991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera T-- rage free thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017 | 06:43 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

In the past, the replacement cost of PCCB rotors has always been what holds me back from considering them as a new car option... Several times more expensive just for replacement rotors and pads than the entire option is new, from Porsche at least.

But it seems that there are a growing number of alternative carbon rotor and rotor refurbishment services that are bringing down that cost to a reasonable number making PCCB's more attractive to me.
Old 10-26-2017 | 06:50 PM
caritch
Instructor

Agreed on the $$. Honestly I had not researched the replacement cost when I ordered them. I had heard they were great and my wife liked the yellow calipers and said it was a must! Later when I found out what the replacement cost was, I was in shock. All that said. I have them and love them.
Old 10-26-2017 | 06:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pfbz
In the past, the replacement cost of PCCB rotors has always been what holds me back from considering them as a new car option... Several times more expensive just for replacement rotors and pads than the entire option is new, from Porsche at least.

But it seems that there are a growing number of alternative carbon rotor and rotor refurbishment services that are bringing down that cost to a reasonable number making PCCB's more attractive to me.
Any suggestions on PCCB alternatives for less?

The main thing with the 911 T configurator for me at least is deciding PCCB or not.
Old 10-26-2017 | 07:08 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sticky
Any suggestions on PCCB alternatives for less?

The main thing with the 911 T configurator for me at least is deciding PCCB or not.
www.rebrake.de seems to get mentioned in Ferrari and Porsche circles. I remember a US based race shop doing refurbishment as well but I'd have to dig through my links.
Old 10-26-2017 | 07:20 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Good video of the car here.
Originally Posted by worf928
I couldn't make it past about a minute and a half. ... I fast-fwd'd through the rest. No interior shots. So sure it's a manual?
Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
I’m pretty sure that car has PDK.
Who knows how many takes, different cars, audio remixes, stunt drivers and edits were involved in shooting that video, but they DEFINITELY showed the manual transmission (shift pattern on **** and all).

Here's a different (shorter, better?) edit of the same video

Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2017 | 07:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

But unless you track your car, you'll likely never have to replace them. They'll cost more up front, but you won't have the maintenance cost you have on the iron setup.
Old 10-26-2017 | 08:37 PM
Captain racing
Advanced

Is Porsche offering "Paint to Sample" on the 911 T? I didn't see it in the configuator.
Old 10-26-2017 | 10:47 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

We are all just hoping... nothing official. Of course we also have no idea how hard or easy it will be to get a build slot either.
Old 10-26-2017 | 10:59 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

We are all just hoping... nothing official. Of course we also have no idea how hard or easy it will be to get a build slot either.
Is it just me or am I the only person on this planet that doesn't understand Porsche's business model? It doesn't make any sense to me. Build as many cars as there are in demand minus one. That is the business model that I embrace.

It's like going into McDonalds to order a burger and they say nope....can't do it. Corporate wont let us sell any more than 3 burgers today even though we want to sell you the burger, we have excess kitchen capacity and you want to buy it....and there is a friggin line around the block. We might be able to negotiate a trade of our spare salads for your burger with the McDonalds down the street. If not, we will have to wait until next quarters allocation of burgers. However, if you previously bought a super duper big mac, you will get first dibs on any new burger allocation before all the poor people come in for their lunch break. Deal? We don't care if you never eat your burger and just store it in your refrigerator. We don't even care if you sell your burger for a 40% profit a year later to the hungry poor person down the street that couldn't get his allocation of burgers. We really are not even in the eating business. We just want to make sure we control people.

I wish I could I run Porsche's business at PCNA. Subshooter would tell PAG Germany to STFU and build as many cars as the US wants to order - minus one. Done. Maybe we would actually see a 911R on the road driven by a driver instead of an investor.

Last edited by subshooter; 10-26-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-26-2017 | 11:43 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sticky
With all due respect you're down 75 horsepower and 100 lb-ft of torque: http://www.****************/content.p...orsche-history

The difference between the base 991.1 and 991.2 is not 20 hp. I don't know why people here are so far behind on this topic or struggling to grasp the actual output bump.

