991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about my latest test drive...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017 | 02:07 AM
See U n RearView
Instructor

Red face Questions about my latest test drive...

I did test drive a 991.2 C4S Cab and a C4 Cab and a C2 Cab

1. OK. When i drove the C4S with full leather, it sounded like it was more sound-proofed than the One without full leather. Is it me or is that true?

2. The C2s felt more bouncy in the front end than the C4s or the C4

3. My wife like the Cab, I like the coupe. She says its my car, but which one should I get? I know this is subjective but, are some of you guys happy with the CAb?

4. I want sapphire blue, C4, Sport steering, Chrono, Sport exhaust, 18 way, full leather, and I want to trick out the inside with personal touches. Should I order, or just find a similar C4 used, within the next 2 years, because I will save a bunch of $$ once a few of them come off lease?

5. Any tips for the newb on where to look...?
Attached Images      
Old 10-04-2017 | 02:09 AM
See U n RearView
Instructor

C4 Cab info

total cost $133,670
Attached Images    
Old 10-04-2017 | 02:39 AM
Loft23
Instructor

I did test drive a 991.2 C4S Cab and a C4 Cab and a C2 Cab

1. OK. When i drove the C4S with full leather, it sounded like it was more sound-proofed than the One without full leather. Is it me or is that true?

2. The C2s felt more bouncy in the front end than the C4s or the C4

3. My wife like the Cab, I like the coupe. She says its my car, but which one should I get? I know this is subjective but, are some of you guys happy with the CAb?

4. I want sapphire blue, C4, Sport steering, Chrono, Sport exhaust, 18 way, full leather, and I want to trick out the inside with personal touches. Should I order, or just find a similar C4 used, within the next 2 years, because I will save a bunch of $$ once a few of them come off lease?

5. Any tips for the newb on where to look...?
1. Were they both the same style as in Coupe vs. Coupe with and without full-leather? By nature I can see it happening as softer materials will absorb more sound and deaden vibrations.
2. Lighter in general by about 120lbs depending on options. The C2s frunk is larger because it doesn't have all the awd components so it's technically lighter upfront. Were they both equipped with SPASM / PASM?
3. I'm happy with my coupe. It's lighter, quieter, and better rigidity, but it all depends on how you want to use the car. As a fun GT car and sun cruiser, the Cab is great.
4. Buying used is always the wise choice. Let someone else take the depreciation. With that said, I have never owned a used car other my first car (Chevy Corsica) that was a hand me down from my parents. If you are fortunate to find a build that matches what you're looking for, by all means buy that used car. I personally like buying new and personalizing. If I'm going to spend a large amount of money, I want the car to be built exactly to my preferences.

Where do you live and why do you need awd?
Old 10-04-2017 | 07:44 AM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Regarding coupe vs cab... While cab may be sacrilege to some, I find it fantastic. The 991 cab has 3 titanium Magnesium plates in the roof, which not only help with road noise when closed, but also give it the classic 911 profile. Very little difference in weight. It's a win-win, especially if you are in a Southern climate.

All choices you're reviewing are great. I've only preferred the 4's over the 2's due to the slightly wider hips. If you live in a winter climate, then I'd go with the 4 or 4S hands down .

Last edited by Hawkeye911; 10-04-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2017 | 08:00 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hawkeye911
Regarding coupe vs cab... While cab may be sacrilege to some, I find it fantastic. The 991 cab has 3 titanium plates in the roof, which not only help with road noise when closed, but also give it the classic 911 profile. Very little difference in weight. It's a win-win, especially if you are in a Southern climate.

All choices you're reviewing are great. I've only preferred the 4's over the 2's due to the slightly wider hips. If you live in a winter climate, then I'd go with the 4 or 4S hands down .
+1

I was a coupe guy, until I drove a cabriolet. I’m on my second cabriolet now, and I’m not sure I could go back to a coupe, especially if I only had one Porsche in the garage. The 991 is the best cabriolet yet.
Old 10-04-2017 | 08:06 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Where do you live? Cab forever for me at the beach and mountains.
Old 10-04-2017 | 08:39 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Loft23
1. Were they both the same style as in Coupe vs. Coupe with and without full-leather? By nature I can see it happening as softer materials will absorb more sound and deaden vibrations.
2. Lighter in general by about 120lbs depending on options. The C2s frunk is larger because it doesn't have all the awd components so it's technically lighter upfront. Were they both equipped with SPASM / PASM?
3. I'm happy with my coupe. It's lighter, quieter, and better rigidity, but it all depends on how you want to use the car. As a fun GT car and sun cruiser, the Cab is great.
4. Buying used is always the wise choice. Let someone else take the depreciation. With that said, I have never owned a used car other my first car (Chevy Corsica) that was a hand me down from my parents. If you are fortunate to find a build that matches what you're looking for, by all means buy that used car. I personally like buying new and personalizing. If I'm going to spend a large amount of money, I want the car to be built exactly to my preferences.

