Manual
50.74%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

MT vs PDK stats

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017 | 12:48 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the explanations rkwfxd! I think you will love MT6. It will sure erase all of your concerns listed. At the same time nothing wrong with PDK if you like it
Old 11-28-2017 | 12:49 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Meanwhile we are at almost 50-50
Old 11-28-2017 | 08:25 AM
DNorby
Racer

An automatic transmission on a 911? Are more women buying 911's? I am turned on when I see a woman driving a 911 and even more excited if it has a MT. I drove a '13S with PDK, did not care for it.
Automatic transmissions are good for sedans, suv's and trucks, not the most iconic sports car of all time.
Old 11-28-2017 | 08:31 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
I'm going to play with and focus on my 964 for a while. However, if I ever buy another new Porsche (maybe a 992?) I will for sure get the PDK and I know I will be happy with it. To be more specific about my complaints, final gearing is too tall in the first three gears. It is fine in 7th but when 2nd gear puts me close to 80 MPH and 3rd gear well above that, it's just no fun to drive on the street. There is no chance to wind it out at all. Getting onto a freeway I can blast through 1st and 2nd and into 3rd now I am up to speed (over 80 MPH) with traffic and I'd like to be able to shift straight into 7th. No can do.

Also when it comes to gearing I have stalled this car more than all my other MT cars COMBINED. Many, most, all? will say my complaints are all user error but I have never had any of these issues in any of my other vehicles.

I will admit that the more I drive this car the less I hate the transmission but it is too late. Next one will be PDK for sure.

However, having said all that, I do wonder how I would like the MT6. I would love to order a GT3 touring but it ONLY comes with a MT and after this experience.... well, I think I'll just play with my 964 for a while.
I agree with everything except the part about getting a pdk in my next Porsche. I will wait until the new ones no longer have a MT and I don't have a choice. I tried to force myself to love the pdk so I went to a track at PEC-Atlanta and drove one hard. Hated it. I kept my 981 which has a 6MT and I still get to 80mph in second so I am not sure a 6MT is going to address the longer gears.
Old 11-28-2017 | 09:15 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by subshooter
I went to a track at PEC-Atlanta and drove one hard.
You definitely sound like you like your stick.
Old 11-28-2017 | 09:20 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Old 11-28-2017 | 09:27 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Last 2 cars were PDK. Turbo 991.1 and Turbo S 991.2.
PDK is slick and in the modern Turbos it's almost a must. Over the past 4 years I tried hard to maintain a sense of engagement, but my Turbos left me a bit numb and feeling dis-engaged.
They did everything so damn well, over time they became.... somewhat boring.
Happily found the fix... by ordering the 991.2 GT3 Touring.
Looking forward to reconnecting with my Porsche.

Old 11-28-2017 | 09:42 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DNorby
An automatic transmission on a 911? Are more women buying 911's?
My wife never warmed to my C4S because it had a PDK. This is one of the reasons I ordered a MT GTS.
Old 11-28-2017 | 10:43 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Meanwhile we are at almost 50-50
Wow! Kind of surprised me. Well, maybe not. I mean, there are a lot of enthusiasts on this site but at the same time PDK is very popular with buyers as well.
Old 11-28-2017 | 02:35 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Don't we all?

Hey isn't it odd that the poll is now 50-50. Kind of like the gender distribution.

Old 11-28-2017 | 03:06 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I mean, there are a lot of enthusiasts on this site but at the same time PDK is very popular with buyers as well.
It's been apparent to me for some time that the Rennlist 991 board skews towards a particular niche of 991 owner. There's a definite culture here that doesn't really represent 991 owners as a whole. It's a subset even of Rennlist, since the Turbo board is separate and can't have the same prejudices, since 991 Turbos are by definition PDK and forced induction, the two irrational bugaboos of this board. It's not something I've observed at, say, Planet 9 or 6SpeedOnline, but unfortunately the 991 areas of those boards don't get that much traffic.

I'm fine with people having personal preferences, I just wish the people here were a bit more tolerant of what other people like in their 991's. I'm of the opinion that any 991, whatever variant you want to pick out, is a really good car. I suspect that the board skews the way it does because there are some vocal posters who are very hostile to people who don't have their narrow ideas of what makes a good Porsche, and tend to drive moderate visitors away before they establish a presence here.