The 911 T is making 991.1 Carrera S peak power but with far more area under the curve and less weight.
Hmmm, maybe because we havn't seen that link before or those dyno runs or any mention of it on the net? Just a guess.

And all of that is well and good, 20 hp or 75 hp, I still think I'd rather be able to swap the parts I mentioned from the T into my 16C2. NOTHING against the T at all.
Old 10-26-2017 | 11:47 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subshooter
Is it just me or am I the only person on this planet that doesn't understand Porsche's business model? It doesn't make any sense to me. Build as many cars as there are in demand minus one. That is the business model that I embrace.

It's like going into McDonalds to order a burger and they say nope....can't do it. Corporate wont let us sell any more than 3 burgers today even though we want to sell you the burger, we have excess kitchen capacity and you want to buy it....and there is a friggin line around the block. We might be able to negotiate a trade of our spare salads for your burger with the McDonalds down the street. If not, we will have to wait until next quarters allocation of burgers. However, if you previously bought a super duper big mac, you will get first dibs on any new burger allocation before all the poor people come in for their lunch break. Deal? We don't care if you never eat your burger and just store it in your refrigerator. We don't even care if you sell your burger for a 40% profit a year later to the hungry poor person down the street that couldn't get his allocation of burgers. We really are not even in the eating business. We just want to make sure we control people.

I wish I could I run Porsche's business at PCNA. Subshooter would tell PAG Germany to STFU and build as many cars as the US wants to order - minus one. Done. Maybe we would actually see a 911R on the road driven by a driver instead of an investor.

I have no idea what I am talking about so keep that in mind when I say.... I think it has to do with overall production capability and Porsche trying to fill all of the various 911 orders that they get to keep as wide a variety of customers / dealers happy as they can. They could probably produce more Ts but would have to produce fewer GTSs. Or visa versa.
Old 10-26-2017 | 11:53 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
I have no idea what I am talking about so keep that in mind when I say.... I think it has to do with overall production capability and Porsche trying to fill all of the various 911 orders that they get to keep as wide a variety of customers / dealers happy as they can. They could probably produce more Ts but would have to produce fewer GTSs. Or visa versa.
I've been to both factories. They are only running 2 eight hour shifts. They could run three like my business or build more capacity. I love German engineering but I love American business. We need to marry them up and we will dominate the world.

Edit. BTW today's fun fact: - McDonalds Market Capitalization: $133 Billion selling friggin burgers. Porsche: $18 billion selling fantastic cars.
Old 10-26-2017 | 11:58 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subshooter
I've been to both factories. They are only running 2 eight hour shifts. They could run three like my business or build more capacity. I love German engineering but I love American business. We need to marry them up and we will dominate the world.
Meah, if they ran a 3rd shift they'd probably just build more Macans and Cayennes. LOL

JK as I think those are built in a different plant. But again, I have no idea what I am talking about.
Old 10-27-2017 | 12:11 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Meah, if they ran a 3rd shift they'd probably just build more Macans and Cayennes. LOL

JK as I think those are built in a different plant. But again, I have no idea what I am talking about.
Those are built in Leipzig and there is no problem buying a Porsche SUV or Sedan. If you want one, you will get one.

The sports cars and in particular the GT or Halo cars (918, 911R, even the GT4) are nearly impossible to get. Try it and get on a waiting list. Some of the cars are sold out before they are even formally announced.

My dealership had to make a deal with another dealership to get my C4 which is a rare car. It's rare not because it is in high demand but because few want it. (If you can afford a C4, you can afford a CS). But why should a dealership have to do this? Put in the order and get it made at the factory.

Sorry for the off topic but it does relate to the availability of the 911 T.
Old 10-27-2017 | 12:28 AM
Banned

Hmmm, maybe because we havn't seen that link before or those dyno runs or any mention of it on the net? Just a guess.

And all of that is well and good, 20 hp or 75 hp, I still think I'd rather be able to swap the parts I mentioned from the T into my 16C2. NOTHING against the T at all.
I've been talking about it for over half a year but that's ok. The point is to read and learn so all good.

People may have a different view of the T and its output when they realize it is punching well above its weight. Just like the base except better.

Quick Reply: Carrera T-- rage free thread