Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the new Tesla Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:31 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Now all Tesla has to do is survive until it goes into production.
By "it" I mean the sports car, not the Model 3.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:35 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Lol, many of us lost our minds when Porsche went turbo... battery powered is another 10 clicks towards not interested.

It it will sell well though
Old 11-17-2017, 12:39 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Rumored to weigh over 4K pounds.... that will effect cornering. The old one was only 2700 pounds.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:50 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Like it or not... This is the future.

If anyone needs to be worried about what the next 10 years will bring, it's truck and cab drivers. I personally foresee those industries being the first to go completely autonomous. In the next 20-30 years, it probably won't be legal to manually drive a vehicle within big cities or populated urban areas.

We will probably always be able to enjoy our combustion powered sports cars in some way or another but it won't be the same as it is today.

If you actually try to imagine the following scenario; It's 2017 and there are no cars or pubic roadways yet. But today someone proposes the idea of allowing humans to pilot 2 ton pieces of metal with combustable fuel tanks at high speeds on multi-lane roads where at any moment the driver could make an error that results in massive loss of life.

^ We would all think this proposition is insane. But because it's something we have grown up with and see as part of our daily lives, we accept it. Quite honestly, it's amazing it all works as well as it does.

My point is that if you try to imagine proposing an accepted practice by today's standard, such as personal transportation, as a new idea and by doing so, that "new" idea sounds crazy, you know you have identified something that is a prime target for massive disruption.

Personal transportation will be massively disrupted in the next few decades.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Those are quite impressive numbers. I'm interested to see how the Mission-E will stack up against it.

I think the car will be fun for doing launches and impressing your friends, but the lack of soul like others have stated will make the car bland in the eyes of most motoring enthusiasts.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:04 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those who are interested have their Porsches, Lamborghinis, or Ferrari.
This will compete with the Mission E, a bigger car.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:14 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm interested but I'm not the target market at $250K...

I've driven and ridden in Teslas and they are cool. I even bought an electric beater to save my 991 from potholes and daily grind.... That acceleration is amazing to experience. Do they corner like a porsche? No. Does your porsche get hustled at 100% all the time? No.

I'd venture a tesla driver probably extracts more out of his car that we do, daily... Not many places in my commute I can let the 991 off leash, 5 seconds here, 3 seconds there, one on ramp ? The tesla can play the silly warp speed acceleration game whenever there's a gap... Not that they do though, they mostly drive like Prius people here...

Anyway, at the end of the day I agree with you all... It might handle, it might accelerate fast, but it won't be a great track car.. But 1.9 sec 0-60 is faster than gravity can make you fall off a cliff so it'll be fun for that... Price is nuts though.... Realistically it should be the same as a Model S...
Old 11-17-2017, 01:22 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Kodak had the same negative reactions with digital sensors...
Old 11-17-2017, 01:23 PM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I like it and would love to get one but not to replace the Porsche or any other car. It would be a fun addition to add variety. If I had a bigger garage, I would love to have my fully built sti and 911 TTS paired with a next gen Cayenne TTS, aventador s, and this tesla roadster. I am planning on ordering the cayenne next year when it becomes available but I would love to be able to also add an aventador and the new tesla roadster also. That would really complete my dream garage.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

There is more to driving than 0-60 times
Old 11-17-2017, 01:40 PM
tcbrown
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The $250K price point will be an issue for a lot of folks unless it delivers more than just quick acceleration times. You don't need to spend that much just to go fast in a straight line.
However, even if it handles as well as a Prius it would actually blow most of our cars away on the track. Not as much fun in the process but quicker none the less.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:47 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Rumored to weigh over 4K pounds.... that will effect cornering. The old one was only 2700 pounds.
The T edition will weigh 3989lbs, marketed as a limited run!

The “extra outlet†package for faster charging will be optional.

Last edited by Bemo; 11-17-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:53 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Big
Kodak had the same negative reactions with digital sensors...
True! Just like the Swiss watch industry dismissed quartz watches (which they invented, not the Japanese). Who would want a watch without a main spring, intricate gears, etc.?

I have no interest in buying a Tesla roadster, but I think many people will be very interested.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:05 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I think it is an attractive car and the 0-60 would be a blast. I wonder if it can survive a full lap at Willow Springs in race mode or four AX runs in a row. I doubt it can do 50 full power launches in a row with no problems like a 911 Turbo with launch control. Pretty sure it will be an attractive one trick pony.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:58 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
I wonder if it can survive a full lap at Willow Springs in race mode or four AX runs in a row.
This is what is uppermost in my mind. Not that it's an electric sports car, I'm all for owning one of those, it's that it's built by Tesla, and they shaved corners on the Model S to the point where it can't handle the thermal load of a full lap. It's not an intrinsic limitation of electric cars, it's Tesla's engineering compromises.

The price is too high, of course. I think I might find myself torn if it were priced in the $100k-$150k range, though I'd still have a nagging doubt about it because of Tesla's build quality issues. It will have one major advantage over the Mission E, the Supercharger network. Porsche is not going to build one of their own, and I don't see them paying Tesla to buy into Tesla's.

As for the many knee-jerk responses in this thread... it's Rennlist. At this point, I've reconciled myself to the idea that this board is ridiculously resistant to change, period.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new Tesla Roadster