Where do you live and why do you need awd?
Cab cannot have SPASM.
Old 10-04-2017 | 08:41 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Hawkeye911
Regarding coupe vs cab... While cab may be sacrilege to some, I find it fantastic. The 991 cab has 3 titanium plates in the roof, which not only help with road noise when closed, but also give it the classic 911 profile. Very little difference in weight. It's a win-win, especially if you are in a Southern climate.

Magnesium. - i'm with you... LOVE my cab. It's almost as quiet as a coupe with the top up. You're wife may be more likely to hang out at PCA with a cab too. The 991 cab is one of the best executed cabs of any platform and by far the best 911 cab of all time. In the area around Fremont, Napa, Santa Cruz... you'll regret not getting a cab but ca always put the top up in one. Also - the integrated wind blocker screen makes a world of difference. I can have a conversation on the highway with 4 windows up and the screen up.

If there is any car to take a chance in getting a Cab THIS is the car to do it in.
Old 10-04-2017 | 11:09 AM
casaforte9
Racer

OP
This is a tough decision especially if someone likes top down driving too. In the north east nj/pa there is traffic, pollen, dust etc but on the riogt evening it is a awesome to drive on winding roads suburbs, ideally a cab is great by the sea and mountain side where air is crisp and fresh

No sunroof can give the openess of a cab but there is something classic the way a Coupe looks , and it feels more solid to drive and looks better IMO

I have a boxster S which feels more rigid than 911 cab as boxster was deigned to be a cab to begin with. I used to have a Cayman s before and between cayman and boxster there is not much difference in driving feel

911 cab has better wind mgmt over boxster but 911 coupe imo is more satisfying to drive over cab

Test drive them back to back top up in cab and you will see

991 coupe has better visibility , sunroof is cool for a quick sun tan/fresh air , looks cooler in AWD , get both

I have a boxster S that i am keeping and getting a 911 Awd coupe
Old 10-04-2017 | 11:48 AM
See U n RearView
Instructor

Wink Looking forward to this forum!

I added to my details that I'm located in Bay Area, CA.

That is a great idea to drive them back to back to see. at this particular dealership, they didn't have a C4 Coupe, but I'm narrowing it down.

I'm hoping that I can also have 2 sets of wheels for winter driving to Lake Tahoe.

Although I have had my share of E39 M5's and E36 M3's, (2 of each...lol) I'm a little older now and think that my Rear end sliding days are partially over.

It is good to know about the panels in the Sunroof, as well as the sound lessening qualities of the Newer style Cabriolet top.

Now, i will research the differences between the C4S and the C4 Cab.

Performance wise, I was happy with the performance of the C4. I mean those Turbos were real time when I was blipping the throttle, and I didn't notice any lag.

What do you think about the options?
Attached Images    
Old 10-04-2017 | 11:54 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

As mentioned above you will save a ton of dough if you find a used one. If you can, look for a low mileage CPO. Warranty is double original. 7 years and 160,000 kms up here. Having said that, there is nothing like ordering a new car, waiting , taking delivery and breaking it in ...............
I've never driven a cab. Probably awesome.
Old 10-04-2017 | 12:14 PM
bwiele
Pro

Or you could consider buying the best looking 911...a TARGA!

(Just messing with you, but Targas are my favorite. Which is why I bought one in GTS form...)
Old 10-04-2017 | 12:55 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Cab cannot have SPASM.
Neither can C4.
Old 10-04-2017 | 12:58 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by subshooter
Neither can C4.
Learn something new everyday - I didn't know that!

OP - if you get RWD, the 2 best aesthetic mods on my car are the SPASM lip and LED clear corners. Also, likely the cheapest mods you can do
Old 10-04-2017 | 01:00 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

You don't want to drive a 911 to Tahoe in the winter through the 50 miles of sand blast on 80 no matter what tires you put on.

If you lived at Tahoe the C4 would be fine.

Quick Reply: Questions about my latest test drive...