Sponsored by:

Future Collectible Targa GTS 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 02:46 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by aduong
I was starting to get disappointed with the brief no responses yesterday. Thanks brklyn964 for generating momentum into opinions.

i donÂ’t intend on keeping it for more than 4 years but would be a nice surprise when I go to sell and it depreciates less than a turbo or any 991 cab.

Better question would be ... I bought the car for X with X miles. MSRP is X, how much do you think it will be worth in 4yrs with X mileage.

Seems like you may not even make it to 4yrs
Old 11-26-2017, 03:16 PM
aduong
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

STG,
LOL, you are right I prob wont make 4 years. When I bought my C2s, 2012 CPO, I thought I would keep it for a Looong time. Nope 2 years 20k miles.. later here I am.

Slow is relative of course.. still faster than 95% of cars although the masses are catching up.. I remember when the 997.1 came out and they quoted 4.2sec 0-60 and I thought damn that is really fast, now to get the same response it is the low 3's which the 991.2's can do. There are so many sedans that are almost as fast 0-60, My s550 with all that torque feels similar in speed.. of course apples and oranges..
.My thought was I wont got to jail if I got the targa since turbo s is so quick... and I can enjoy the process of getting to speed. I had a ride in the turbo s launch control- that was dangerous fast.. I think I would be happier with a 991.2 targa or wait until 992 targa Gts. I just bought the car 3 months ago 4k miles, CPO 1 owner Agate grey.. Love the looks though. it would be stupid for me to go 991.2 targa GTS 2017 or 18 right now. Although I have been monitoring F12 prices. starting to come down with the 812.. but I would still need a DD.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:45 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

If you’re playing the “slow is relative” game and want to brag about 0-60 numbers from magazines just get a Hellcat. Porsches or Ferraris are a waste of money if it’s about “bragging rights” and overcompensation.
The following users liked this post:
Newusername (02-28-2022)
Old 11-26-2017, 03:49 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Not right now I hope. Wait for a correction.
Originally Posted by tse
One never knows...
Originally Posted by Dewinator
Well sure nobody can predict the future, but you can see where it is right now. There will always be highs and lows. Buy on a low not a high.
Not to go off topic but no need to wait buying SPY and your other favorite Dividend Stocks. Just buy X$ /week or /month. Works great for DCA investment since your not selling anytime soon with a 20-30 yr horizon.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:57 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveRiversGTS
Not to go off topic but no need to wait buying SPY and your other favorite Dividend Stocks. Just buy X$ /week or /month. Works great for DCA investment since your not selling anytime soon with a 20-30 yr horizon.
Good point.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:45 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I'm sorry, did used 991.1's suddenly start selling above MSRP recently? I somehow missed that.

As for projecting personal tastes on the market, maybe you should look in the mirror.
I already explained this in detail. This year, early/used .1’s have been selling for higher than they were a year or two ago. Common knowledge amongst active or even casual .1 shoppers (hard not to notice). A 2013 model for example is selling for more today than it was last November. Supported by Manheim pricing which had been posted fairly recently in the HFS thread. I’ve seen lots of people who bought .2’s state that .1 used prices so closely encroaching on new .2 turf swayed them to do so.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:06 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Yada, yada, yada.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:57 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,274 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by 4pipes
Yada, yada, yada.
Loved that episode...
Old 11-27-2017, 10:19 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

Some topics in this forum is like watching CNN and Fox News. Facts aren't available so the news becomes irrelevant and the slanted opinions of the respective network are now the gospel. In the end, no one agrees and consensus is never achieved.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:05 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
Some topics in this forum is like watching CNN and Fox News. Facts aren't available so the news becomes irrelevant and the slanted opinions of the respective network are now the gospel. In the end, no one agrees and consensus is never achieved.
Actually what’s happening is people have laid out various forms of factual market data and are using that to try and predict the future value of a car, a car which many have put their own money where their mouth is for. Gains, losses, smart or not smart “investment” aside; no difference in concept than analysts or investors buying or recommending a stock based on past performance + future speculation.

This really isn’t very hard, people.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:28 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Actually what’s happening is people have laid out various forms of factual market data and are using that to try and predict the future value of a car, a car which many have put their own money where their mouth is for. Gains, losses, smart or not smart “investment” aside; no difference in concept than analysts or investors buying or recommending a stock based on past performance + future speculation.

This really isnÂ’t very hard, people.
Yes but your data is for near term, includes people who are like you who may have preferred to purchase the NA engine car, similar to the c6 z06 (last 427 and NA zo6), e92 M3 (obvious). Both of those cars held strong value for year or two or even longer, but they've started to drop like all modern mass produced cars.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:14 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dude174
Yes but your data is for near term, includes people who are like you who may have preferred to purchase the NA engine car, similar to the c6 z06 (last 427 and NA zo6), e92 M3 (obvious). Both of those cars held strong value for year or two or even longer, but they've started to drop like all modern mass produced cars.
I wouldn’t say they’ve started to drop. Even within winter (which is always a decline time) they’re still higher than they were a year ago.

