Sponsored by:

GTS Steering Wheel 'inserts'

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 04:06 PM
STKDoctor
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GTS Steering Wheel 'inserts'

I like the look of the .2 GT3 wheel with the matte black inserts (pictured below).

Anyone know if where/if we can get the matte black 'inserts' (??? what are they even called?) for the GTS rather than the stock aluminum/silver ones?

I suppose I can have them painted, but is there anywhere that sells them in flat/matte black for the multifunction GT sport wheel currently found on the .2 GTS's?

Also, has anyone ever removed these pieces before? It looks easy, but im unsure if those 'allen key' type fastners actually work to loosen/remove them...

Thanks guys..

Attached Images   

Last edited by STKDoctor; 10-09-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:13 PM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

+1 on the info...subscribed.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

I feel like plastidip would be the most cost effective and it's reversible. They do look super nice though.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:03 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Dang it! Never even thought of that. I was perfectly satisfied until you posted. Thanks a lot!
Old 10-09-2017, 07:53 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Dang it! Never even thought of that. I was perfectly satisfied until you posted. Thanks a lot!

SAME!!! 😡
Old 10-09-2017, 07:57 PM
islandsnow
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

had mine changed to carbon fiber and had the silver plastic wrapped in leather

Old 10-09-2017, 08:30 PM
STKDoctor
Advanced

Originally Posted by islandsnow
had mine changed to carbon fiber and had the silver plastic wrapped in leather

Great!!

Now.... where did you get the CF ones? I think I want to keep the wheel uniofrm w/ the matte black ones.... BUT, the CF might work as well. Please let us know where you get them

To the others - LOL! I was thinking 'should I really post this? am I crazy? Do I need these?'

Of course I do... of course I do.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:37 PM
islandsnow
Racer

Originally Posted by STKDoctor
Great!!

Now.... where did you get the CF ones? I think I want to keep the wheel uniofrm w/ the matte black ones.... BUT, the CF might work as well. Please let us know where you get them

To the others - LOL! I was thinking 'should I really post this? am I crazy? Do I need these?'

my interior has OEM gloss CF so it flows better being gloss

CF pieces are from DB Carbon and the leather wrap was done by Exclusive Options
Old 10-09-2017, 09:53 PM
STKDoctor
Advanced

Originally Posted by islandsnow
my interior has OEM gloss CF so it flows better being gloss

CF pieces are from DB Carbon and the leather wrap was done by Exclusive Options
Did you send the wrong link? It's an ebay link to something that is not correct.. (I checked twice).

Not too worried about having that portion of the steering wheel wrapped in leather as it already comes in a nice black finish on the .2 GTS.

Please let us know if the company has an actual website... (not ebay)

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2017, 10:21 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

I like the look of the .2 GT3 wheel with the matte black inserts (pictured below).

Anyone know if where/if we can get the matte black 'inserts' (??? what are they even called?) for the GTS rather than the stock aluminum/silver ones?

I suppose I can have them painted, but is there anywhere that sells them in flat/matte black for the multifunction GT sport wheel currently found on the .2 GTS's?

Also, has anyone ever removed these pieces before? It looks easy, but im unsure if those 'allen key' type fastners actually work to loosen/remove them...

Thanks guys..

Funny I want to do this same thing. Can we just order the inserts from Porsche for a 991.2 GT3 and install on our GTS's? Same steering wheel right? Has anyone swapped them out? Are they easy to do?
Old 10-09-2017, 10:28 PM
STKDoctor
Advanced

Originally Posted by texascarlover
Funny I want to do this same thing. Can we just order the inserts from Porsche for a 991.2 GT3 and install on our GTS's? Same steering wheel right? Has anyone swapped them out? Are they easy to do?
I was going to post that they do not look like a direct swap...GT3 has no multifunction buttons, so they seem to be different. Even the bottom one is different as the GT3 only has 2 'screws' (?) and the GTS has 4. The only way I might be wrong is if those fastners are just for show and do not actually work. Hopefully someone who has removed them or knows more about them can chime in and tell us if those are actually removed by unscrewing each of the bolts/fastners.

If I cannot find them I may order a 2nd set of GTS ones from dealer (if they are available) and see if I can match them in some type of matte black paint..
Old 10-09-2017, 10:58 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

How did you remove the inserts? I think it’s TechArt who makes wheels with painted inserts but only sells complete wheels. I might want to get my inserts painted body color when I put it away for winter.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:43 AM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
How did you remove the inserts? I think it’s TechArt who makes wheels with painted inserts but only sells complete wheels. I might want to get my inserts painted body color when I put it away for winter.
I wish I hadn't gone to that TechArt site...now I need an entire new steering wheel...not just painted inserts.

I just got off the phone with SunCoast Parts...and it appears that you CANNOT order the inserts separately...the advisor I spoke with said the steering wheel is still pretty new, so aftermarket or accessories might not be available yet.

I am trying to decide if I want to go outside and see how hard it is to take mine off...

Last edited by wes66vette; 10-10-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: More info
Old 10-10-2017, 01:35 PM
islandsnow
Racer

Did you send the wrong link? It's an ebay link to something that is not correct.. (I checked twice).

Not too worried about having that portion of the steering wheel wrapped in leather as it already comes in a nice black finish on the .2 GTS.

Please let us know if the company has an actual website... (not ebay)

Thanks!
My post didnt have a link or ebay website so not sure what you are talking about. you asked for the companies that made the parts and that is what i posted.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:56 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Great!!

this steering wheel is different than the one that comes in the GTS. The GTS comes with the smaller diameter GT steering wheel with exposed screws. If you look at his, his does not have any exposed screws.

you can reach out to MAcarbon, they have the matte carbon fiber steering wheel insets for the smaller GT wheel. Keep in mind adding darker inserts might look off because our airbag has a silver ring while the 911r/gt3 has a black ring.

Below is a pic of the MAcarbon inserts compared to the regular 991.2 steering wheel.

Quick Reply: GTS Steering Wheel 'inserts'