Sponsored by:

GTS Steering Wheel 'inserts'

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 05:28 PM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Be Careful....

For the record...swapping these out might not be that easy...

So, I got all excited and went outside with my 2.5 mm allen wrench...was going to pull the middle insert out, see what it looked like plastic-dipped...and go from there.

Well, let's just say, I just got back from the Porsche Service department where I qualified myself as dumba$$ customer of the day...those screws...are bolts...with nuts attached to the back...so, when you unscrew them...the nuts fall to the bottom of the steering wheel (on the inside)...and that little insert...doesn't really come off (at least that is where I stopped).

I called the dealership, just to see if they could look at what I had done and either A) go...well, you just pop this off...or B) fix what I had done...we went with option B.

I am pretty good with cars, but this was getting tricky fast...so, it was a $$$$ lesson. I think I am now on the "if there isn't a video of someone else doing it, I am not going to be the first" bus.

If anyone else knows how to do this...and wants to quietly tell me where I went sideways, please do.

I am just going to wait for the aftermarket parts to become more readily available...I really hate that this was the first $$$$ spent on this thing (other than the ZunSports).

Hope this helps...
Old 10-10-2017, 05:40 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by wes66vette
For the record...swapping these out might not be that easy...

So, I got all excited and went outside with my 2.5 mm allen wrench...was going to pull the middle insert out, see what it looked like plastic-dipped...and go from there.

Well, let's just say, I just got back from the Porsche Service department where I qualified myself as dumba$$ customer of the day...those screws...are bolts...with nuts attached to the back...so, when you unscrew them...the nuts fall to the bottom of the steering wheel (on the inside)...and that little insert...doesn't really come off (at least that is where I stopped).

I called the dealership, just to see if they could look at what I had done and either A) go...well, you just pop this off...or B) fix what I had done...we went with option B.

I am pretty good with cars, but this was getting tricky fast...so, it was a $$$$ lesson. I think I am now on the "if there isn't a video of someone else doing it, I am not going to be the first" bus.

If anyone else knows how to do this...and wants to quietly tell me where I went sideways, please do.

I am just going to wait for the aftermarket parts to become more readily available...I really hate that this was the first $$$$ spent on this thing (other than the ZunSports).

Hope this helps...

They come off from the rear when the wheel is taken apart. See pictures towards last few posts of the thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9352...2s-pdk-21.html
Old 10-10-2017, 05:47 PM
STKDoctor
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikex25
this steering wheel is different than the one that comes in the GTS. The GTS comes with the smaller diameter GT steering wheel with exposed screws. If you look at his, his does not have any exposed screws.

you can reach out to MAcarbon, they have the matte carbon fiber steering wheel insets for the smaller GT wheel. Keep in mind adding darker inserts might look off because our airbag has a silver ring while the 911r/gt3 has a black ring.

There are actually 2 different wheels for the GTS...It looks like
one is European and one is for North America..I looked at the Porsche Great Britain site for reference.

European one has 2 screws in each 'insert' (and no multi function support)

North American one has 3 screws on the left/right insert and 4 on the bottom insert.

Nevertheless, no biggie.

All we need answers for is

1) Where can we get a) a 2nd OEM set... or b) a matte black set to match the finish on the top of the wheel. I suppose Carbon Fiber ones would work for some ppl as well

I now have a doctorate in GTS interiors...Specializing in the steering wheels from different countries!

2 screws on each insert is Euro model
3x3x4 is North American model wheel.
Attached Images    
Old 10-10-2017, 05:47 PM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
They come off from the rear when the wheel is taken apart. See pictures towards last few posts of the thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9352...2s-pdk-21.html
Yep...pretty much what we figured out...no way to do this without taken the whole steering wheel off.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:52 PM
STKDoctor
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Wes.

Thanks for being the guinea pig though. Beers on me!

I edited my post above as we were replying @ the same time.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:52 PM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STKDoctor

1) Has anyone removed these? Do those 'screws' loosten to remove the actual insert? or do they come out another way?

2) Where can we get a) a 2nd OEM set... or b) a matte black set to match the finish on the top of the wheel. I suppose Carbon Fiber ones would work for some ppl as well
1) Those "screws" DO NOT loosen the insert, or at least enough to be removed (see earlier post). I tried and failed...

2) As far as I could tell, no one is making these inserts at this time (that fit the 3x3x4 pattern), I tried calling SunCoast to see if I could by OEM, and they said "nope" not yet.

For that matter...I would probably just swap the whole thing out with a custom one from TechArt now that I have been through this...

Last edited by wes66vette; 10-10-2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: More info...
Old 10-10-2017, 06:56 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by STKDoctor
There are actually 2 different wheels for the GTS...It looks like
one is European and one is for North America..I looked at the Porsche Great Britain site for reference.

European one has 2 screws in each 'insert' (and no multi function support)

North American one has 3 screws on the left/right insert and 4 on the bottom insert.

Nevertheless, no biggie.

1) Where can we get a) a 2nd OEM set... or b) a matte black set to match the finish on the top of the wheel. I suppose Carbon Fiber ones would work for some ppl as well.

I now have a doctorate in GTS interiors...Specializing in the steering wheels from different countries!

2 screws on each insert is Euro model
3x3x4 is North American model wheel.
these are essentially the same wheel. USA and EURO gets the same equipment. Difference is one wheel has multifunction (more screws) and the other 2 do not. You can option with or without multifunction in either country.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:30 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

My non MF PDK wheel

Name:  photo735.jpg
Views: 1688
Size:  658.9 KB
Old 10-19-2017, 05:17 AM
EXCLUSIVE OPTION
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Options

We offer many styling options suitable for the multi-function steering wheel. From options of either leather or Alcantara Faceplates to deviated stitching. The options we offer can be viewed on this thread posting:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1030...l#post14545250

PM us for special requests or if there are any general questions for other modular parts for your 991.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:45 AM
911happy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to know if the black inserts with screws for multi-function GT sport steering are available somewhere. I haven't seen one yet.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:22 AM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the GT3 wheel has the black inserts

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...018GT3ALC.html

and the parts are for sale?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU718SWT.html
Old 11-11-2017, 05:32 PM
911happy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrmojom3
Looks like the GT3 wheel has the black inserts

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...018GT3ALC.html

and the parts are for sale?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU718SWT.html
Suncoast has the black inserts. But they don't have what I'm looking for - the black inserts for MF wheel.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:14 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 318 Posts

This is going in my 991.1 MF. I wanted the all black spokes with a .2 style wheel. Got it from Heinz (911ava on ebay.)
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2017, 08:34 PM
cdnewt
Track Day

Anyone seen/tried these yet?

https://shop.db-carbon-interieur.de/...s/1454CA2-0001

Old 11-15-2017, 09:34 PM
911happy
Intermediate

Look good but outrageous price!