Sponsored by:

Keyless warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Keyless warning

Thieves have been using some technology like that described in the below link to enter cars in my driveway and around my neighborhood. Happened to my wife's car last night. From outside your house, they hack your key fob by amplifying the signal your fob is emitting as it's simply sitting there unused inside your house. If you have a keyless entry and drive, it can also be used to steal your car. My car wasn't stolen, but I'm now freaked out about it and wish I hadn't ordered that option. I have to buy a signal blocking pouch and remember to store my keys there every night--which is more of a pain than it would have been for me just to use the key fob in the ignition to start the car. Just a word of warning to those placing orders. This type of theft is only likely to become more widespread.

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/just-p...can-steal-car/

Last edited by Jzips; 10-03-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:18 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jzips
Thiefs have been using some technology like that described in the below link to enter cars in my driveway and around my neighborhood. Happened to my wife's car last night. From outside your house, they hack your key fob by amplifying the signal your fob is emitting as it's simply sitting there unused inside your house. If you have a keyless entry and drive, it can also be used to steal your car. My car wasn't stolen, but I'm now freaked out about it and wish I hadn't ordered that option. I have to buy a signal blocking pouch and remember to store my keys there every night--which is more of a pain than it would have been for me just to use the key fob in the ignition to start the car. Just a word of warning to those placing orders. This type of theft is only likely to become more widespread.

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/just-p...can-steal-car/
This requires two devices, one within a few feet of your car, and the other (appears to be a laptop in the video), a few feet from your key fob.

It also requires two steps, steal the unlock signal (the next time you unlock the car), then come back to use that signal when you next lock the car and walk away. Both steps would require someone to be a few feet away from your key fob.

Even if Porsche was one of the vehicles that was susceptible to this type of hack (the German article does not include Porsche among the 24 European cars that were hacked), the above scenario is difficult to duplicate in real life. Not saying it could never happen, but it is impractical and dependent on the right set of circumstances. It would be easier for a thief to just tow your Porsche away.

The hack that may be occurring in your neighborhood is likely a different, and much easier way to crack into a car because it only requires one transmitter, and does not require being near the key fob. The downside is it is not likely to work on newer vehicles. https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/s...c-thieves.html
Old 10-03-2017, 04:21 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

You can also store your fob in any metal box or simply aluminum foil.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:28 PM
zivilyn861
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a bit of this in more public scenarios where the thieves stay within a decent range of people walking back to their cars in a parking lot, but I've never seen it in a neighborhood. Seems too situational (as described above) to not be noticed. Interesting to hear the account.

I appreciate you sending along the information. While I think most people will accept the risk for the ease of use, I'm sure it'll be helpful to someone looking to place an order.

For what it's worth, I took it off of my order... then again, I do security for a living, so I come a bit more paranoid than the average joe.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Or just keep the fob/ key in the fridg
Old 10-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Jzips
Instructor

Originally Posted by phx991
Even if Porsche was one of the vehicles that was susceptible to this type of hack (the German article does not include Porsche among the 24 European cars that were hacked), the above scenario is difficult to duplicate in real life. Not saying it could never happen, but it is impractical and dependent on the right set of circumstances. It would be easier for a thief to just tow your Porsche away.
This is simply not true. It's happened to our cars 3 times (BMW, Cadillac), all while we were sleeping just above the cars. It's happened to our neighbors' Mercedes and Jags. It's easy and happens fast. Just want to make sure that incorrect info doesn't blunt the value of my warning.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:30 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I just can't go through life worrying about every potential problem. I just use common sense (lock my car, park in a garage, park in safe places, live in safe places) and maintain and purchase quality insurance. If it happens, it sucks, but I'll move on. I have BIGGER fish to fry.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:39 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

45mm glock
Old 10-03-2017, 06:10 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by phx991
This requires two devices, one within a few feet of your car, and the other (appears to be a laptop in the video), a few feet from your key fob.

It also requires two steps, steal the unlock signal (the next time you unlock the car), then come back to use that signal when you next lock the car and walk away. Both steps would require someone to be a few feet away from your key fob.

The hack that may be occurring in your neighborhood is likely a different, and much easier way to crack into a car because it only requires one transmitter, and does not require being near the key fob. The downside is it is not likely to work on newer vehicles. https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/s...c-thieves.html
Nope, it sounds like this system tricks the car into communicating with the car whether you press a button on the fob or not. Remember, with Entry & Go, the car and key are constantly listening for each other and when they get a signal, they'll respond and attempt to verify the transponder code. With one transceiver near the key (say, next to you in the coffee shop) and the other near the car, they'll complete the chain. Just requires more power to amplify the two signals.

Really no steps needed and if they can capture the transponder info and code scheme, they don't need the fob any more.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:23 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
You can also store your fob in any metal box or simply aluminum foil.

I would get one of these...just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:32 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I just can't go through life worrying about every potential problem. I just use common sense (lock my car, park in a garage, park in safe places, live in safe places) and maintain and purchase quality insurance. If it happens, it sucks, but I'll move on. I have BIGGER fish to fry.
X2
Old 10-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Jzips
Instructor

Just found this and followed the procedure. Now if those f-cks get in my car they can't start it without the physical key fob (at least I think so). So they can steal my f-cking iPhone cable or the coins in my ashtray, but not my car.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-easy-way.html
Old 10-03-2017, 11:15 PM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg

I would get one of these...just to be on the safe side.
LOL.... I for one will chill on this much to-do-about nothing issue and just love the hell out of my new baby in spite of all the over priced bells & whistles in my build.

Quick Reply: Keyless warning