Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 991 C4 Cab options/build - PDCC with 4S??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017 | 12:59 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Default 2018 991 C4 Cab options/build - PDCC with 4S??

Speccing my 2018 C4 Cab build with the dealer- No track just spirited drive around bends and daily driver

1) Carrara White with red/black interior, 911 s wheels painted in Gloss blk
2) Red top
3) PDK , PSE , Sport chrono and Power Steering plus
4) Heated Carbon fiber steering wheel
5) Premium package plus and Lane change assist
6) red dials with red chrono and red belts

I am happy with C4 power, only reason I need to go with C4s is to GET PDCC if it really helps with body roll or does pasm in sport takes care of body roll ( i doubt it , atleast in my test drives i felt it leans more compared to Boxster S)

I need help from PDCC owners on how they feel about PDCC and if it really helps with flat cornering and ride quality?

Thank you in advance for the feedback
Old 09-22-2017 | 01:36 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, PDCC helps with both ride comfort and body roll. PDCC is - effectively - variable-stiffness anti-roll bars (its actually in the drop links) that enables the 'bar' to be soft when you're going straight thereby enabling a less bone-jarring ride and then to be a super-stiff bar when you corner thereby enabling flat cornering.

PDCC increases the 'dynamic range'; it makes for a better street car without giving-up anything at the edge of the envelope. Or, it makes for a better track car without giving-up anything in terms of every-day usability.

I love it. Some people can't tell the difference on the street (you need pretty bumpy roads) and some people think it feels unnatural on the track.
Old 09-22-2017 | 01:41 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by casaforte9
I am happy with C4 power, only reason I need to go with C4s is to GET PDCC
This--^ A C4 base with PDCC would be my ideal four-season daily-driver. But Porsche won't build it
Old 09-22-2017 | 01:52 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Add: Front End Lift

Subtract: Power Steering Plus

Subtract: S option and buy yourself a swimming pool instead. Straight C4 cab is capable of providing more non body roll "spirited" driving than most anybody can handle.

Don't forget to check off the free stuff and tell the SA you want Voice Control, if, indeed, you're looking for it.

Color selections are bold and gutsy. Very nice.
Old 09-22-2017 | 02:11 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Love my PDCC and also PCCB's.
Eric
Old 09-22-2017 | 02:20 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Driven both, own a 991.1 GTS without it and don't miss it. It pretty much does what worf928 states, but not enough for me to spend $3k on it (at least where I drive). In your case it's a lot more $$$ as you have to bump up to an S.

I find the "standard" mode for PASM just fine for my driving,....firm but comfortable. All up to you.
Old 09-22-2017 | 02:46 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

I've had my C4 GTS Coup with PDCC for just over one month. Like so much of Porsche technology, I loved my '06 4S Cab without it. Now that I have PDCC, I love it. Much more comfortable ride especially if you drive often or on poor roads which we seem to have more of all the time in L.A. I think the benefit would be even more pronounced in a cab. The ride leveling works nicely during acceleration and braking too.

My $.02 to consider:

Great combination. Have you seen a car in metallic white? They are stunning, especially in the sun.
2) Red top
3) PDK , PSE , Sport chrono and Power Steering plus
Power steering plus is unecessary. The 4S / GTS steering is perfectly easy at all times.
4) Heated Carbon fiber steering wheel
Do this only if you are getting the Carbon Fiber interior package. Otherwise it will just "stick out." Also note the CF wheel gets very hot in the sun.
5) Premium package plus and Lane change assist
The cab's visibility is not great when the top is up. But the Porsche Lane change assist lights up inside the cabin, not on the mirror like other systems. I found it distracting rather than an assist.
6) red dials with red chrono and red belts
Purely subjective but consider white guages & chrono with a white car. This makes the look flow between the contrasting interior / exterior and white is easier to look at over time.

Good luck with your build.
Old 09-22-2017 | 10:49 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Pass on PDCC. Feels weird.
Old 09-23-2017 | 02:39 AM
Loft23
Instructor

I passed on PDCC with my 991.2;. In the 991.1 generation where the cars were 10mm taller and rear-wheel steering was not an option, PDCC improves handling drastically. It's technology that came from their SUV to reduce body roll and maintain more contact with the road. With the latest generation 991.2, the car is 10mm lower and if you opt for SPASM, it's another 10mm lower. Lower center of gravity and stiffer suspension. With the addition of rear-axle steering, which is a MUST, the effects PDCC has on your car is moot in terms of performance. You can see YouTube videos by Porsche comparing cars with PDCC and without. You will notice that PDCC w/ rear-axle steering was compared to one with neither. Nowhere will they compare two cars with rear-axle steering with and without PDCC. Even in their test, track time between the two cars were 4/10s faster, which Imo is attributed to the rear-axle steering. You are rotating about an axis at a lower center of gravity with stiffer springs. Perhaps you may see a difference with acceleration and braking, but you don't track so it's not an issue.

In terms of ride, some people have complained about artificial road compensation that got them motion sick. The point of having a Porsche is to feel every undulation of the road and feel connected. I don't want a suspension system that confuses my senses.
Old 09-23-2017 | 02:45 AM
Loft23
Instructor

Cool

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN

My $.02 to consider:

Great combination. Have you seen a car in metallic white? They are stunning, especially in the sun.

I completely agree I only have 200 miles on it so far, but tomorrow I will be taking it out for a ride and proper photoshoot with my full-frame camera. Here is an iPhone pic.

991.2 Carrera S in Carrera White metallic with Bordeaux-black interior.
Old 09-23-2017 | 12:38 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I like PDCC. I used it yesterday on a mountain road drive, and I can tell the difference when it’s activated.
Old 09-23-2017 | 02:01 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I like PDCC. I used it yesterday on a mountain road drive, and I can tell the difference when it’s activated.
PDCC is always active. The switch toggles PDCC and PASM between normal and sport mode.
Old 09-24-2017 | 02:56 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
PDCC is always active. The switch toggles PDCC and PASM between normal and sport mode.
Got it, thanks. I guess I could tell the difference between normal and sport then!

Quick Reply: 2018 991 C4 Cab options/build - PDCC with 4S??