Sponsored by:

Future Collectible Targa GTS 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 11:09 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Clearly you haven't followed the air cooled or .1 used prices within the past couple of years. The factual assessment of the free market (the only one that matters) has disagreed.

In the long term used car world, "knee-jerk-resistance-to-change" is usually what makes $$$$. And don't assume that because you're ok with the turbos and their character- or to a chunk, lack thereof that comes with them, everyone else must be. Market/sales data and Porsche's entire reason to keep GT cars N/A speaks differently.
Dang, you came out swinging as always!
I am guessing less-than-usual depreciation over similar turbo cars, simply because there will be less and less of the NA and more and more of the turbo variants (next 10 years). Over the ensuing 10, some lower mileage examples may start climbing back up but not ever get close to MSRP.
No one will “make” money when you factor in maintenance, taxes, insurance, and the “lost opportunity” of the money spent buying the car that could otherwise have been invested and appreciated.
That said, I do not give a **** about making or losing money! Each drive is epic.
When we kick and end up 6 feet under, all money will be lost, live as you wish, in the meantime...
The following users liked this post:
d-- (12-11-2021)
Old 11-25-2017, 11:24 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Collectable: likely not

Desirable: likely yes
Old 11-25-2017, 11:29 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Dang, you came out swinging as always!
I am guessing less-than-usual depreciation over similar turbo cars, simply because there will be less and less of the NA and more and more of the turbo variants (next 10 years). Over the ensuing 10, some lower mileage examples may start climbing back up but not ever get close to MSRP.
No one will €œmake €ť money when you factor in maintenance, taxes, insurance, and the €œlost opportunity €ť of the money spent buying the car that could otherwise have been invested and appreciated.
That said, I do not give a **** about making or losing money! Each drive is epic.
When we kick and end up 6 feet under, all money will be lost, live as you wish, in the meantime...
Haha, yezzir.... facts are facts.

Someone should try telling 993 guys or slow azz 70's/80's base Carrera's about "knee jerk reactions" as they chuckle about prices rising to or surpassing levels of brand new 911's.

Buying a car to make money is usually dumb (or can be smart, see Testarassa's which I was eyeing for $40K in 2011, now going for over $200K), but factoring in mitigated depreciation, or possibly eventual appreciation however is reasonable. The last of the N/A cars are the last of the N/A cars, already written in history, no ones taking that away from them. Buying a stock is a risk in itself. Who knows where even Apple can be in 15 years. IMO, looking at cars like stocks, excluding collectibles or GT cars and the like, a .1 is probably the best risk/reward I can think of. A Targa based solely on being a Targa? Not so much.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

No.

The reason why there are so few out there is because there isn’t as much demand for them.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:00 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

K-A, you seem to keep asserting that 991.1s from 2 years ago are selling for more than we paid for them new, or am I misreading those quotes? Cuz I didn't get that memo. Traded my '15 GTS no-sunroof coupe (136MSRP) and the dealer asked $115 for it -- don't know what he got but it was on his website more than a month, so likely less than 115k.

Did he leave $30,000 on the table?
Old 11-26-2017, 12:04 AM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

My car will appreciate like gang busters because it’s the coolest car out there as one of the last ICE available. Unfortunately, I will have died a long time ago.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:14 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
K-A, you seem to keep asserting that 991.1s from 2 years ago are selling for more than we paid for them new, or am I misreading those quotes? Cuz I didn't get that memo. Traded my '15 GTS no-sunroof coupe (136MSRP) and the dealer asked $115 for it -- don't know what he got but it was on his website more than a month, so likely less than 115k.

Did he leave $30,000 on the table?
Not new (of course), but early models (Carreras) a'la 2013's are going for more today than they were 1-2 years ago. HFS thread is full of countless examples of that fact (including now 1 year older cars with more mileage showing higher Manheim transactions than they did 1 year ago with lower mileage), as well as my own experience of actively following the 911 market since 2012 (TBH, even 2012.5's and 2013's aren't THAT much cheaper than they were back when I was looking 4 years ago).

In 2013 I was looking at .1 C2's and 6 Series' that both MSRP'd at around $100K. Countless 2013 C2's are still being advertised (and selling pretty quickly) in the $70's, while those 650i's are going for $30's and $40's. I just find it interesting when 911 owners look past countless data points as to how these cars buck trends or actually have markets that reward especially enthusiast driven models. It's hard to find anything that sells as much as a 911 and competes with a reasonable (MSRP) builds depreciation curve.

