991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera T-- rage free thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017 | 01:06 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Will the more aggressive gearing have any effect on turbo lag?
Old 10-27-2017 | 01:41 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Selo
no but arguably this is a generation too late as it would have had a much larger impact on the NA engines.

Old school [i.e. Laggy turbo] M.O. Was long gears to take advantage of consistent boost that is lost during a shift. Today's PDK and fast spooling makes both deficits much better but it's the #1 cars that would have REALLY benefited.
Old 10-27-2017 | 01:45 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
Is it just me or am I the only person on this planet that doesn't understand Porsche's business model? It doesn't make any sense to me. Build as many cars as there are in demand minus one. That is the business model that I embrace.
Artificial scarcity of select models has been a cornerstone of Porsche marketing for some time. Counterintuitive, but it seems to work...

They are not alone. Go try and buy the latest Stainless Rolex Daytona at list price. Or a new Ford Raptor. Or a GT500R. All of those could be built in 10X volume without the parent companies blinking an eye, but they are purposely not.

I think the argument is that the scarcity of a few models elevates the perception of the entire brand, the so called halo effect. Not saying I agree with the strategy, just pointing out it's fairly common.
Old 10-27-2017 | 02:19 AM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pfbz
Artificial scarcity of select models has been a cornerstone of Porsche marketing for some time. Counterintuitive, but it seems to work...

They are not alone. Go try and buy the latest Stainless Rolex Daytona at list price. Or a new Ford Raptor. Or a GT500R. All of those could be built in 10X volume without the parent companies blinking an eye, but they are purposely not.

I think the argument is that the scarcity of a few models elevates the perception of the entire brand, the so called halo effect. Not saying I agree with the strategy, just pointing out it's fairly common.
I agree, scarcity make people want more of it. And if they can't get it, they would buy something else in the same brand. Rolex coulda make as much Daytona as GMT but they won't and make the Daytona a halo of rolex sport watches.
Old 10-27-2017 | 06:55 AM
balefire
Pro

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Just throwing this out there... it's more money than a 997 GT3 right now. For all of the descriptions of why people would want it; anyone cross shopping? Just curious.
I own a 997.1 GT3 and I'm considering this too.

As others have attested, unless you are willing to pay an ADM, it is nearly impossible to obtain a new GT3.
All of my previous cars I've purchased used.
So the appeal of the 991.2 T for me is that it might be my very first new purchase, on a GT3 "lite" car that includes rear seats.

I probably will never sell my GT3
Old 10-27-2017 | 07:41 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz

Yeah but it used to be that it was only the very special models that were scarce. Numeric GT and limited editions. Now people are reporting it being difficult to buy Turbos, GTSs, and C4s. Targa GTS, even more difficult.

That artificial scarcity has gotten out of hand in a major way, and I don't see that helping the "halo" of a brand with the heritage of Porsche, which has had a ****load of halo for decades.
Old 10-27-2017 | 09:24 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by balefire

As others have attested, unless you are willing to pay an ADM, it is nearly impossible to obtain a new GT3.
So the appeal of the 991.2 T for me is that it might be my very first new purchase, on a GT3 "lite" car that includes rear seats.

Completely different car in how they make power, handle, etc.... My point was just that like you, people keep calling it a GT3 lite. We certainly have a variable of warranty however aside from that it put people in the cost range of an older GT3.

I do think either will be a hoot - and I'm glad I'm not in the quandary of trying to decide as it seems it would be a tough call. The 911T will likely be a better all rounder but either would be a lot of car for ~100K.
Old 10-27-2017 | 10:03 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by balefire

The 911T would be a fun car to add to your 7.3 and I stated this before on an earlier post but the .2 C2 is really fun for only having "370hp". I truly enjoyed mine... this new 911T has more potential now with standard items previously unavailable or optional on a C2. It'll be a winner and a bang for the money as long as you keep the extra cost options low. I'd do RWS personally.
Old 10-27-2017 | 10:31 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Does anyone have a confirmed allocation? I've been told I'm first on the list, but even though Porsche says the order banks are open, the Dealer's apparently are not saying so, because they don't know their allocations. As for options, as much as I'd like the lightweight buckets for spirited drives on beautiful roads in beautiful weather, I can't see myself crawling into them in a wool coat or parka in the winter time. I think I'd really limit the cars use, so I'd plan to get the sport seats. The 18-way sport seats in my spyder, and previously in my GT4, are the most comfortable seats I've ever had. It will be hard for me to take a gamble on the four ways, knowing how good the 18 ways are. Y'all have me convinced rear wheel steering is a must, but I'm still struggling with PCCBs. I have them on my Spyder and I love the way they grip, but they grip so hard and so fast, they make it more difficult to heel-toe, because their response is disproportionate to the height of the brake pedal gas pedal relationship. So without sport seats, and without PCCBS, the bits that make the car special at this point are rear-wheel steering, a standard short-shift kit, and lightweight bits, as well as the different transmission gearing. I guess that's still a pretty good package.
Old 10-27-2017 | 10:37 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

even though Porsche says the order banks are open, the Dealer's apparently are not saying so
Probably because they haven't figured out how much ADM to charge!
Old 10-27-2017 | 10:58 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

I think it would have a small effect as the lag is reduced as rpm increases, and the shorter gearing puts the engine at higher rpm at any combination of vehicle speed and gear choice.

However, the difference won't be large as the gearing change appears to be small: 3:55 vs. 3.44. In other words, it looks like Porsche is fitting the transfer gears from the S and GTS to this 911 T.

To put that in perspective, at 70 mph, a base Carrera in seventh gear is turning about 1920 rpm. The T, S, and GTS models will turn about 1990 rpm.

So it's helpful, but hardly night and day.
Old 10-27-2017 | 12:43 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Visited the dealer yesterday and was looking over his shoulder at the internal order guide, which includes parenthetical clarifications beside certain T-specific features and options. From memory, they were:

Shorter final drive ratio: (from the 991.2 S/GTS)
Short Shift Kit (from 991.2 GTS)
Lightweight glass in rear and three-quarters (from the GT2/3 RS)
Reduced sound-deadening (from 991.2 GTS)

And my personal favorite:
$0 option to substitute standard thick glass, (Oh, come on!)
Old 10-27-2017 | 12:45 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

So what’s the deal with the glass? How much weight does it even save?
Old 10-27-2017 | 01:25 PM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Visited the dealer yesterday and was looking over his shoulder at the internal order guide, which includes parenthetical clarifications beside certain T-specific features and options. From memory, they were:

Shorter final drive ratio: (from the 991.2 S/GTS)
Short Shift Kit (from 991.2 GTS)
Lightweight glass in rear and three-quarters (from the GT2/3 RS)
Reduced sound-deadening (from 991.2 GTS)

And my personal favorite:
$0 option to substitute standard thick glass, (Oh, come on!)
I wish they'd put an option to reduce the sound deadening even further. For those of us who want more engine and gearbox noise.
Old 10-27-2017 | 01:33 PM
caritch
Instructor

With the exception of the “smoking package†and cargo net - I think all the $0 “options†make the build go backwards.

Quick Reply: Carrera T-- rage free thread