Sponsored by:

991.1 Battery Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 06:29 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7

This is a great price for an Interstate Battery, including maintenance free. I too previously purchased the same battery only to find it’s not an AGM rated battery and returned it. I ended up purchasing an AGM Interstate Battery from a local auto shop but at nowhere near the $132 price offered by Costco.
I discovered the Interstate Batteries cover the battery compartment completely and weigh much more than the OEM Banner Batteries. In all, I’m satisfied with my decision.
Yes Sid, I was actually ready to go with the Duracell & was leaving Costco but decided to see if they carried our battery size...couldn’t believe they had it! Battery was also freshly dated 3/18! I figured it was just meant to be! And for sure this battery is much more “robust” than original...glad Porsche engineers anticipated the larger battery and gave us the extra tray space. Got to love that German engineering!
Old 04-04-2018, 06:38 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelrosario

Yes Sid, I was actually ready to go with the Duracell & was leaving Costco but decided to see if they carried our battery size...couldn’t believe they had it! Battery was also freshly dated 3/18! I figured it was just meant to be! And for sure this battery is much more “robust” than original...glad Porsche engineers anticipated the larger battery and gave us the extra tray space. Got to love that German engineering!

I agree and think you didn’t go wrong with the selection. I was there myself a few months ago. Take care....
Old 04-05-2018, 01:08 AM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks again to daberlin for wonderful write up. Followed exact instructions & was done in 30 minutes with zero issues!

i went with the Interstate size 33 Battery. I found it at Costco for $132.00. 42 month replacement. Happy with the preventative maintenance on my Lucy!!

No freaking way! I called Costco and they told me they didn't have it a week ago. Maybe I should go in and ask for this size. Which Costco in LA was this? In case I can't find it down here in OC and happen to be in LA.

Although this does not look like an AGM battery maintenance free battery. I see those caps on top of the battery for you to fill with water?

Thanks for the heads up anyways!
Old 04-05-2018, 10:58 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Originally Posted by N2B8TOR
No freaking way! I called Costco and they told me they didn't have it a week ago. Maybe I should go in and ask for this size. Which Costco in LA was this? In case I can't find it down here in OC and happen to be in LA.

Although this does not look like an AGM battery maintenance free battery. I see those caps on top of the battery for you to fill with water?

Thanks for the heads up anyways!
hello, I am unsure if it’s AGM...but I figured you cannot go wrong with Costco returns. Interestingly, I called Costco and they told me they didnt carry batteries for 911. This is why I was surprised when I meandered in to check anyway...& lo and behold...they had it. Battery size 33.

i called Interstate customer service and the person working there was useless regarding AGM & Costco batteries.

I purchased battery at Costco Torrance. Fits perfectly, no install issues whatsoever, car fires right up; peace of mind for $132.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:37 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

You need to find out if it’s a wet cell or AGM. If the former, it will need a vent tube or kaboom.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:43 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Interstate AGM Battery.

hello, I am unsure if it’s AGM...but I figured you cannot go wrong with Costco returns. Interestingly, I called Costco and they told me they didnt carry batteries for 911. This is why I was surprised when I meandered in to check anyway...& lo and behold...they had it. Battery size 33.

i called Interstate customer service and the person working there was useless regarding AGM & Costco batteries.

I purchased battery at Costco Torrance. Fits perfectly, no install issues whatsoever, car fires right up; peace of mind for $132.
The battery you purchased is likely a maintenance free lead acid battery. If it’s an AGM Battery the marking will be adhered on the top. Also, the AGM battery will run you close to $300.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:18 PM
sdl2112
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think anyone considering replacing the AGM battery with wet cell should do their homework. As suggested it likely needs a vent outside the frunk compartment and the charging profile is designed for an AGM battery. They require a slightly higher voltage, how with this effect a wet cell....don't know, possibly more out-gassing. Is it worth the $100 savings, I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:24 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Originally Posted by sdl2112
I think anyone considering replacing the AGM battery with wet cell should do their homework. As suggested it likely needs a vent outside the frunk compartment and the charging profile is designed for an AGM battery. They require a slightly higher voltage, how with this effect a wet cell....don't know, possibly more out-gassing. Is it worth the $100 savings, I wouldn't recommend it.
THanks for heads up!...I may just have to return it! Not worth any hassles!
Old 04-06-2018, 03:26 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Interstate AGM Battery.

The battery you purchased is likely a maintenance free lead acid battery. If it’s an AGM Battery the marking will be adhered on the top. Also, the AGM battery will run you close to $300.
Thanks Sid...Back to Costco I go!
Old 04-06-2018, 04:21 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Thanks Sid...Back to Costco I go!
No worries..... I doubt Costco stocks the AGM Interstate Battery. I know because I’ve been there. Check your local auto shops.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:56 PM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

Originally Posted by sdl2112
Agree. The Porsche came with an AGM battery so the alternator was probably meant to charge an AGM battery not a wet cell battery. Also the battery is located in a sealed trunk so all that gases will accumulate underneath (if you don't hook up a vent tube). Since our interior vents draw air from there you'll smell it in the cabin unless you've been parking for a long time, in which your car is a ticking time bomb waiting for a spark.

AGM will be much safter to work with because it does not give off gases like the wet cell. Sears also sells an AGM battery. If you don't need one right away wait for it to be on sale. Normal price is $220 but sale price a week ago was only $180. It's made by East Penn Manufacturing which is a solid company. Alternatively amazon sells the same battery for $200. After install take the old battery back to Sears and they'll give you $20 back. Solid deal for an AGM battery.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-advance...8&blockType=G8
Old 04-06-2018, 04:58 PM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

No worries..... I doubt Costco stocks the AGM Interstate Battery. I know because I’ve been there. Check your local auto shops.
I stopped by Costco last night and the Interstate batteries they sell are indeed maintenance-free wet cells. Sam's stocks an AGM if you have membership for only $170 or something.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:49 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Thanks for all the input guys! I returned the Costco battery & purchased the Duracell. Again, no issues replacing battery. This time only 20 minutes to complete!

I did note that with the wet cell, the alternator was indicating 14.5 - 14.7 charge. After switching to AGM, now charging at 13.5. Just an FYI.

There was was no way I was going to chance having to vent that wet cell.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:34 PM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

So I just picked up a Sears DieHard Advanced Gold AGM. I noticed there are two vent holes on the sides and a warning saying the battery should not be installed in a sealed compartment. So is this battery safe to install or should I go back and get the Duracell from B+? Sears was much closer to me and from my research both batteries are manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:40 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The frunk isn’t sealed enough to prevent the escape of hydrogen gas so you should be okay.

Quick Reply: 991.1 Battery Replacement DIY