Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the new Tesla Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 11:32 AM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
It may be the future (hope not), but I have never liked the notion that 500lbs of "dirty" batteries built into every car is really much cleaner for the environment. Tesla bill their cars as zero emissions,....clearly that is just not the case.
Couldn't agree more - I mean, what are the emissions of making each of these batteries, and charging them, and in this supposed future where every single car has a massive battery, how will all these get disposed of/recycled?
Old 11-18-2017, 12:55 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
The car enthusiast in me is not interested.

The engineering enthusiast in me is impressed.

The TSLA owner in me hopes Elon collects that $$$$.
You can’t have it both ways you sellout!

Either you’re a car guy or want Tesla to collect....
Old 11-18-2017, 01:23 PM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 0-60, 0-100, range numbers are legit. Tesla doesn't over-claim the numbers. If any, they underclaim the numbers. They can engineer the battery for even greater power output.

It's the time that it takes to get the cars into production. Tesla always fail to meet production deadline.

Of course Tesla cant handle or corner like Porsche or BMW. If it does, there would be no point to buy BMW or Porsche.

I personally think Internal combustion engines are on it's way out in 10 or 20 years. Nothing can stop the trend towards electrification of cars.

0-60 is still an important measurement. I would care if i spend over 100k and get beat by 2 seconds.
Quarter mile is 8.8 sec. reminds me of first fast and furious movie where Van Diesel mentioned 10-sec car. LOL.

992 might be last generation with full ICE engines . Just my take.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:18 PM
Cloudplay
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
The 0-60, 0-100, range numbers are legit. Tesla doesn't over-claim the numbers. If any, they underclaim the numbers. They can engineer the battery for even greater power output.
Not sure if 0-60 in 1.9s (on street tyres) passes a smell test. That's 1.4g, which means 0-60mph in 25m. Shortest 60-0 braking distances on street tyres are 27-28m, and I don't see why longitudinal acceleration should be asymmetric. Power is not the issue. Slicks and some downforce might do the trick.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:24 PM
fanboy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time will tell

We'll see when it actually ships. $250K is out of my price range anyway, so I'm not too terribly concerned about how it will affect me personally. There's room in the world for a variety of directions for the future. Personally I'm glad to see an electric sports car; not yet another sedan or boring commuter-mobile.

But 2020 is awhile away and a lot can happen both in the market and to Tesla during that time. The Model 3 has yet to ship in quantity and there's a whole lot of people they need to satisfy first...
Old 11-18-2017, 03:33 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Can I order a sports exhaust as an option, or play it only I phone? Otherwise, no thanks!
Old 11-18-2017, 03:48 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,202 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by fanboy
But 2020 is awhile away and a lot can happen both in the market and to Tesla during that time.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/17/tesl...-bob-lutz.html
Old 11-18-2017, 04:04 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 544 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
Couldn't agree more - I mean, what are the emissions of making each of these batteries, and charging them, and in this supposed future where every single car has a massive battery, how will all these get disposed of/recycled?
Mining for metals to make engine parts isn't exactly eco-friendly either. What are the emissions for mining all the metal, melting it into castings (a lot of power and heat required), machining, etc. And of course, drilling for oil, refining, transporting, etc. The technology involved to recycle the batteries is well-understood.

This is just one result I found in a quick google search:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ling_batteries
Old 11-18-2017, 04:09 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it available with a stick?
Old 11-18-2017, 06:06 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
You can €™t have it both ways you sellout!

Either you €™re a car guy or want Tesla to collect....
Am. So. Torn. Brain. Overheating.

I’d say if Bob Lutz says a company is “doing great,” then that company should run in the other direction and change everything they’re doing. I don’t think there was a worse period for any car manufacturer than his years at GM.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Due to begin deliveries in 2020. You need to put down a $50K deposit towards the $200K price unless you want one of the 1st 1000.

For the 1st 1000 the cost is $250K. You pay via a $5K credit card charge with the $245K to follow as a bank wire transfer within 10 days.

Might be interesting to note (according to what I read in Barron's) Tesla is burning $1.5B in cash every quarter and as of September it has just $3.5B of cash ("unrestricted cash") on hand.

$200K let alone $250K is a lot of money to bet Tesla being able to deliver the roadster come 2020.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:32 PM
tomato coupe
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There sure are a lot of Debbie Downers on this forum. If you don't like the car, don't buy it. Time will tell if Tesla makes it or goes bust.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:56 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
This is what is uppermost in my mind. Not that it's an electric sports car, I'm all for owning one of those, it's that it's built by Tesla, and they shaved corners on the Model S to the point where it can't handle the thermal load of a full lap. It's not an intrinsic limitation of electric cars, it's Tesla's engineering compromises.

The price is too high, of course. I think I might find myself torn if it were priced in the $100k-$150k range, though I'd still have a nagging doubt about it because of Tesla's build quality issues. It will have one major advantage over the Mission E, the Supercharger network. Porsche is not going to build one of their own, and I don't see them paying Tesla to buy into Tesla's.

As for the many knee-jerk responses in this thread... it's Rennlist. At this point, I've reconciled myself to the idea that this board is ridiculously resistant to change, period.
Agreed. You can’t really fully exploit 0-60 in 1.9 on the street, but the ability to maintain that performance over the course of a track day without meltdown is a big question mark.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:03 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Day
WOW --- 0-60 in 1.9 --- WOW

Prediction: 50% of Tesla owners die within 30 days of taking delivery.
I hope not. But if the demographic it attracts is not people like us who work on our driving skills, but people who bought it because they are wealthy and want to show off despite having no other high performance car seat time, a lot of them could self-destruct.

The other worry is that pedestrians will not be able to cope with a car that fast and yet virtually silent. Could sneak up on a lot of people.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:06 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Agreed. You can’t really fully exploit 0-60 in 1.9 on the street, but the ability to maintain that performance over the course of a track day without meltdown is a big question mark.
I haven’t ridden in one of the hyper speed Tesla’s, but I’ve heard that the sensation of insane acceleration isn’t very gratifying, because (as they put it) unlike a gas engine where you can hear it whilst feel the power come on in a line that isn’t sidewalk flat, EV hyper acceleration feels more like reverse braking. I.e just brutal G forces in the same unpleasant way you feel when stomping on the brakes. Imagine sub 2 seconds.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new Tesla Roadster