Sponsored by:

991.1 Battery Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 07:27 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sajan
Well that sounds right. For the battery, week 48 = November 28, 2011 - December 4, 2011That matches up with the car being manufactured in dec 2011 also.

You are using an 8 year old battery so maybe it's time. You can always get it load tested and see. Make sure battery is at least 75% charged before you do that.
I broke down and paid the ransom on a new battery and will install it this weekend. I’ve got a several hour drive to track days in April and I didn’t want to ruin that trip over a battery.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:59 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 179 Posts

I successfully changed the battery.
I went to the interstate store in Houston and picked up a H8 AGM for 184 + tax.

The guy there tested my current battery and when he put load on it, voltage dropped to 8-8.5. He said it should have stayed above 9.6.

I didn't use a battery tender or anything during the swap and as far as I can tell, everything is working.

Unfortunately, the iCarsoft V2.0 is not cooperating when it comes to coding the new battery in. It says communication error; application failure. I emailed tech support, and I will update here. Otherwise I am going to see if my indy mechanic has the PIWIS tool to do it.
As a follow-up, I haven't gotten a fix from icarsoft yet; i emailed them a log file.

In the meantime, I found my new mechanic for all things porsche in houston. Einar's garage in Seabrook. I took my car over there just to say hi and check out the shop. The tech connected the PIWIS II and asked me what I want to put in the battery change section. I put 95 ah, AMG, old porsche battery serial and 99961109510 as the part number. Old battery had 070 in the bolded part.

my other mechanic in houston said oh don't worry about! we change batteries and we don't do anything in the car. Einar's tech said it doesn't affect the car but it affects the life of the new battery. I highly doubt porsche would add this extra step to indicate battery capacity and type for no damn reason.

I noticed my voltage came dowe to 13.3V in normal mode after cars been running for a while and up to 14.5V in sport on the highway.

I might return the icarsoft since I have no use for it for a year, and it didn't do the battery thing like how i hoped it would.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:18 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 42 Posts

As a follow-up, I haven't gotten a fix from icarsoft yet; i emailed them a log file.

In the meantime, I found my new mechanic for all things porsche in houston. Einar's garage in Seabrook. I took my car over there just to say hi and check out the shop. The tech connected the PIWIS II and asked me what I want to put in the battery change section. I put 95 ah, AMG, old porsche battery serial and 99961109510 as the part number. Old battery had 070 in the bolded part.

my other mechanic in houston said oh don't worry about! we change batteries and we don't do anything in the car. Einar's tech said it doesn't affect the car but it affects the life of the new battery. I highly doubt porsche would add this extra step to indicate battery capacity and type for no damn reason.

I noticed my voltage came dowe to 13.3V in normal mode after cars been running for a while and up to 14.5V in sport on the highway.

I might return the icarsoft since I have no use for it for a year, and it didn't do the battery thing like how i hoped it would.
Thanks for the update. I just paid for an Duracell Ultra Platinum battery from B's+ and plan to install this afternoon. I also have an iCarsoft unit and hope to complete the battery reset procedure; I'd like my auto start/stop to function again (though I have had one person give feedback and said theirs began to start working again shortly afterward...) and think there's a fair chance it could increase the lifespan of the new battery.

Will follow up.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:52 PM
JC68
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Looking forward to the update on icarsoft. I’m using it to reset service intervals after diys, hoping it can code the battery too.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:55 PM
Sajan
Pro

So another update:
The only model i know that was advertised to do the battery change is the icarsoft por v2.0. I know many of you have the POR II model and that is not the same as the V2.0 model. The V2.0 has F1 and F2 keys on the left.
https://www.icarsoft.com/Product/s-3...ft_POR_V2.html

the tech emailed be back a new set of files (the entire folder on the sd card) to swap out but unfortunately i mailed the unit back to amazon yest evening. so i won't be able to check if what he emailed fixes the issue.

