Future Collectible Targa GTS 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 07:05 PM
aduong
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Future Collectible Targa GTS 991.1

Hello All,

I have been following the forum for some time and had a 991.1 Carrera and recently upgraded to a 991.1 Targa GTS. I noticed the amount of Turbo S etc was pretty significant while there were only 12 used Targa GTS for sale from 2016-2018. Do you think the Targa GTS 2016 NA will be a collectible in the future and continue holding close to list price or more since it was made in limited numbers? I heard only 600 made in MY 2016 the turbo change in 2017 and on.

Look forward to the input.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

In the future. Think of "Back to the Future"
Old 11-25-2017, 07:24 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

As being the last and best of the N/A C’s, I think all .1’s will be classics in their own right. Targas can go either way in respects to how they compare to sister .1 values. While they are more rare and have generally much higher MSRP’s, they’re also not as popular as Coupes, so buyer base will be more limited (again, this can mean while you won’t get as much action selling it, you can get more money from the more specific group looking for it).

Older 911’s (80’s) tend to have Targas as by far their cheapest valued cars, relative to Coupes and Verts. Not sure how the 991.1 Targa will differ, but it may.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,626 Posts

No.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:36 PM
Nala
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:51 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

No.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:39 PM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got 3 "No" votes in a row...I'm looking to be enlightened either from a fact base or just personal opinion or POV...come on Rennlist mates...if ever there was a POV that anyone would listen to it would certainly come from this community...Just no? That's all you got? I think it's not a crazy thought but certainly the responses delivered so far are not wrong in thought either...I'm thinking about a more modern 911 and the GTS checks almost all the boxes. When I looked at what form GTS I could be swayed either way and lean toward a convertible but the Targa is one of the rarest 991.1 911s as stated earlier. Twenty years from now based exclusively on the "rarity" factor this could be a nice investment. Before some folks go ballistic on me about investment versus just a toy, I hear you because me personally won't likely be driving 20 years from now. I'm not 25 anymore.

The Targa driving experience has gotten mixed reviews and I drove the 997 Targa years ago and it didn't move me but I know the 991 GTS is a completely different car so "just saying". These are high class problems so looking forward to the responses.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:53 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes
*Personal Opinion
Old 11-25-2017, 09:57 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveRiversGTS
Yes
*Personal Opinion
a little biased?
Old 11-25-2017, 10:05 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bklyn964Turbo
We've got 3 "No" votes in a row...I'm looking to be enlightened either from a fact base or just personal opinion or POV...come on Rennlist mates...if ever there was a POV that anyone would listen to it would certainly come from this community...Just no? That's all you got? I think it's not a crazy thought but certainly the responses delivered so far are not wrong in thought either...I'm thinking about a more modern 911 and the GTS checks almost all the boxes. When I looked at what form GTS I could be swayed either way and lean toward a convertible but the Targa is one of the rarest 991.1 911s as stated earlier. Twenty years from now based exclusively on the "rarity" factor this could be a nice investment. Before some folks go ballistic on me about investment versus just a toy, I hear you because me personally won't likely be driving 20 years from now. I'm not 25 anymore.

The Targa driving experience has gotten mixed reviews and I drove the 997 Targa years ago and it didn't move me but I know the 991 GTS is a completely different car so "just saying". These are high class problems so looking forward to the responses.
I always get a kick out of guys patting themselves on the back for giving out investment soundbytes a'la "Never buy a car as an investment.... all cars depreciate.... blah blah." Firstly, many cars are selling now for more than what they were 20 years ago (most of them 911's).

Secondly, nobody has to MAKE money when it comes to cars, in order to make money. If 2 of us buy a car for $120K, and in 5 years one sells it for $50K, and the other for $100K, well that's a $50K return relative to depreciation. Appreciation isn't the only way to come out ahead in the car market. Ask .1 buyers who bought their cars 2 years ago and have seen their market values rise to over what they paid, or 993 drivers, or E39 drivers, or on the other side of the coin: M6 or AMG buyers who spent $100++K (well, most lease those cars, which is a major reason why they depreciate into an abyss) only to see their cars selling for fully loaded Accord prices in less than 5 years.

Especially in the 911 world, it's perfectly reasonable to factor depreciation mitigation or even appreciation into the buying process. I'd way rather my $100K purchase sell for $80K than for $40K in the near future. Or it have some special designation, and/or collectibility, and/or "thing" about it that can lead to appreciation in the long future.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:15 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bklyn964Turbo
Just no? That's all you got?
This is the sort of question where "no" is the default response, and a reasonable one. Most cars do not become collectors items. Most 911's do not become collectors items. It's arguably a matter of whim, and thus quite difficult to predict. Most of the time, there's no rational reason for it.

Thus, anything other than "no" really requires an extraordinary justification, and at this point, it's hard to see what would single out the 991.1 Targa GTS over later cars. And don't say "because NA," because that's a knee-jerk resistance-to-change thing that's local to this board. Most people are perfectly happy with a 991.2 GTS, and will almost certainly be happy with the 992 GTS when it arrives, barring a sudden round of dementia among Porsche engineers.

As for Targas vs. other models - there aren't many made, but I don't think there's a lot of pent up demand for them. They're funky, but honestly, I'd rather have either a coupe or cabriolet. The thick B pillars mean rear visibility is worse than the coupe, and with the top down you're not getting that much more open sky than optional glass sunroof in a coupe. If you really care about the open air experience, you get a cabriolet.

It doesn't help that they're all AWD, and the heaviest variant available. I personally like AWD, but I'm aware that a lot of 911 drivers would rather have RWD. While I'll grant that the weight thing is probably over-emphasized among potential buyers, I will say that the 991.1 Targa S I test drove last year felt a tad slow compared the the C2S's I tried.

Those who love them swear by them, and I won't fault anyone who loves his - but they're still a bit of a niche market.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:22 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeles
a little biased?
Partially. I have a GTS Coupe.
In retrospect wish I had the Targa 4 GTS.
More so because I like the looks and not because I believe it’s an investment.

But while perusing the market I see a lack of 991.1 Targa GTS Available for purchase and even those are holding value strongly.

I am new to Porsche and have been an owner for about 3 years only. But I agree as stated above that lack of depreciation can in a way be considered an investment especially with my personal experience owning an S55 AMG! Great car but absolutely a waste of $. Based solely on that purchase every Porsche looks like a great deal to me.

I definitely understand the OP’s mindset on this as a gut feeling.

Again I am no expert but thought I would express my personal opinion. I guess we can check this thread in 20 years time.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:23 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,877 Likes on 1,531 Posts

No. Might be a great car, but highly unlikely to ever be 'collectable'.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:37 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

If any 991s are ever sort of collectable and depreciate less it will probably be low miles .1 manual gts coupes especially with no sunroof.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:42 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Thus, anything other than "no" really requires an extraordinary justification, and at this point, it's hard to see what would single out the 991.1 Targa GTS over later cars. And don't say "because NA," because that's a knee-jerk resistance-to-change thing that's local to this board. Most people are perfectly happy with a 991.2 GTS, and will almost certainly be happy with the 992 GTS when it arrives, barring a sudden round of dementia among Porsche engineers..
Clearly you haven't followed the air cooled or .1 used prices within the past couple of years. The factual assessment of the free market (the only one that matters) has disagreed.

In the long term used car world, "knee-jerk-resistance-to-change" is usually what makes $$$$. And don't assume that because you're ok with the turbos and their character- or to a chunk, lack thereof that comes with them, everyone else must be. Market/sales data and Porsche's entire reason to keep GT cars N/A speaks differently.

Quick Reply: Future Collectible Targa GTS 991.1