991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about my latest test drive...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017 | 02:02 PM
Loft23
Instructor

Yay another fellow Bay Area guy! I went back and forth between a c4s vs C2S and went with yeh C2s. The 911 is so well planted with its weight at the wheels with most traction, you really don’t need awd. I had owned an Audi S4 and since then, never went back to AWD. It’s lighter, costs less, you can equip with SPASM and larger frunk. The only thing you lose is the slightly wider body, 1.7” to be exact on dimensions with a 1.5” wider track. .85” on either side. For those who aren’t car enthusiasts will never know the difference.
Old 10-04-2017 | 02:44 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by See U n RearView

4. I want sapphire blue, C4, Sport steering, Chrono, Sport exhaust, 18 way, full leather, and I want to trick out the inside with personal touches. Should I order,
:

How bad do you want these things and how bad is your desire to trick it out with personal touches?

I find myself in this exact situation every time I am looking for my next car. I have yet to find a car on the lot configured how I want it and end up ordering every time. If you are willing to take what you can find the smart money play would be to buy used. If you are firm on your desires you will have no choice but to order.
Old 10-05-2017 | 03:29 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

All of the Porsche options are overpriced. You'll get the best bang for your buck and best resale percentage if you order a base non-S car with no options.

But who does that?

I always prefer to order my car, get exactly what I want in the colors that I want. Buying used is obviously a much wiser financial decision.
Old 10-05-2017 | 06:34 PM
Loft23
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJBird993
All of the Porsche options are overpriced. You'll get the best bang for your buck and best resale percentage if you order a base non-S car with no options.

But who does that?

I always prefer to order my car, get exactly what I want in the colors that I want. Buying used is obviously a much wiser financial decision.
Yup, if you ever explored leasing with Porsche, the standard C2 and C2S have the highest residual of them all. Options on all models are also capped with an MRM (Maximum residualized MSRP), so anything above that will not be calculated in the residual amount. So getting that $6k Burmeister over the Bose will not get you more for the car, perhaps make the sale easier, but many of these expensive options is for your own personal satisfaction. Popular options is more valuable than individualized at resale. When I sold my F10 M5 w/ almost 120k MSRP, it didn't matter if I checked or unchecked certain options, the resale value remained consistent through KBB or NADA. Looking at auto trader, my fully loaded car was in the same ball park as others with lesser options. Consider a car as an expense that will make you happy and don't worry so much about the resale value as you will always be disappointed. Just don't go overboard if you buy new cars every 3-4 years. That's throwing money out the window and that's why buying used on fully loaded cars makes the most sense.
Old 10-06-2017 | 11:32 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

I live in the Bay Area and have a 991 GTS Cab. The only coupe I would ever get is a GT3 (but I would still hold onto my cab for the top down experience)

My wife and I have a standing Sat night date. We get a sitter, jump into the GTS when the sun is still up, put the top down and enjoy. We have never had a date where it was too cold coming home either. We just put on the winter hats and turn the seat heater on and your good to go. There is no better enjoyment than going on a date night with the top down after a nice meal, under the moonlight, listening to that flat six purr. (Sorry , got lost in the moment there)

I had a buddy get a C4 in the Bay Area. He always said if he had to do it again he would opt for the C2. It hardly rains here and he never brought it to Tahoe in the winter. I don't either. Why would you? That's what your DD SUV is for, right?

I vote C2S Cab or used GTS 991.1 Cab. No chance of disappointment with either of those choices for the Bay Area. Happy wife....
Old 10-06-2017 | 07:45 PM
See U n RearView
Instructor

Wink Thinking C4S 2013-2016

Thanks All! I am all over the place, with what I want. I have never owned a 911 before so I think I need to buy used or even a lease until I find something I really like.

The C4 is the base model, but with all that low end torque, i found it was sufficient for me currently... What means, I will probably be wanting more but in the S, it's only like .2 of a second faster...

I will have to drive a few more and really in vision how I will use it.

I am currently living at one of my units, until I can either buy or build my Ocean-vicinity home... So, I don't have garage space for the 911, which I feel it deserves..

I will dwell in this land and learn all i can before I make my move. I hope you don't mind me chatting and asking questions before I Acquire that special little guy, unlike some other Forums...

Ok a little eye candy... Press evil-grin guy--->
Old 10-06-2017 | 11:16 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Regarding #2 -

In my experiences - The C4 has a different feel than a C2.

The 4 front end will feel more planted and heavy.

The 2 will feel lighter and "bob" up and down a bit more.

Personally, I liked the C4 feeling better than the C2. I do feel the C2 feels a bit light. During hard driving the C4 also feels more buttoned down. But that's just me.

Best is to drive all variations as possible.
Old 10-07-2017 | 02:30 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dewinator
You don't want to drive a 911 to Tahoe in the winter through the 50 miles of sand blast on 80 no matter what tires you put on.

If you lived at Tahoe the C4 would be fine.
^^^^ So true -- sand blast is no fun, and sometimes it can't be avoided. In addition, the ground clearance is insufficient to drive through a moderate snow storm. SUV's are essential for Sierra winter driving -- preferably with Snow tires.

Quick Reply: Questions about my latest test drive...