Part of the data points I referenced are examples of air cooled cars (as well as how poorly old Targas fared within them for that matter). So using a near term example of how the used market has factually spoken the moment .1’s went out of production (I consider it a precursor) + the constant, near always-example of a type of purist aspect of Porsche going extinct, I think betting that a .1 will at the very least see far less depreciation than 911 Carreras after it is about as reasonable as most of our investment bets, and as plausible as some of our more confident investment bets.

Nobody should buy a car SOLELY for depreciation (or lack thereof) but nothing wrong with buying something that can net you less loss. I personally invest in several things so naturally I start trying to look at a car the same way. Does it have anything going for it that will keep it revered in a nostalgic and/or purist way? Is it a collectible? Numbered? Etc. A Porsche N/A GT car will always be in the money. And I think a .1 Carrera has a strong “card” a’la 993, because it is quite literally the last and technically best non-GT naturally aspirated 911 in history, and will likely remain that way.

There are are many ways to have your money work for you (most of us I’d imagine buy things that are good deals and use CC’s to earn money back on the money we spend?). If you like a car and it has some designation about it that will allow it some bragging rights to help it in its aging process, then great! Icing on the cake. Nothing wrong with or “stupid” about that. LOTS of even normal cars are going up in value these days. As we enter into the EV automated world, purist enthusiast driven models (determined by the free market) will continue to soar.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:58 PM
Nala
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I wouldn’t say they’ve started to drop. Even within winter (which is always a decline time) they’re still higher than they were a year ago.

Part of the data points I referenced are examples of air cooled cars (as well as how poorly old Targas fared within them for that matter). So using a near term example of how the used market has factually spoken the moment .1’s went out of production (I consider it a precursor) + the constant, near always-example of a
type of purist aspect of Porsche going extinct, I think betting that a .1 will at the very least see far less depreciation than 911 Carreras after it is about as reasonable as most of our investment bets, and as plausible as some of our more confident investment bets.

Nobody should buy a car SOLELY for depreciation (or lack thereof) but nothing wrong with buying something that can net you less loss. I personally invest in several things so naturally I start trying to look at a car the same way. Does it have anything going for it that will keep it revered in a nostalgic and/or purist way? Is it a collectible? Numbered? Etc. A Porsche N/A GT car will always be in the money. And I think a .1 Carrera has a strong “card” a’la 993, because it is quite literally the last and technically best non-GT naturally aspirated 911 in history, and will likely remain that way.

There are are many ways to have your money work for you (most of us I’d imagine buy things that are good deals and use CC’s to earn money back on the money we spend?). If you like a car and it has some designation about it that will allow it some bragging rights to help it in its aging process, then great! Icing on the cake. Nothing wrong with or “stupid” about that. LOTS of even normal cars are going up in value these days. As we enter into the EV automated world, purist enthusiast driven models (determined by the free market) will continue to soar.
Dude , we got it, you made the best investment in the world by getting a .1

Let's move on Ya?
Old 11-27-2017, 10:04 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nala
Dude , we got it, you made the best investment in the world by getting a .1

Let's move on Ya?
No.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:12 PM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jzips
The coupe stands a decent chance. I just sold a 2013 Cadillac CTS V Wagon with 30k miles for only $7k less than I bought it for brand new. Those cars are going up, because they are awesome and there’s nothing new that’s comparable. The 991.1 GTS coupe feels like it has a decent chance to hold value really well because it’s the best of the last non GT3 n/a 911 cars. People will care about that. But i doubt they’ll want the targa, with its extra hundreds and hundreds of pounds up top. The market will most likely be enthusiast driven and they won’t want targa weight. Of course, nobody knows for sure. But you can’t buy a n/a (non GT3) 911 anymore and that will mean something to enthusiasts who want the sound and engine character of a n/a 911.
Jzips I think the CTS V Wagon is awesome but there are a few reasons it might be (key word might) appreciating. It's an awesomely powerful car therefore fun to drive and a hoot by station wagon standards. Next is they were made in limited numbers from the start and now...not only have they stop making them the entire CTS line is now extinct. It's not that there isn't anything new that is comparable because there are plenty. You might disagree and tell me I am crazy and that's okay but here are the comparable:
  1. Porsche Panamera Sport Tourismo
  2. Porsche Panamera
  3. Audi A5 Sportback
  4. Audi S5 Sportback
  5. Audi A7
  6. Audi S7
  7. Mercedes E 400 Wagon
  8. Mercedes E63 Wagon
The new A5 Sportbacks might be a stretch and of the 8 listed only half of them could run with the big American V8 muscle but all can be argued as comparable is my point. I do love that car by wagon standards...
Love the banter and what has convinced me to rethink other than the obvious of my crystal ball ain't exactly crystal clear are the 993 Targa numbers...they are lower but the C2S, Turbo and Turbo S are worth more...why? More fun to drive! Anyhow...my two cents..this is fun.

Last edited by Bklyn964Turbo; 11-30-2017 at 11:12 PM. Reason: fix format

Quick Reply: Future Collectible Targa GTS 991.1