If someone has the V2.0 unit, I can send the files over for you to try.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2019, 04:59 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

I have the POR II model as well - just bought it a few months ago.

Who did you contact to get the new files for the SD card? I'd be willing to take a crack at it to see if it works.

Is there any promise that the new files won't turn the whole unit into a brick?
Old 03-19-2019, 05:32 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,175 Likes on 707 Posts

I am pretty sure that if you have POR II, the new files will not help -- it will only work for 2.0.

But, if you want to try . . .
Old 03-19-2019, 06:47 PM
drive95
Instructor

I just replaced my battery - that was super quick and easy.

No joy on the battery reset procedure. I also get, after inputting a tedious amount of data (should I put in the original Porsche battery part number?) communications failure.
​​
I just bought my iCarsoft and it is V2.0 but must have outdated files. I'll need the new ones...

Once I'm done with it I can sell it to one of y'all at a discount since I'll no longer need it.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:09 PM
orclean1
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Pep boy is selling Champion AGM for our 911's at a 25% till 3/31/2019, cost 148.00 , Champion is made by one of the three manufacturers
. 48 month warranty to boot
Old 03-19-2019, 08:11 PM
drive95
Instructor

Updated the iCarsoft's firmware version using their update tool and still no luck. PMed @Sajan in hopes the files he sent function.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:06 PM
Sajan
Pro

Originally Posted by drive95
I just replaced my battery - that was super quick and easy.

No joy on the battery reset procedure. I also get, after inputting a tedious amount of data (should I put in the original Porsche battery part number?) communications failure.
​​
I just bought my iCarsoft and it is V2.0 but must have outdated files. I'll need the new ones...

Once I'm done with it I can sell it to one of y'all at a discount since I'll no longer need it.
I inputted this for the interstate agm battery in PIWIS II without any issues.

Battery Capacity: 95
Technology: AGM
Scanner code (15 characters including the space): Serial number for the porsche battery. It seems like it's 3 numbers, space, followed by 11 more characters. I highly doubt it matters what you put here. Maybe try making it "XXX XXXXXXXXXXX" if you don't have the porsche serial.
Party number: 99961109510
Old 03-20-2019, 01:17 AM
sanjeev
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For those who are looking to DIY their battery change registration, I did mine recently with an Autel MD808P scan tool. The Gateway control unit has data fields for
- battery capacity in Ah
- battery type (flooded, AGM, Li-Ion, etc)
- Porsche part no.
- Porsche serial no.

I also own a Schwaben Porsche scanner, which does get into the Gateway control unit, and let’s you try to set this data, but it kept failing to register (“Input Error”). Ultimately I got tired of trying, got ZERO warranty help from Foxwell (the manufacturer) and decided to just get another tool.

FWIW, the Autel unit worked like a charm, first try.

Now the Start-stop function works almost too well!!! It hadn’t been working in regular driving for the last year or so.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:53 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,175 Likes on 707 Posts

Old 03-20-2019, 04:09 PM
kilster
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought most folks had their *** working without having to enter the new battery info. I am leaning towards antigravity.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:35 PM
drive95
Instructor

Following up:
Returned my iCarsoft POR V2.0 today due to the fact I could not get it to successfully reset the battery calibration, even with the latest firmware from the manufacturer's site.

The battery replacement was quick and easy (purchased Duracell Ultra Platinum 70AH). Displayed charging voltage afterward was worrisome, however, as it climbed as high as 15.0V while driving. I called a couple local shops to find one with a scanner tool and was referred by a shop I have prior experience with to JM Auto Performance in ATL. I drove over and was all set, good to go, in 10 minutes.

Battery voltages are now between 13.0V at idle and 14.5V while operating. It is in the tech's opinion that is is DEFINITELY a good idea to reset the battery calibration to prevent higher charging voltages from prematurely degrading battery health.

I'd recommend calling around and having a local indy shop perform the service after you replace your battery. ✌️

Quick Reply: 991.1 Battery Replacement DIY