Will 991.1 be iconic in 20 years?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 11:06 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
Duh. Any 911 is iconic now.

Porsche snobs might quibble over 993 vs 996, or .1 over .2, but fortunately Porsche snobs aren't the masses.

Society determines iconic, not Renn listers. Seventh grade boys doodling the cars of their dreams determine iconic, not the absence or presence of turbochargers on an engine that can't be seen anyhow.

The 911 shape is iconic... and has been since it displaced the 356-based cars as the image people immediately associate with the term Porsche.
Lol. Tell that to owners of air cooled cars that are seeing their cars rise in value like a momentum stock. N/A vs turbo is far more of a common discourse than merely how an engine is cooled. And it worked out for them quite well.

I think one point is being missed by some: Whether or not the 991.1 appreciates (wait.... it already has, they’re literally selling for more than they were two years ago, the only cars of such price and volume in existence to pull off such a feat) in the future (which I confidently feel it will), being the last N/A 911 (EVER! In history, written in the stars and automotive 101 textbooks) will absolutely at the very least mitigate depreciation and give it a soulful/emotional connection to many enthusiasts going forward. The sound it makes will never again be replicated to such a degree.

So whether you hit the jackpot or not, you will always have the last of the N/A 911’s. And best believe it will work in the cars favor to some (maybe massive, maybe moderate) degree.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:29 AM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Lol. Tell that to owners of air cooled cars that are seeing their cars rise in value like a momentum stock. N/A vs turbo is far more of a common discourse than merely how an engine is cooled. And it worked out for them quite well.

I think one point is being missed by some: Whether or not the 991.1 appreciates (wait.... it already has, they’re literally selling for more than they were two years ago, the only cars of such price and volume in existence to pull off such a feat) in the future (which I confidently feel it will), being the last N/A 911 (EVER! In history, written in the stars and automotive 101 textbooks) will absolutely at the very least mitigate depreciation and give it a soulful/emotional connection to many enthusiasts going forward. The sound it makes will never again be replicated to such a degree.

So whether you hit the jackpot or not, you will always have the last of the N/A 911’s. And best believe it will work in the cars favor to some (maybe massive, maybe moderate) degree.
^ +1

I personally always have at least 2 sport/super cars in the garage at all times and replace one every other year. This way, I always have something new each year to play with. My 991.1S is proposing to ruin this cycle that I have become accustomed to since it has easily become my favorite car to drive and I can't really see selling it...

^ This was before I knew it was the last NA Carrera which is making the decision to keep it even more compelling... Guess it's time for a bigger garage 🙂
Old 10-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Iconic is pushing it.
Increasingly more rare, since buying an NA non-GT 911s is no longer possible, a resounding yes.
The current market is starting to reflect this and it’s going to accelerate.
There will be more and more turbos and less and less NAs left as time goes by, due to accidents, acts of God, etc.
Do I care personally, no! Do I wish I could buy another HFS gem, hell yeah!
Old 10-15-2017, 12:13 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,173 Likes on 5,291 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Ask a 4th grade art student to make a simple line drawing of the silhouette of a 911. Any series 911. Take that simple line drawing to any number of random people. Ask them to identify the car. You'll get a lot of correct answers. Why? Because the 911 is iconic.

You could do the same thing with a VW Beetle, a Coca Cola bottle, Mickey Mouse ears, the Golden Gate bridge.
Finally.

Someone gets it.

And here I thought no one on Rennlst understood what “iconic” means, or had all donated their dictionaries to the local library.
The following users liked this post:
racebannon (06-05-2021)
Old 10-15-2017, 12:21 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Finally.

Someone gets it.

And here I thought no one on Rennlst understood what “iconic” means, or had all donated their dictionaries to the local library.

Definitely the word being used in the wrong way trying to convey a point here by the OP. Maybe all number crunchers here and no poets?
Old 10-15-2017, 03:09 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,173 Likes on 5,291 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

Definitely the word being used in the wrong way trying to convey a point here by the OP. Maybe all number crunchers here and no poets?
Yes, indeed.

Better word might be "coveted"? Or "collectible"? Perhaps even "estimably sui generis"?
Old 10-15-2017, 03:27 PM
M3to911s
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Yes, indeed.

Better word might be "coveted"? Or "collectible"? Perhaps even "estimably sui generis"?
Yes guys you’re right, I’m a doctor not a poet and English isn’t my first language, not an excuse I know, so I probably used the word incorrectly, what I meant would have been better stated as, will 991.1 being arguably the last of 3.8 NA be a collectible car?
My F80 was faster than my E92 and had a TON more torque yet I missed the E92 every day. I’m sure others out there are like me whether in the BMW brand or Porsche brand having same issues with turbo unpredictability during throttle steering, turbo lag, hating the sound of it,...,,,,,
Old 10-15-2017, 03:36 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by M3to911s
Yes guys you’re right, I’m a doctor not a poet and English isn’t my first language, not an excuse I know, so I probably used the word incorrectly, what I meant would have been better stated as, will 991.1 being arguably the last of 3.8 NA be a collectible car?
My F80 was faster than my E92 and had a TON more torque yet I missed the E92 every day. I’m sure others out there are like me whether in the BMW brand or Porsche brand having same issues with turbo unpredictability during throttle steering, turbo lag, hating the sound of it,...,,,,,
You used it right.... the #2 guys are hyper sensitive and some need a lot of justification for the money they paid for the new model. Semantics will always be debated on a forum like this with no OCD, type A or dominant personalities... since no Porsche owners demo those personality traits.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:48 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
You used it right.... the #2 guys are hyper sensitive and some need a lot of justification for the money they paid for the new model. Semantics will always be debated on a forum like this with no OCD, type A or dominant personalities... since no Porsche owners demo those personality traits.
😂

"Hyper sensitive" feels like an understatement. You can tell some of these guys that literally every part of the .2 is an improvement and the .1 motor preference is a subjective preference and they still find a way to take offense...
Old 10-15-2017, 09:04 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
😂

"Hyper sensitive" feels like an understatement. You can tell some of these guys that literally every part of the .2 is an improvement and the .1 motor preference is a subjective preference and they still find a way to take offense...
I think it's all the Dyson comments that may have aggravated things a bit.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:10 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I think it's all the Dyson comments that may have aggravated things a bit.
This?

Old 10-15-2017, 09:14 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,296 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike

5. The younger generations, for the most part, don't care about cars. My millennial siblings could care less about cars- and they have means.
Quite true, have many millennial clients with means and none care about cars. Every time I attempt to talk about cars...*crickets*.

Last edited by .2PDK; 10-15-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:24 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

You're a funny guy...
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2017, 10:56 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

You Got me twice.

1. I was trying to post “And here comes R Rated’s video in 3, 2,1...” and you beat me to it.

2. I clicked on your video again (I do every friggin time) and Lol.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:17 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

This?

This video goes on for 14 minutes with that hideous sound. It’s embedded in my mind now and will never look at a .2 the same way.

Quick Reply: Will 991.1 be iconic in 20 years?