Sponsored by:

Carrera T-- rage free thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:08 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Carrera T-- rage free thread

This thread is for the Carrera T, without ad hominem attacks.

Let's discuss the car this time.

A stick in the GT3, the GT4, GT3T, and this new Carrera T. All of these are proof that Porsche does listen to enthusiasts, proof that someone in that company actually cares about our weird niche.

Let us continue, this time without attacking each other.

Last edited by Argon_; 10-25-2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-25-2017, 10:11 AM
Macduff
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone have a weight estimate for a simple configuration: manual, LWB's, Bose.

Then for the track would sport chrono need to be ticked?
Old 10-25-2017, 10:13 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Macduff
Anyone have a weight estimate for a simple configuration: manual, LWB's, Bose.

Then for the track would sport chrono need to be ticked?
It's 3142 pounds with no stereo or RWS.

Here is an article that I liked for the 911T. Cnet does interesting car reviews. Not Chris Harris but good facts.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...dling-prowess/
Old 10-25-2017, 10:21 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
This thread is for the Carrera T, without ad hominem attacks.

Let's discuss the car this time.

A stick in the GT3, the GT4, GT3T, an this new Carrera T. All of these are proof that Porsche does listen to enthusiasts, proof that someone in that company actually cares about our weird niche.

Let us continue, this time without attacking each other.
Thanks. I made this point in the previous thread but it got buried in 5 pages of off topic stuff. I reposted below.

Porsche is really just responding to what many of us are asking for in a 911. We should give credit to Porsche. It's not just all about a marketing gimic.

Numerous threads on rennlist have asked for the following in a 911:

1. Shorter gears (especially for us manual drivers). I really hate these longer gears that are designed to meet emissions and mpg standards and not my driving pleasure standards.
2. SPASM available on a base model (I literally went to Porsche exclusive and asked them if there was a way they could add this option on my Base 991.2 order - no can do)
3. RWS for the base model.
4. Lighter weight 911. (granted 11 lbs and cloth door pulls are a bit of a gimic in my view).
5. PTV on a base non C4 model
6. Light weight bucket seats available as an option.

We asked, they delivered. What is the problem?

I also want to point out that we (i.e. Porsche fanatics) asked for a manual GT3 with the 991.2. We asked for a NA motor to be kept in the GT3. We asked that the 981 to be allowed to fulfill the potential of the chassis with a 991.1S engine. We got all of that.

Porsche reads these forums. I think they are delivering. I love the NA motor much better than my Turbo but Porsche is being held back by regulatory forces and they don't have much of a choice. 911T sounds (no pun intended) pretty cool to me. Just my two cents.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:29 AM
Macduff
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent post! This is more of an enthusiast car than a first impression conveys. It's all about making some key options available at a lower price of entry. I'm a fan.
​​​​​​
Old 10-25-2017, 10:30 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I've spent a lot of time on the configurator lately building my perfect Carrera T. And I haven't touched the configurator at all for many years, so this immediately tells me I am drawn to what the Carrera T is all about. I love it!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:37 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

To add to subshooter’s great list, it has all the sport chrono benefits standard with no wart (aka clock) on the dash and has rear seat delete. I think the configurator description is wrong in the US (and right in the UK) for SC. I believe the correct answer is SC gets you the clock and the wiring for the lap time trigger in a T.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:53 AM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking forward to seeing you guys' orders and spec lists!
Old 10-25-2017, 11:01 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Re PTV, I'm not a fan, at least with my limited knowledge. First, with my Spyder, I've felt it intervene a couple times and it didn't feel natural to me. Second, I've read that it fries brakes on the track.
I wish it were an option. My ideal sports car is one that allows ME to learn car control. If I want a video game, I'll play a video game.
Comments?
Old 10-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Definitely glad Porsche did this. I would have rather they did a stripped out bare bones GT3 or an enthusiast package for either the base or S. All the light weight stuff standard at a slight discount, unique interior theme, special wheels and rear grill, Matched with MPSC2 tires. Good direction but not enough to sway me yet. Interestingly the .1 base with a manual weighed 3,042 according to Porsche.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:14 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I think it will be an interesting drivers car. It does make you feel that Porsche is listening and that even though the MT drivers are in the minority they still value these drivers.

The add on like RWS and SPASM are a plus and if the gearing is like the GT4 or GT3 it will be a great MT for purists.

For me I wish it had a little more giddy up in the power plant. I know its a turbo but bringing it to 400 plus would have been worthy. I just moved to a Turbo S and the power is intoxicating, not sure I want to give that up.

But I do feel this will be a great Porsche and a keeper car.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:17 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

I really like the 911T concept. Anyone who’s driven the current base Carrera knows that it’s a rocket. The additional features and options are ideal. If I had plans for a new Porsche in 2018–I would order one
Old 10-25-2017, 11:22 AM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be happy if the 4.0 engine was an option for the base 911
Old 10-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts
Default From R&T.... How Would You Configure Your 2018 Porsche 911 Carrera T?

I now have a GT3.2 since 10/17 and I'm one of those that's all thumbs up (even on the 991 GT3/RS section 911T thread) on the release of this new version....

But if I wasn't able to order my GT3.2, I would have been seriously tempted to spec a new 911T. I had a 991.2 manual Carrera for 9 months of which I really enjoyed on & off the track... it was such a fun coupe to drive, whether daily or spiritedly. This was mine below... and for the 911T, I can see the benefits of the now standard (or available) features that were otherwise previously unavailable on a standard Carrera. To me, the Carrera is still such a fun car to drive.... that's what matters IMHO.

----------

Anyway... here's a R&T article published today, short & sweet to the point: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-configurator/
Attached Images   
Old 10-25-2017, 11:45 AM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Posted in the other thread but will post again here. Would be interested in availability of this car. Not for me I have .2 Carrera but just curious whether this is easy to order unlike .2 Gt3. Anyone who talks to dealer and or gets production stats, etc please post here thx!

Quick Reply: Carrera T-- rage free thread