Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 06:52 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

A couple of things surprise me here.

737 views and only 100 voters

52 manual - 48 PDK

When I was looking for a 991 manual, only 8% - 10% came up in my searches. I love the manual in this car.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:03 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Had manuals for most of my driving life, but I've reached an age where a manual has lost its magic.

It's easy enough to switch to manual mode, if the situation presents itself.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:07 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA

Five of those views are mine, but you can only vote once.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:06 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

I have been an MT guy for over 40 years with all Pcars except for a short term Panny being all MT’s. I really wanted back in a TT and there are no MT modern TTS cars. I will say I am getting used to it and the Europipe going on this week will help. I also appreciate that this car could not be driven as efficiently with an MT tranny. The PDK really brings out the performance of this car.
Still miss the 3rd pedal though but love this car.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:35 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by phx991
Five of those views are mine, but you can only vote once.
Exactly. Also, viewers who do not sign up for an account can't vote.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:45 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by subshooter
I was going to say what Lex said but I don't think the ratio will be that high. More manual drivers on this forum and we don't represent the average Porsche owners.
Yup, all of us are above average.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:10 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

MT7 and I HATE it. 38 years of driving and 9 MT cars and this is by far the worst. Never had to think so much about shifting or finding the right gear. Cant wait to give this car back in a few weeks.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:45 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
MT7 and I HATE it. 38 years of driving and 9 MT cars and this is by far the worst. Never had to think so much about shifting or finding the right gear. Cant wait to give this car back in a few weeks.
For real? I realized after the first 3 days of driving that 7th was dead to me unless on the highway. Problem solved.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:49 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Well, I for one have come back a few times to read the comments!

Originally Posted by AlBinVA

52 manual - 48 PDK

When I was looking for a 991 manual, only 8% - 10% came up in my searches. I love the manual in this car.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:19 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by koala
For real? I realized after the first 3 days of driving that 7th was dead to me unless on the highway. Problem solved.
For real. Gates are too close. Reverse lock out spring is too soft. Final gearing is too high. Can only shift to 7th from 5th or 6th.

If my car were a PDK Id be buying it at the end of the lease.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:48 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
For real. Gates are too close. Reverse lock out spring is too soft. Final gearing is too high. Can only shift to 7th from 5th or 6th.

If my car were a PDK Id be buying it at the end of the lease.
Hope you'll get a PDK and will be happy with it. It's a great transmission, just not for everyone as indicated by this poll.

I agree to your point saying "final gearing is too high", but this is for 7th gear only. And this was done on purpose. IMO that 7th gear is Porsche's nod to fuel efficiency trend. I rarely use it if at all. Interested to hear your insight on what is an issue with "can only shift to 7th from 5th or 6th", It is so far on the right that you can't really go there unless you really want to. And the interlock you listed as a drawback prevents you from going 4th to 7th instead of 5th. It makes sense, if you truly feel the gears are too close, does not it?

Interestingly, I have to disagree with the other points you made. I think this 7sp MT is perfectly fine and is very similar to 997's 6sp MT, except, judged by my cars, a bit smoother.

However, there is no reason arguing. Luckily we all have choices.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:45 AM
malibuboy
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

PDK all the way for me. I have changed and the technology allows me fully explore my limits.

Have you ever tried driving hills in SF? If you go up Divisidero there are six crests. People will pull right up on your bumper as you get stuck behind a lookey-loo tourist. This can be a daily experience. FFS.

I lived in Malibu 15 years, so 15 years of PCH and the 10 (and the 405,of course). PDK is a savior.

Now when I do HPDE and I just go out and work my line. You should hear the “purists” chunk it at T5 Thunderhill. Those guy make me smile. Drive what you will but please allow me to pass. Time moves on and so did I.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:21 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by malibuboy
PDK all the way for me. I have changed and the technology allows me fully explore my limits.

Have you ever tried driving hills in SF? If you go up Divisidero there are six crests. People will pull right up on your bumper as you get stuck behind a lookey-loo tourist. This can be a daily experience. FFS.

I lived in Malibu 15 years, so 15 years of PCH and the 10 (and the 405,of course). PDK is a savior.

Now when I do HPDE and I just go out and work my line. You should hear the “purists” chunk it at T5 Thunderhill. Those guy make me smile. Drive what you will but please allow me to pass. Time moves on and so did I.
Agreed...PDK is faster on Track Days. I also live in SF and have zero issues with any hill, including divis, filmore, franklin, the hill hold feature helps with the tail gators on the hills. For daily driving I prefer the engagement of a manual, but for HPDE/Track Days, an automated gearbox all the way. I just like shifting my own gears on my daily cars
Old 11-27-2017, 08:43 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
For daily driving I prefer the engagement of a manual, but for HPDE/Track Days, an automated gearbox all the way. I just like shifting my own gears on my daily cars
Brotha from anotha motha. Couldn't agree more.

Funny thing is, my last Carrera (mainly street car) was PDK, and my current GT4 (more track usage) is 6M. I got it backwards!
Old 11-27-2017, 04:36 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Hope you'll get a PDK and will be happy with it. It's a great transmission, just not for everyone as indicated by this poll.

I agree to your point saying "final gearing is too high", but this is for 7th gear only. And this was done on purpose. IMO that 7th gear is Porsche's nod to fuel efficiency trend. I rarely use it if at all. Interested to hear your insight on what is an issue with "can only shift to 7th from 5th or 6th", It is so far on the right that you can't really go there unless you really want to. And the interlock you listed as a drawback prevents you from going 4th to 7th instead of 5th. It makes sense, if you truly feel the gears are too close, does not it?

Interestingly, I have to disagree with the other points you made. I think this 7sp MT is perfectly fine and is very similar to 997's 6sp MT, except, judged by my cars, a bit smoother.

However, there is no reason arguing. Luckily we all have choices.
I'm going to play with and focus on my 964 for a while. However, if I ever buy another new Porsche (maybe a 992?) I will for sure get the PDK and I know I will be happy with it. To be more specific about my complaints, final gearing is too tall in the first three gears. It is fine in 7th but when 2nd gear puts me close to 80 MPH and 3rd gear well above that, it's just no fun to drive on the street. There is no chance to wind it out at all. Getting onto a freeway I can blast through 1st and 2nd and into 3rd now I am up to speed (over 80 MPH) with traffic and I'd like to be able to shift straight into 7th. No can do.

Also when it comes to gearing I have stalled this car more than all my other MT cars COMBINED. Many, most, all? will say my complaints are all user error but I have never had any of these issues in any of my other vehicles.

I will admit that the more I drive this car the less I hate the transmission but it is too late. Next one will be PDK for sure.

However, having said all that, I do wonder how I would like the MT6. I would love to order a GT3 touring but it ONLY comes with a MT and after this experience.... well, I think I'll just play with my 964 for a while.

Quick Reply: MT vs PDK stats