Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tuck in your Porsche for the winter...

Old 09-30-2017, 08:44 AM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 34 Posts
Default How to tuck in your Porsche for the winter...

Well, after her first season on the road (been driving her since late March—this picture is on her birth/delivery day), and now on the eve of October, it's getting to be beddy-bye time.

Why not keep her on the road this winter? She's a C2S, I live in New England, my summer tires get really sketchy below 50 degrees, and I don't want to turn my pride and joy into a salt-lick like this, my former ride.

(That's what I have a truck for.)

Already the TPMS is going a little crazy with the temperature swings. So sometime between now and Thanksgiving, I plan on washing her down, covering her up, and keeping her on the dealer-supplied trickle-charger in an attached garage (no critters or mice).

Anything else to do to tuck her in until spring?
Old 09-30-2017, 09:01 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 65 Posts

I do exactly the same thing, but I reside in The Peoples Republik of New York, LI. I have done it the same way for 8 years and two 911's with no problems. Last year though when I went to take the car out in the spring, apparently mice had eaten some of my wiring harness and made a nest in the fresh air intake in the front. This year I'm going to try dryer strips all over the car as well as traps and no cover on the car. Be aware mice can get in to an attached heated garage. I learned the hard way. BTW if anybody has any suggestions as to keeping the mice away short of a cat, I'm all ears.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:12 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

All maintenance up to date.
Fresh oil.
Full detail.
Battery maintainer.
Fuel tank very-very full.
StaBil run in the fuel, 1 ounce per 2.5 gallons.
Tires pumped to 55-58 psi.
Car cover.
Park in neutral, choke wheels.
Turn off most insurance coverages.
Desiccant in cabin.
Lock car.
Secure keys.
First Saturday of each month, hand roll car about 12". Further eliminates flat spots.
If unheated garage and bare concrete floor, park on a thick mill plastic painter's tarp.
Don't start car till spring.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:16 AM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Thank you LexVan. Good bedtime list. A thought: why not wait until spring to do full detail and fresh oil?
Old 09-30-2017, 10:19 AM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Guzzgreg, is it possible that we both overlap on the Venn diagram of P-car and Guzzi fascination? Here's my Italian two-wheeler:

Old 09-30-2017, 10:25 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by MeshGearFox
Good bedtime list. A thought: why not wait until spring to do full detail and fresh oil?
Well, lots of reasons.

Clean car- why store and cover a dirty car? Plus, come March/April I'm ready to roll, and the car looks brand new. I want to drive in the Spring, not detail my car.

Fresh Oil- exposure to combustion by products. And again, I want to drive in the spring, not get an oil change. I'm getting my 5,000 mile oil change in about 2 weeks. I'll probably drive another 1,500 miles before storage by late October. This is a non issue, and my car gets driven. Not stop & go city driving. If I was closer to 4,000 miles, I'd do it again. I'm giving you the conservative approach.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:34 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

Here is how I put mine away. Oh wait I don't. :-)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...pin+PA4+N-Spec
Old 09-30-2017, 10:53 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

This thread makes me sad.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:55 AM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 14 Posts

That's what I love about living in the south. I don't have to park my summer tired cars for more than a week at any time.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:57 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Leader
This thread makes me sad.
Don't feel sad for me. I will have driven over 12,000 amazing wonderful miles this season from late March till late October. Plus, my winter toys/sports/hobbies keep me very occupied from November-February. Frankly, I enjoy the mini Porsche "vacation" every year. Makes me appreciate the car more when it gets taken out in the spring.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:58 AM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Anyone in NoVa (or north) drive their P car throughout the winter?

I am not worried about my cars ability and performance in the bad weather...it is the other people...that just don't care.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:21 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
All maintenance up to date.
Fresh oil.
Full detail.
Battery maintainer.
Fuel tank very-very full.
StaBil run in the fuel, 1 ounce per 2.5 gallons.
Tires pumped to 55-58 psi.
Car cover.
Park in neutral, choke wheels.
Turn off most insurance coverages.
Desiccant in cabin.
Lock car.
Secure keys.
First Saturday of each month, hand roll car about 12". Further eliminates flat spots.
If unheated garage and bare concrete floor, park on a thick mill plastic painter's tarp.
Don't start car till spring.
What desiccant do you use? Also, I have read the marine grade Stabil was better to use with ethanol gas (all I can get here). Opinion there?
Thanks.
I have a heated barn and will drive the car if we get a break in the weather during the winter, but will basically store it from next month to April or so. If the weather gets really bad, I use the Tundra with Blizzaks and put the Benz in the barn next to the P car. Those run flat "all season" tire suck IMO.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:33 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Keadog
What desiccant do you use? Also, I have read the marine grade Stabil was better to use with ethanol gas (all I can get here). Opinion there?
Thanks.
I have a heated barn and will drive the car if we get a break in the weather during the winter, but will basically store it from next month to April or so. If the weather gets really bad, I use the Tundra with Blizzaks and put the Benz in the barn next to the P car. Those run flat "all season" tire suck IMO.
Hey Dog!

Gawd your car looks amazing. I've been really enjoying your photos that have been posted.

I use your basic silica bead desiccant. I actually have several pounds of it. It's overkill but I'm a huge fan of overkill and it's easy to do. Plus, every other year I can recharge the silica beads by baking in the oven for about 4 hours at 250 ish.

I've heard good things about the Marine StaBil. I think it's better for the fuels with ethanol. I just haven't used it yet. I still use the red stuff.

If you go for a drive mid winter, just drive long enough to get everything up to temperature. In my area, salt residue is an issue, so I park it all winter long.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:29 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by wes66vette
Anyone in NoVa (or north) drive their P car throughout the winter?

I am not worried about my cars ability and performance in the bad weather...it is the other people...that just don't care.
Yes, TT as a daily driver so 4 wheel drive. As you know, we could go a whole winter without much snow. If you don’t change your tires, be mindful of the cold pavement. Getting a 964 which I won’t drive much in the winter, but modern 911s can absolutely take it.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:49 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg
I do exactly the same thing, but I reside in The Peoples Republik of New York, LI. I have done it the same way for 8 years and two 911's with no problems. Last year though when I went to take the car out in the spring, apparently mice had eaten some of my wiring harness and made a nest in the fresh air intake in the front. This year I'm going to try dryer strips all over the car as well as traps and no cover on the car. Be aware mice can get in to an attached heated garage. I learned the hard way. BTW if anybody has any suggestions as to keeping the mice away short of a cat, I'm all ears.
See if your hardware store has a product called Mouse Magic. Put a couple pouches under the car and replace them halfway through the winter. Has always worked for me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to tuck in your Porsche for the winter...