Sponsored by:

Future Collectible Targa GTS 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 11:39 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,523 Likes on 955 Posts

Let’s assume for the sake of argument that it will someday become collectible and very valuable. If this is the case, then the cars that command a premium will be those that are hardly driven. They will be pristine, low-mileage cars. If you want one of those high value cars, then you’ll have to store your Targa and keep it maintained and perfect for 20+ years, and you’ll hardly ever drive it. At the end of this long wait, maybe you’ll be able to sell it for what you paid for it. Maybe you’ll even make a few bucks. You’ll miss out on 20+ years of wonderful driving experience, but you’ll make a few bucks.

I don’t see the point. It’s a car. Drive it and enjoy it, and don’t worry about the future value. If you’re stressed out about driving the car because it might impact future values, then you won’t enjoy the car.
The following users liked this post:
d-- (12-11-2021)
Old 11-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Nala
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^
Old 11-26-2017, 12:10 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 283 Posts

here you go, I found you a nice collectible targa gts 991.1

Old 11-26-2017, 12:10 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I'm sorry, did used 991.1's suddenly start selling above MSRP recently? I somehow missed that.

As for projecting personal tastes on the market, maybe you should look in the mirror.
I think that last year (and the year before) early 991.1 models held their prices a little stronger because they depreciated quicker than they should have initially in 2014 and 2015. This is what brought me into a two year old 991S in the first place when the price wasn't too far off from a loaded (non-Z06) C7 Corvette. This past year they continue to depreciate just like all cars do - they are certainly not increasing in value. Even 50th anniversary cars that were MSRP two years ago have seen drops to below MSRP. GTS prices continue to fall, too, although they still hold a premium over S models of course (I have watched the prices of several 991.1's, including GTS's that were over priced, drop and drop again over the summer - I have had dealers reaching out to me drop their prices via email, too.).

I have owned two 991.1S's, including one bought through the HFS thread and follow prices as much as any one on here who is lurking in the HFS thread. I have been used as an example of strong prices. Not so - I could easily have bought an S for the price I paid last year with similar years and miles except I was looking at a unicorn. GTS prices were simply higher than I wanted to pay for a used car that carried more risk in terms of condition and risk. That depreciation on a five or six model year old car is slowing should not be a surprise to anyone, even a modern 911. But they are certainly not increasing in value.

I think the 991.1 is a terrific car and am not suggesting otherwise. It is simply too early to judge its value based on its NA characteristics and certainly due to the large numbers that were made. I don't think that you should compare a 993 or earlier models to forecast 991.1 desirability in the future either - their values are supported by a lot of nostalgia and the poor reception (over time) to its successor, the 996.

STG said it best for the 991.1 Targa desirable, likely yes, collectible, likely not.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:12 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Let’s assume for the sake of argument that it will someday become collectible and very valuable. If this is the case, then the cars that command a premium will be those that are hardly driven. They will be pristine, low-mileage cars. If you want one of those high value cars, then you’ll have to store your Targa and keep it maintained and perfect for 20+ years, and you’ll hardly ever drive it. At the end of this long wait, maybe you’ll be able to sell it for what you paid for it. Maybe you’ll even make a few bucks. You’ll miss out on 20+ years of wonderful driving experience, but you’ll make a few bucks.

I don’t see the point. It’s a car. Drive it and enjoy it, and don’t worry about the future value. If you’re stressed out about driving the car because it might impact future values, then you won’t enjoy the car.
^ this
Old 11-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8

Old 11-26-2017, 12:37 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8

That about sums it up.

No maintenance, no insurance, no garage space, no worries. Put on the shelf and enjoy. But hey, do not crack open the box. Will depreciate 20% on the spot.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:15 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

If low production numbers equalled collectability, the endurance racing edition guy would have everyone beat. Line Green Metallic owners would too.

Models that become collectable are those that are made in low numbers, but also one of two things:

1. Higher performance. So like 993 Turbo S or today’s GT2/3. Since the Targa is heavier with the same engine, this doesn’t fit.

2. More simple/light/raw versions like a manual or the Speedster vs a Cab. Again not the Targa.

The Targa is meant to be enjoyed, not stuffed away in a garage for future collectability. As a Targa owner this is a good thing because you get to drive it all you want because it’ll depreciate either way. Enjoy!
Old 11-26-2017, 01:25 PM
Daekwan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C

Well said. The entire point of buying the car is to enjoy driving it.

Not driving it and waiting 20+ years.. especially when Tomorrow is not guaranteed for anyone.. just seems silly.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:41 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,274 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan
Not driving it and waiting 20+ years.. especially when Tomorrow is not guaranteed for anyone.. just seems silly.
Beyond silly, better off just buying SPY and hold for twenty years.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:45 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by tse
Beyond silly, better off just buying SPY and hold for twenty years.
Not right now I hope. Wait for a correction.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:48 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,274 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Not right now I hope. Wait for a correction.
One never knows...
Old 11-26-2017, 01:56 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by tse
One never knows...
Well sure nobody can predict the future, but you can see where it is right now. There will always be highs and lows. Buy on a low not a high.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:22 PM
aduong
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I was starting to get disappointed with the brief no responses yesterday. Thanks brklyn964 for generating momentum into opinions.

i don’t intend on keeping it for more than 4 years but would be a nice surprise when I go to sell and it depreciates less than a turbo or any 991 cab.

certainly not my reason for buying the car because it potentially depreciates less. Just love the looks and I drive it hard every day to hear the engine scream. One of the reasons I didn’t get the turbo s which was my original choice until dealer said they have a sweet car to consider instead and would be sold before arriving, which is when I bought it.

however, I concur the car is “slow”. It was a little disappointing at first even compared to my 991.1c2s.pdk, it just doesn’t have the oomph even higher end in rpm and takes forever to get over 100mph+ without neraby cars knowing I am speeding since the PSE is loud.

It seems all are in agreement to enjoy what you drive and and not worry about depreciation, life is short and live it to its fullest. Kinda like bitcoin, quite the ride, don’t mind to losing my bet, high risk high return.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:43 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by aduong

however, I concur the car is “slow”. It was a little disappointing at first even compared to my 991.1c2s.pdk, it just doesn’t have the oomph even higher end in rpm and takes forever to get over 100mph+ without neraby cars knowing I am speeding since the PSE is loud.

SLOW ???

Quick Reply: Future Collectible Targa GTS 991.1