Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017 | 04:33 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by myamymy
That's right. Never use Costco for installation as they don't have proper equipment to install low profile tires AND high speed balance.
Yup. Great example here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9951...insurance.html

I've been very loyal to The Tire Rack for many years. One of the main reasons is becuase I can drive over to their South Bend, IN facility, and get outstanding installation for $15 wheel. I load the wheels up in my SUV and make the 1/2 day trip.
Old 09-08-2017 | 04:52 PM
SMZ
Advanced

Road hazard protection WAS included on the pilot 4S when I got them from tire rack last month. Your porsche dealer will meet the tire rack price (or just have you ship to them) but their install cost is going to be astronomical (I was quoted like $450 from mine) so I just make the trip to SouthBend like Lexvan.
Old 09-08-2017 | 05:06 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by SMZ
Your porsche dealer will meet the tire rack price (or just have you ship to them)
This is TRUE because the Tire Rack in the official tire distributor for PCNA and their N rated tires.
Old 09-08-2017 | 05:22 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Why were your P-Zero's so bad?

My first set wore very unevenly and that was fixed with a car alignment at 9K miles. From that point on I've gone back and fourth between P-Zero's and MPSS and all sets since have worn very evenly, quiet and had adequate grip for my driving style which is quite quick. I do sneak out a few more miles on the MPSS but both tires have adequately performed.

If anyone has any New P-Zero take off's (305 rears) they want to get out of their garage please let me know. I'm always looking for some tires.
Old 09-08-2017 | 07:07 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Here's a question. I've picked up a nail in one of my rear tires (OEM P Zeros) on my Boxster. It's outside the patchable/pluggable area, so I'm going to replace the rear tires. They all have about 50-50% life on them, so I don't need to replace the fronts yet.

What would the implications be if I put the Pilots on just the rear and then, when the time comes, match up the fronts with the Pilots? Any issues with mismatching front to rear?
Old 09-08-2017 | 08:36 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

My race shop will do that. I personally haven't tried it.
Old 09-08-2017 | 08:43 PM
smbryan
Racer

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Why were your P-Zero's so bad?

If anyone has any New P-Zero take off's (305 rears) they want to get out of their garage please let me know. I'm always looking for some tires.
Have a set at 50%+ ... if you are serious let me know
Old 09-09-2017 | 10:36 PM
ahughes3214
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexVan
I think it would be smart and prudent to order the tires in February or March.
Thank you LexVan, I appreciate the input. Andrew
Old 09-09-2017 | 11:03 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Not after you factor in rim damage.
They charge for rim damage?
Old 09-10-2017 | 04:19 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiahh
Here's a question. I've picked up a nail in one of my rear tires (OEM P Zeros) on my Boxster. It's outside the patchable/pluggable area, so I'm going to replace the rear tires. They all have about 50-50% life on them, so I don't need to replace the fronts yet.

What would the implications be if I put the Pilots on just the rear and then, when the time comes, match up the fronts with the Pilots? Any issues with mismatching front to rear?
At the limits of traction one end of the car may let go before the other end starts to move around.
Old 09-10-2017 | 09:21 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SMZ
Road hazard protection WAS included on the pilot 4S when I got them from tire rack last month. Your porsche dealer will meet the tire rack price (or just have you ship to them) but their install cost is going to be astronomical (I was quoted like $450 from mine) so I just make the trip to SouthBend like Lexvan.
That dealer may have overcharged big time but don't assume they all do. Many dealers will have top-of-the-line equipment for this.

My local dealer charges $200 with tires I bring in myself (from TireRack). It is a little higher than many, but they use an automated touch-less tire mounting/dismounting machine, the top-of-the-line Hunter road force balancer, and good-looking lower-adhesion weights that can be reasonably removed the next time around. They also cleanly remove any old adhesive from the old weights. That peace of mind and attention-to-detail is well worth $200 to me. I agree that at $450 I would be looking for alternatives! LexVan's price at TireRack is certainly enviable though.
Old 09-10-2017 | 09:27 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37
At the limits of traction one end of the car may let go before the other end starts to move around.
ace37's answer here is spot-on. I understand that not everyone drives the cars to their lateral limits but if you do this is a significant consideration. And don't forget to consider age and heat-cycle hardening differences in addition to tread depth.

Porsche won't even let a car pass CPO certification regardless of tread depth if the tires don't match up in age, tire make/model, and ratings. So they must think it is important too since there isn't a big financial incentive for them to require this as part of the CPO otherwise (as far as I can think of).
Old 09-10-2017 | 07:48 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Just got 4 new M 4S and stored them......will be about 1 month till I need them. Thought I'd get them early so when I need them, I'll have them. Total cost was $1300 from direct tire out the door with $100 rebate, so will be $1200. Will take to a specialty wheel guy here to mount. Excited to try after my P Zero's!

Quick Reply: Cheapest Michelin Pilot Sport 4S