Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to rejuvenate matte black on wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017 | 05:24 PM
K-A
Drifting

Default Any way to rejuvenate matte black on wheels?

My matte HRE Flowforms have some subtle white-ish “fade” in some areas. Assuming the previous owner used too harsh of chemicals or something. It’s only noticeable up close and looks great from afar, also being matte kind of means that a lack of “shine” isn’t a problem. But anyone have any tips or tricks to restore more of a rich black to it from up close?
Old 11-07-2017 | 07:05 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Buy a 991.2, problem solved!

Kidding aside, have you considered contacting HRE Wheels directly for maintenance advice?
Old 11-07-2017 | 07:56 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bemo

Kidding aside, have you considered contacting HRE Wheels directly for maintenance advice?
First call is the one above.

Second idea, and don't laugh: But Vaseline was what Porsche peeps used to use to rejuvenate the finish of the black paint on Fuchs in the days of old. Yes, you'll get a different finish than the original, but it might look okay. YMMV, but it can't hurt if HRE's answer is, "Repaint them."
Old 11-07-2017 | 08:08 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by K-A
My matte HRE Flowforms have some subtle white-ish “fade” in some areas. Assuming the previous owner used too harsh of chemicals or something. It’s only noticeable up close and looks great from afar, also being matte kind of means that a lack of “shine” isn’t a problem. But anyone have any tips or tricks to restore more of a rich black to it from up close?
PM or email me some photos (JurrianT@HREWheels.com), and I'll take a look. Unfortunately you may be right about the harsh cleaners and if that's the case there's not much to do other than to refinish them, but it wouldn't hurt to send them over and I'll have our customer service rep take a look see.

Also just in case the question does arise, yes, I use wheel cleaners, but only ones which are PH Neutral. This is my go-to wheel cleaner that will not cause any fading - http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2m-iron/
Old 11-07-2017 | 08:10 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bemo

Haaah #ZING!

Good idea, will contact them.

Originally Posted by stout
First call is the one above.

Second idea, and don't laugh: But Vaseline was what Porsche peeps used to use to rejuvenate the finish of the black paint on Fuchs in the days of old. Yes, you'll get a different finish than the original, but it might look okay. YMMV, but it can't hurt if HRE's answer is, "Repaint them."
Interesting! Even on matte finishes? I’ll look into that.
Old 11-07-2017 | 08:13 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
PM or email me some photos (JurrianT@HREWheels.com), and I'll take a look. Unfortunately you may be right about the harsh cleaners and if that's the case there's not much to do other than to refinish them, but it wouldn't hurt to send them over and I'll have our customer service rep take a look see.

Also just in case the question does arise, yes, I use wheel cleaners, but only ones which are PH Neutral. This is my go-to wheel cleaner that will not cause any fading - http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2m-iron/

Awesome, thank you! Will send an email and look into that product as well. I currently use ONR Wash/Wax which isn’t really abrasive and according to them is ok for matte. I don’t mind if it “shines” a bit, but as you mentioned, fading is another story.
Old 11-07-2017 | 09:16 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Can't you just have them re-powder coated ?

I would think you could, I had my silver factory rims powder coated black and would think I could have them re-done again if needed.
Old 11-07-2017 | 09:28 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by AF330i
Can't you just have them re-powder coated ?

I would think you could, I had my silver factory rims powder coated black and would think I could have them re-done again if needed.
Absolutely I could. I just would prefer not to, for obvious reasons. Also, the problem isn't even near bad enough for me to want to get them redone. But if there was some "easy brightener" solution, that would be ideal. If it ever gets to the point of bugging me, then refinishing them is on the table. Especially if I have to get the wheels off for something else. But since I'll be caring for them clearly better than the last guy did, hopefully I'll prolong their current condition.
Old 11-07-2017 | 10:13 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

you cant do anything to a matte or flat finish to make it better, you can powder coat it matte and it will be harder and resist better
anything you put on it or any thing you rub it with will make it glossy
Old 11-08-2017 | 12:25 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okbarnett
you cant do anything to a matte or flat finish to make it better
My experience has been different. I was surprised, too—but I am not the only one!

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...nt-long-2.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...on-wheels.html

Originally Posted by K-A
Interesting! Even on matte finishes? I’ll look into that.
Without doubt, you're going to end up with a different finish—but I've seen a lot of really ugly, faded Fuchs made a lot nicer looking with a bit of Vaseline.

Your wheels won't suddenly go "gloss black," but they will pick up a rich "sheen" if they react the way Fuchs typically do. I am looking at an old 951 16x7 in my office right now. It was in so-so condition and looks really nice now. Forget when I did this, but it looks like a brand-new wheel from a few feet away, with what I'd term "soft black" spokes. NO reflections like a gloss black, just some sift highlights. The center section just looks black. Somewhere between flat and satin. Again, can't hurt to try it, and you might end up with something better looking while you think about when/how you want to refinish them.
Old 11-08-2017 | 12:42 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Try Dr Beaseleys. I had HRE FF01 in matt finish. They also had a whitish cast. This stuff cleaned them and left a great matt finish. I was told there is nothing you can do. This stuff really works.
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2017 | 02:17 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Try Dr Beaseleys. I had HRE FF01 in matt finish. They also had a whitish cast. This stuff cleaned them and left a great matt finish. I was told there is nothing you can do. This stuff really works.

Interested in trying this on my GTS matte wheels.

I'm seeing a few options.

The matte paint cleanser shown above or the matte wheel cleanser -
Amazon Amazon

Any thoughts on which is the right one?
Old 12-01-2017 | 02:24 PM
bwiele
Pro

I just ordered the Dr. Beasley kit with the matte wheel cleaner and the Matte Paint Sealant as well. I don't have a have a problem with the matte wheels on my GTS (yet) but I've seen a number of recommendations for this recently and I must confess: I am a complete sucker for detailing products. Complete. Like, uncurable. There I said it.
Old 12-01-2017 | 02:26 PM
bwiele
Pro

Originally Posted by jsimon777

The matte paint cleanser shown above or the matte wheel cleanser - https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Beasleys-S...beasleys+matte

I got the Matte Wheel one. Which i assume is the right one for this application.
Old 12-01-2017 | 05:32 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsimon777

The matte paint cleanser shown above or the matte wheel cleanser - https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Beasleys-S14D32-Matte-Cleanser/dp/B00VE7529W/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1512152084&sr=1-6&keywords=dr+beasleys+matte

sorry for the delay. It’s the Matte Wheel cleaner. Had matt Black HRE wheels on my previous 4S. They had all kinds of staining. I thought I would have to repaint. Did 2 washes with Dr B and could not believe they came out looking new.

Quick Reply: Any way to rejuvenate matte black on wheels?