative purposes lets say that.) ...... Now speed up that 10lbs brick to 20MPH.... does it now take TWICE the force to stop it, does it now take 20 lbs to stop that 10lbs brick? No, it takes much force to slow it down since as speed increases that weight is exponentially harder to slow down. So it might take about 4-5 times the force to stop that 10lbs brick down even though the speed went only 2x higher. Now when you talk about going 60 MPH that brick becomes a projectile probably taking 800 pounds of force to stop.... again because as the speed increases the force required to slow it or stop it goes up exponentially. A 10 pound brick going 60MPH will blow a hole through a house wall.... now take that 10 lbs brick to a 100MPH and slowing down that simple 10 Pounds become pretty crazy. So on a track and thinking of the braking distances to stop a given weight, and the lateral G-Forces of that 10 pound block at high speed pulling to the outside of a corner all adds up when driving faster. So that is a badly explained example is why weight is so important in performance cars, and why people desire weight loss. In the end our Battery saves 30lbs and not many parts can save that much weight and offer its feature for its price point. Carbon Fiber is hundreds of dollars to lose just OUNCES, so are Titanium and other "lightweight parts" . So the price of Lithium is higher than lead for sure, but overall the value for those who want the features of lithium it is definitely beneficial. Add longer Battery life into that and the higher entry price for Lithium become much more reasonable.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:49 AM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Modern Chargers will not keep a Battery Energized, and the actually won't put out sufficient Amperage to even allow you to open a the frunk if you completely discharge the battery.

The reason they won't keep the power on to the Charger's Clamps are for safety reasons like anti-spark, and they don't want live clamps. So the charger will not put energy to the clamps if it does not sense it is actually connected to a battery. So once you remove the battery the Charger will know and shut off.

Just an FYI...
I believe the CTEK 7002 operated in the "SUPPLY" mode is an exception to this. See attached section from the manual.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:36 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
We, Antigravity Batteries, do lightweight lithium Car Batteries... ours have some extra features that DO make it worth it in terms of going with Lithium over Lead. For example we have Wireless built-in Jump Starting on our Batteries, which is a super cool feature and I would consider that something even a non-performance minded person might opt for because you will never be locked out of your frunk or stuck with a dead battery emergency and not able to start your car. Also a much longer life cycle... but it really about your application and use of the car.

But for the weight issue.... can you feel it? Some say they notice, others not so much, so that subjective as to the feeling of the weight. But I can tell you that the 30lbs you do save with a Lithium are massive in terms of actual performance and value for the cost of the weight loss. The reasons are this... the force required to stop or slow down "Weight/Mass" actually becomes exponentially more as the speeds increase. My disclaimer is that this is not actual engineering numbers that follow but basically a demonstration of how weight works. So lets say a 10 lb brick going 10 MPH take roughly 10 pound of force to stop it (not accurate it take more, but for demonstrative purposes lets say that.) ...... Now speed up that 10lbs brick to 20MPH.... does it now take TWICE the force to stop it, does it now take 20 lbs to stop that 10lbs brick? No, it takes much force to slow it down since as speed increases that weight is exponentially harder to slow down. So it might take about 4-5 times the force to stop that 10lbs brick down even though the speed went only 2x higher. Now when you talk about going 60 MPH that brick becomes a projectile probably taking 800 pounds of force to stop.... again because as the speed increases the force required to slow it or stop it goes up exponentially. A 10 pound brick going 60MPH will blow a hole through a house wall.... now take that 10 lbs brick to a 100MPH and slowing down that simple 10 Pounds become pretty crazy. So on a track and thinking of the braking distances to stop a given weight, and the lateral G-Forces of that 10 pound block at high speed pulling to the outside of a corner all adds up when driving faster. So that is a badly explained example is why weight is so important in performance cars, and why people desire weight loss. In the end our Battery saves 30lbs and not many parts can save that much weight and offer its feature for its price point. Carbon Fiber is hundreds of dollars to lose just OUNCES, so are Titanium and other "lightweight parts" . So the price of Lithium is higher than lead for sure, but overall the value for those who want the features of lithium it is definitely beneficial. Add longer Battery life into that and the higher entry price for Lithium become much more reasonable.
When my OEM battery went south last fall, I was going to purchase one of your batteries but your website said you were out of stock for 991's. Just curious, do you have stock on them now? What is the price point with the adaptor kit for the 991?

I run lithium batteries in all my motorcycles, so am well aware of the benefits of them and I do like the way the operate.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by drcollie
When my OEM battery went south last fall, I was going to purchase one of your batteries but your website said you were out of stock for 991's. Just curious, do you have stock on them now? What is the price point with the adaptor kit for the 991?

I run lithium batteries in all my motorcycles, so am well aware of the benefits of them and I do like the way the operate.
So you would now no longer need an adaptor kit as our automotive models have been since updated and you would be looking at one of the H6 units which would be a direct drop in fit. The H6 in particular comes in multiple capacities so you'd likely be looking at either the H6-30-RS or H6-40-RS for your car. Check out the link below for details and please feel free to let us know if you have any questions at all.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...tive/ag-h6-rs/

Chad
Chad@antigravitybatteries.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.1 Battery Replacement DIY