Of course, a $150K 911 that's not a GT3 will see a lot of depreciation from new, but even that will significantly outperform other cars that sell in near or equal volume that MSRP for the same price.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:29 AM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

The coupe stands a decent chance. I just sold a 2013 Cadillac CTS V Wagon with 30k miles for only $7k less than I bought it for brand new. Those cars are going up, because they are awesome and there’s nothing new that’s comparable. The 991.1 GTS coupe feels like it has a decent chance to hold value really well because it’s the best of the last non GT3 n/a 911 cars. People will care about that. But i doubt they’ll want the targa, with its extra hundreds and hundreds of pounds up top. The market will most likely be enthusiast driven and they won’t want targa weight. Of course, nobody knows for sure. But you can’t buy a n/a (non GT3) 911 anymore and that will mean something to enthusiasts who want the sound and engine character of a n/a 911.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:53 AM
See U n RearView
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think drive what you like, and if it becomes collectable, all the better...
Old 11-26-2017, 03:00 AM
Nala
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Not new (of course), but early models (Carreras) a'la 2013's are going for more today than they were 1-2 years ago. HFS thread is full of countless examples of that fact (including now 1 year older cars with more mileage showing higher Manheim transactions than they did 1 year ago with lower mileage), as well as my own experience of actively following the 911 market since 2012 (TBH, even 2012.5's and 2013's aren't THAT much cheaper than they were back when I was looking 4 years ago).

In 2013 I was looking at .1 C2's and 6 Series' that both MSRP'd at around $100K. Countless 2013 C2's are still being advertised (and selling pretty quickly) in the $70's, while those 650i's are going for $30's and $40's. I just find it interesting when 911 owners look past countless data points as to how these cars buck trends or actually have markets that reward especially enthusiast driven models. It's hard to find anything that sells as much as a 911 and competes with a reasonable (MSRP) builds depreciation curve.

Of course, a $150K 911 that's not a GT3 will see a lot of depreciation from new, but even that will significantly outperform other cars that sell in near or equal volume that MSRP for the same price.
But I'm pretty sure 100 years later they are all gonna be shooting up in values tho. So should I get a .1 or a summer cottage? Hmmm.. tough choice
Old 11-26-2017, 05:59 AM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

Every car I've owned for the last 5 years has had topics like this in their respective forums. Seriously... does it matter? Where will you be in 40 years and will you own this car still?

What I will say is I purchased an old air cooled 911 this month. Targas have are the lowest priced examples. When new, they were more expensive than coupes. Today, they are considerably cheaper to find in similar age and condition.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:21 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nala
But I'm pretty sure 100 years later they are all gonna be shooting up in values tho. So should I get a .1 or a summer cottage? Hmmm.. tough choice
Screw twiddling your thumbs for 100 years. Buy a Delorean, convert to Time Machine, travel to 2014, sell Delorean, buy crypto currency, sell some, use the profits to pay for a low mileage CPO .1, drive it for a couple of years, sell it for more than you paid, start shopping for cottage.
The following users liked this post:
JimmyJ357 (02-25-2023)
Old 11-26-2017, 10:25 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

this is the most extreme example , but a fun thought experiment :
if one had bought $125,00 of Netflix stock 10 yrs ago this month vs even a brand new " more short term value holding/ collectible" 2008 997.1 GT3 the unrealized gain on the Netflix stock would be worth $7.8 MILLION today vs " gee , looking at current asking prices I think I did ok on my decision to buy the GT3 vs the Carrera S " etc ....so it's best to buy and enjoy these expensive ( from opportunity cost) toys w your spare cash and put your real money to work for you 24/7/365 !!

Bottom line : buy the 911 model type ,options, color config that pushes your buttons ONLY, and don't even bother thinking about keeping it OCD pristine for its trade in value or next owner ...the market couldn't care less that one never drove it on a cloudy day , much less rain , and esp since 90% per cent are just traded in ..even by uber enthusiasts ..to dealer who wont even look more than 20 seconds on the walk around I.e., never spend every residual spare or borrowed dollar ( excluding maxed out retirement acct investments ) on a pricy fun car car if you are otherwise not investing with your aftertax dollars

Last edited by MKW; 11-26-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:40 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Unfortunately, production numbers don't drive value. 993 Targas are just average value in the 993 range. C2S and Turbos rule for collectability but there are more of them ?

So..... you GTS could end up being very highly desired. Not sure the Targa will help just because it's more rare
Old 11-26-2017, 10:59 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Clearly you haven't followed the air cooled or .1 used prices within the past couple of years.
I'm sorry, did used 991.1's suddenly start selling above MSRP recently? I somehow missed that.

As for projecting personal tastes on the market, maybe you should look in the mirror.

Quick Reply: Future Collectible Targa GTS 991.1