That said, I've seen worse. I recall hitting one site that started an article with "back with Porsche used to make sports cars, and not overweight pig mobiles," and I realized I wasn't going to read anything rational there.
Old 11-28-2017 | 03:22 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subshooter
Hey isn't it odd that the poll is now 50-50. Kind of like the gender distribution.
Wait. There are women on this board? Any women? I think the only time I recall seeing a definite female was the OP in the "I bought my husband a 911 S" thread, and she's not going to be a regular - though if you dig through her back posts she mentions driving a Macan.

Not intended to deny the existence of 911-loving females, just noting the scarcity here.

My wife sorta qualifies as a 911 lover, but doesn't read this board. She's told me repeatedly that a 911 Targa was always her dream car, and when I was looking to replace my Panamera with a sport coupe, she flipped from "you should keep your car" to "let's buy it" when I started talking 911's rather than a BMW i8 or Jaguar F-type. On the other hand, when we started talking about getting a 2015 GTS cab to replace her 2015 Cayman S, she was initially enthusiastic but backed out because she loves her Cayman.
Old 11-28-2017 | 03:38 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Wow! Kind of surprised me. Well, maybe not. I mean, there are a lot of enthusiasts on this site but at the same time PDK is very popular with buyers as well.
My hypothesis is two fold...

1. Porsche pushes the PDK very hard. It is in fact very, very good.
2. There is so much regurgitation of magazine times, stats and genital measuring. The only way to come close to duplicating these results is PDK. I.e. ego with regard to having the fastest > the funnest.

I've grown to love my PDK - got tired of looking for a manual cab that suited me.... not sure I would change now. Having a big, boring, boosted daily driver keeps me interested.
Old 11-28-2017 | 04:17 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Prior to buying a 991 TTS, my 911s had always been manuals, and I've driven manuals since the 1980s. I taught my boys to drive manuals when they were learning how to drive, and they both own cars with manual transmissions today.

The manual transmission and the clutch in my 996 C4S were a joy to operate. The transmission was very well-suited to the engine and to the car. The manual in my 997 TT was okay, but not as nice as the one in the 996. The 997 TT reached redline in 1st gear in less than a second. It was difficult to shift fast enough when accelerating hard from a stop, although it was fun in twisty mountain roads. The clutch in the 997 was one of the most difficult that I've ever owned; it was either "on or off", and it was very difficult to modulate when starting off from a stop, especially on a hill. My experience with the manual transmission in the 997 had me considering a PDK car anyway, and when I decided to buy a 991 TTS, the decision was made for me. I worried when I first bought the 991 that I'd miss the manual transmission. I did for a little while, but those days are over. The PDK unit works extremely well with the TTS, and I don't think I'd enjoy it with a manual transmission. The 991 TTS is a far more engaging and interesting car to drive than my 997 TT was, even with PDK (I usually drive it in manual mode). For me personally, I think I'll stick with PDK in modern Porsches. I'm in the market for an air-cooled car or perhaps a 968 coupe at the moment, and I'll stick with a manual transmission in either of those.

I don't think it's possible to make a decision about someone's preference based on a single car. My car is PDK, but that doesn't mean that I don't like or want a car with a manual transmission. For this particular car, the PDK gearbox was the right choice for me. For another car, a manual transmission might be the right choice.
Old 11-28-2017 | 04:51 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
It's been apparent to me for some time that the Rennlist 991 board skews towards a particular niche of 991 owner. There's a definite culture here that doesn't really represent 991 owners as a whole. It's a subset even of Rennlist, since the Turbo board is separate and can't have the same prejudices, since 991 Turbos are by definition PDK and forced induction, the two irrational bugaboos of this board. It's not something I've observed at, say, Planet 9 or 6SpeedOnline, but unfortunately the 991 areas of those boards don't get that much traffic.

I'm fine with people having personal preferences, I just wish the people here were a bit more tolerant of what other people like in their 991's. I'm of the opinion that any 991, whatever variant you want to pick out, is a really good car. I suspect that the board skews the way it does because there are some vocal posters who are very hostile to people who don't have their narrow ideas of what makes a good Porsche, and tend to drive moderate visitors away before they establish a presence here.

That said, I've seen worse. I recall hitting one site that started an article with "back with Porsche used to make sports cars, and not overweight pig mobiles," and I realized I wasn't going to read anything rational there.
I have been amazed by the hostility and the repetitive posting by certain people. Trolls live among us, I suppose, even on Rennlist. Sad because I think it drives other people away from posting.

Quick Reply: MT vs PDK stats